Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • girl pledges to donate 10p per Facebook like for her ice bucket challenge…
  • Pook

… And she’s currently at 75,000 likes! Poor girl is determined tto do what she has said but £7500… Christ!

davosaurusrex

At the risk of sounding like a miserable old git (which I am to be fair) I’m avoiding Facebook at the moment because it’s just a stream of bloody ice bucket challenges!

catschroedinger
    Free Member

At the risk of also sounding miserable ,I don’t give a chuff about it its moronic ,just donate money if you need to ,if you feel the need for a pat on the back by being a media whore then maybe you missed the point of helping others? But hey this must be the type of charitable giving that exists ,what next setting yourself alight

scotia
    Free Member

Done any research about ALS? Seen anything about Pete Frates?

Might change your opinion.. then again this is stw..

maccruiskeen

I’m avoiding Facebook at the moment because it’s just a stream of bloody ice bucket challenges!

Nominates davosaurusrex for the bucket of hot fat challenge.

Done any research about ALS? Seen anything about Pete Frates?

noticed how many of those doing these ice bucket challenges are donating to other charities instead?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Motor neurone disease in this country. The difference in name has caused something confusion but there’s a real stick kicking up about one of the cancer charities paying for Facebook and Google adds to get to the top of listings to steal the thunder from als/mnd.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not JLS then? Whoops.

13thfloormonk

In a real moment of miserable-bastardness, I started wondering how much wasted energy all those piles of ice cubes represent, I mean, you wouldn’t leave the fridge door open for two days for charity would you?

p.s. I do plan to accept my nomination and donate, going to find a freezing cold waterfall to stand under and only link the video to the person who nominated me 8)

vickypea
    Free Member

Macmillan cancer tried to jump on the ice bucket challenge bandwagon so if you google ‘ice bucket challenge”, the first result you get is Macmillan. It seems to have backfired on Macmillan though.

anagallis_arvensis

MacMillan do care for people with motor neurons disease tbf

vickypea
    Free Member

They told me that they also care for people with dementia but that’s not the point. There are loads of cancer charities raising money and awareness, but there are numerous life-threatening, devastating diseases in addition to cancer that have very poor funding. The ice bucket thing was to raise awareness of ALS/MND, and ‘Macmillan Cancer Support’ was trying to muscle in.

GrahamS

7 grand yikes! She should have known that would backfire – I’ve seen the “If I get 100 Likes my dad will buy a puppy” posts get well into the millions 😀

Agree with the point about Macmillan jumping on the bandwagon – I’m sure it was done with the best of intentions, but it really does look like they’ve highjacked another charity’s campaign which was meant to raise the profile of ALS/MND.

Did one at the weekend btw (for MND): I was camping so no ice handy – I took a dip in the Irish Sea instead – that did the trick. Brrrr!

mudshark
    Free Member

I don’t give a chuff about it its moronic ,just donate money if you need to ,if you feel the need for a pat on the back by being a media whore then maybe you missed the point of helping others?

The point is it encourages people to give money who wouldn’t otherwise.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

http://parade.condenast.com/329618/jesswozinsky/top-als-ice-bucket-challenge-fundraiser-dies-at-27/

Would you jump off a cliff if someone told you to? and this isn’t the first serious injury even, there’s been plenty heading off to A&E

I’m actually surprised they weren’t using the harlem shake for parkinsons awareness.

GrahamS

Exactly! If you think about it, it is basically boils down to “I have donated some money. I nominate three mates to donate money” with the added benefit of making your friends laugh “being a media whore”.

Would you jump off a cliff if someone told you to? and this isn’t the first serious injury even, there’s been plenty heading off to A&E

He didn’t die pouring a bucket of ice water over his head did he, you muppet. 😆

catschroedinger
    Free Member

He didn’t die pouring a bucket of ice water over his head did he, you muppet.

you really have to die these days to get to the big money, standing there with a bucket at the end of Tesco’s cash register, what could possibly go wrong.

Trying to find facebook linky of guy who did actually pass out and smash his frontal lobe, doing this.

funkrodent

The ice bucket thing was to raise awareness of ALS/MND, and ‘Macmillan Cancer Support’ was trying to muscle in.

Agreed. It does look a bit sneaky. That said I wouldn’t worry too much about the guys at ALS given that

The ALS Association reports that it received $31.5 million in donations compared to $1.9 million during the same time period last year

Seems to have done the trick anyway 🙂

kayak23

The other day I’d never heard of this ‘craze’, but then a friend nominated me. Within two hours I’d done it and filmed it with my gopro strapped to my leg and another camera at a wide angle, made a nice little video of it.

Doesn’t make me a media whore. I’ve done plenty of stupid things in front of mates, just this one was filmed.

I have to admit I did very little research before it and I donated some money to Macmillan. After doing it I researched it further, found out it was an annoying chain thing and also that I’d unintentionally given money to the wrong charity. I then deleted my video from Facebook.

You know what though? Meh……..

Although cringeworthy to have done something the likes of Justin Bieber have done, it has raised awareness and raised money. I gave money to the wrong charity, but I gave money to charity…
    Wouldn’t have done that just now without it.

Some folks are just miserable, cynical buggers…

GrahamS

you really have to die these days to get to the big money

Are you deliberately trying to misrepresent this to justify your own miserableness? Corey Griffin didn’t die doing an ice bucket challenge. He didn’t die raising money.

He died after a party when he jumped into the sea off a building that locals use as a diving perch. Tragic, but nothing to do with pouring a bucket of water over your head.

redwoods
    Free Member

When my mum died from Motor Neurone Disease 10 years ago no one had heard of it. When Onzadog did the Outlaw triathlon last month and we decided to use that to raise money for the MNDA, I still got a sense that many people didn’t really know what it was.
    So to see such an explosion of publicity/awareness/fundraising and suddenly the whole world be talking about it, is just beyond words for me.

Yes, I’m sure some folks are irritated that it’s featured on their newsfeeds every day and I’m sure some people do it and don’t donate anything, but for every one of those people there are people who are donating who otherwise might not have. Plus I’ve seen and heard of many people who’ve taken the trouble to find out what this ALS/MND thing is, so to my mind it’s totally worth it.

GrahamS

Although cringeworthy to have done something the likes of Justin Bieber have done

If it makes you feel better the Foo Fighters did it too… with style…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZOjLv0_6k[/video]

MrSmith
    Free Member

a very smart move by the marketing people. advertising is expensive but if you invent a donating pyramid scheme it costs you nothing.
    1×3=3
    3×3=9
    3×9=27
    3×27=81
    3×81=243
    3×243=729
    3×729=2187
    3×2187=6561
    3×6561=19683
    3×19683=59049
    3×59049=177147
    3×177147=531441
    3×531441=1594323
    3×1594323=4782969
    3×4782969=14348907
    3×14348907=43046721
    3×43046721=129140163
    3×129140163=387420489
    3×387420489=11622614467

in 20 referral steps you have 11622614467 people tipping water over their heads, if they donate £3 each thats £31381059609 😯

legend
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    … And she’s currently at 75,000 likes! Poor girl is determined tto do what she has said but £7500… Christ!

Liked

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Classic STW!!

It’s raised millions for ALS and made people, including me, research the disease.

The only thing that annoys me is the people who come on are clearly doing it solely because they are nominated by a friend and have no care for the reason nor have any intention of donating or mentioning the fact it’s for ALS!

I’ve seen people swearing that someone nominated them like it’s a punishment.

Besides just scroll past it on Facebook.

GrahamS

Like a boss:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss[/video]

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘girl pledges to donate 10p per Facebook like for her ice bucket challenge…’ is closed to new replies.