• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by igm.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Giro Helmets…which one?
  • Archiedale
    Free Member

Need a new lid.Looking at a Giro, but which one.On a budget and to use for general trail riding. thanks.

druidh
    Free Member

The cheapest one – they’re all tested to the same standards.

Rich
    Free Member

Hex is good, I paid about £35.

shinsplints

what rich said – hex would suit you fine for “general trail riding”,in fact any sort of riding.

bomberman
    Free Member

i had a hex, very comfy it was and saved my nut many a time get one 😉

Oggles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Hex! Great fit for my head and nice styling. I wouldn’t mind a Xen, but for the price the Hex is unbeatable.

grumm
    Free Member

Hex if it fits.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Hex, cheap, good fit, good looks………

freeman
    Free Member

hex here

drain

I’ve got a Xen for the same price as a Hex which is great. The Indicator is also an excellent lid and even cheaper than the Hex.

james
    Free Member

“and saved my nut many a time get one “

Have you replaced it at all after the knocks?

If a giro doesn’t fit (like me) the specialized instinct (£50 – though probably harder to find as discounted as the hex) is really good, has a crash replacement scheme like giros

bomberman
    Free Member

Have you replaced it at all after the knocks?

didn’t need it. no cracks, structural damage whatsoever just a couple of scratches. the visor took the impact of a bad faceplant and just pinged off. if i hadn’t got a xen i would’ve kept it but i sold it to someone on here and he was more than happy with it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got an athlon. get a hex.

twang
    Free Member

Anybody got or even seen the new phase? Looks good but with helmets you really have to try before you buy (especially if you’ve got a mekon head!)

igm

You can’t tell if expanded polystyrene has structrual damage. If it really did save your head, it’s time to replace it. The way they absorb the energy, like seat belts, child seats and crumple zones, is by damaging their internal structure I believe – and you’re meant to replace any of those devices after they have been used.

Polystyrene also goes off over time – though I’m not sure if that’s due to time or to light (possibly UV) so old helmets ain’t as effective.

I’ve put myself in hospital for a week with concussion – I wouldn’t recommend it, particularly as with a lot of people on here your livelihood depends on being able to use you brain.

Broken bones on the other hand are fine; so save money by not buying body armour and get replace your hat when it needs it.

varzi
    Free Member

another hex, excellent. indicator v good too but not quite as well ventilated (predictably for the price).

bomberman
    Free Member

igm, thanks for the science lesson

igm

Sorry I didn’t mean to lecture – I just get touchy about head injuries. Bad experiences, you know. The week in hospital was coming off a bike. The minor concussions have been from rugby.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Giro Helmets…which one?’ is closed to new replies.