Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Gin
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You cant beat some of this…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/noDyMV]TheBotanist22[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Made here…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/fsw2kw]Islay 2011 003[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

In this gin still… Ugly Betty!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dx5qnA]015[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Drac

For a tonic alternative the Fentimans Rose lemonade is really great.

Oh yes on hot day.

iainc

Also worth dropping the lemon or lime slice, especially if using a quality tonic, let’s more taste come through. Especially with the botanical gins.

landslide

I’m more of a whisky person, but my wife likes Brecon and Eggegard (Norway).

stox
    Free Member

Visiting the inlaws for a few nights and have this to try later …

Twodogs

My current favorites are Death’s Door, Aviation (both American) and G’vin Fleuraison (French, and my favourite ever gin)

ericemel
    Free Member

OK, I love my gins and throwing a wild card out here, just been introduced to this and it is currently my no1, I challenge you to find better.

Mixed fentimans tonic, mint spring and if you fancy it a few berries in the glass.

Oh and its Gemran…

Twodogs

I challenge you to find better

Um….you mean you challenge us to find one that you think tastes better? Tricky, given how subjective taste is….

ransos
    Free Member

You’ll do well to reliably identify different gins, heavily diluted and chilled, with a strongly flavoured mixer. A good tonic makes all the differene, IME.

thomthumb
    Free Member

plenty of ice – keep it cold
    garnish the gin (match the botanicals)
    good tonic
    don’t make it too strong – too many people make it way to strong.

newest gin in our house is Gin Mare – from Catalonia with rosemary, basil, olives and thyme – haven’t experimented with garnish for this one yet – not as overpowering as it sounds.

cucumber works well with cucumber infused gins – lots of bars chucking it in any G&T – cos they’ve seen it elsewhere.

BillMC

Adnam’s gin and Fevertree tonic, killer combo.

sbob
    Free Member

cucumber works well with cucumber infused gins – lots of bars chucking it in any G&T – cos they’ve seen it elsewhere.

Cucumber works with many gins, including the Monkey 47 shown above.

sbob
    Free Member

BillMC – Member

Adnam’s gin

Surprised by that; nice tipple.

mboy
    Free Member

So… Discovered Opihr and Fever Tree Tonic last night… Mmmmmm 😛

Will go so far as to say I’ve not found anything I can’t drink yet, but some are definitely more of an acquired taste than others. Definitely need to get on a Gin tasting evening asap!

alishand

By far my favourite is this small batch gin from Edinburgh. The key is to finding it when its available though. It’s got very popular, very quickly.

Electric Spirit Co

Gary_M
    Free Member

The Botanist is a lovely gin, bought a bottle of Indian Summer at the weekend, £19.99 at Aldi, and it’s very nice. Also have a bottle of hortus and portobello road on the go at the minute.

mboy
    Free Member

Opinions of Greenall’s? I know it’s relatively mainstream, but I’m finding it a fair bit smoother than Gordon’s and it’s not too badly priced.

Have just found this place…

http://www.cotswoldsploughhotel.com/

It’s only about 45mins drive from me, offers a few nice little packages for the gin drinker including overnight stays, so thinking of getting me and the GF a night down there soon! 😀

Free Member

there’s some stunning gin suggestions here, so i don’t have anything to add to that. However, if you fancy a few hours out of the house and are daarn saarf, check this out: http://distillery.bombaysapphire.com/

BigJohn

In little old boring Stafford we, surprisingly, have had a gin bar open in the town square. Lots of beards on display, natch, but lots of fancy gins and artisan (so it says on the label) beers.
    Mrs BigJohn seems to like a dirty Mediterranean, which isn’t a barman, but is a Gin Mare with a poncy tonic and a dollop of gravy out of the olive jar. Cheap at £8 a go. FFS. They don’t do martinis apparently because they can’t get the most important ingredient – good ice. They say it has to be made in a dedicated ice freezer. I suppose the Beefeater Gibsons I make at home (with 2 cocktail onions and 2 cocktail gherkins) would make their scrotums explode in a rage.
    We’ll probably nip down there tomorrow night for a couple before cycling on to the Railway Inn for a few pints of Bass.

timmys

Anyone tried Dyfi gin?

Visited them yesterday and picked up a bottle of their Pollination gin. Nice guys and they seem to know their stuff.

mboy
    Free Member

Just bought a bottle of Martin Miller’s and some Fever Tree Tonic, and… WOW!

I’m in heaven!!!

This is absolute bliss… I could get very used to this! 😛

M6TTF
    Free Member

Good choice Mboy, I love Martin Millers. I just got a bottle of Forest Gin as a leaving gift, well chuffed. Got a bottle of Thomas Dakin at the airport when we went away. Manchester Gin, also really good

onlysteel
    Free Member

Currently enjoying a Plymouth Gin with Fevertree Sicilian Lemonade, 3 ice cubes and a slice of lemon. Great summer cooler. G&T? Botanist w Fevertree takes some beating.

chrisdw
    Free Member

21dwb
    Free Member

Professor Cornellius Ampleforths Bathtub Gin is superb although I have only tried the normal strength version.

Also something very different but beautiful is Pinkster Gin. Serve with some frozen raspberries, fresh mint and decent tonic and you have a fine drink.

ocrider

The apparent recommendation to garnish Mare is a sprig of thyme.
    It makes a g&t something of a grownups drink, but definitely not for everyone.

Andy_B

I don’t know how it’s taken so long but I’ve just discovered 6 o’clock tonic water. This is reviving the not so good gins I have and is well worth looking out for.

mboy
    Free Member

Got a bottle of LIDL’s Hortus gin in the fridge at the moment, and well… Really really good!

Tried the Bathtub recently, quite liked it but it’s almost like it’s trying too hard, there’s a whole lot going on in there, makes it a little busy in my book.

Still favouring the Martin Miller’s of everything I’ve tried so far, followed by the Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Blackfriar’s gin and the Hortus in my fridge right now.

FWIW, I may have developed a bit of a problem! 😳

scud
    Free Member

Tried this local to me Norfolk gin recently and it is really good.

http://www.jarrold.co.uk/departments/the-deli-and-restaurants/the-deli/gift-ideas/norfolk-gin-70cl

nickjb
    Free Member

I don’t know how it’s taken so long but I’ve just discovered 6 o’clock tonic water.

it’s by far the best. Its been made compliment their own gin (which is also excellent) but works very well with other gins

TheFlyingOx

Not a gin fan myself but the missus swears by Oxley Gin and Fevertree tonic.
    I’ve dabbled with the Eden Mill Oak Gin on ice with a squeeze of orange, which was palatable.

lunge

May I suggest you gin lovers download the Ginventory app? You type in the gin you have and it suggests the best tonics and garnishes for it.

It was suggested to me by a gin expert (The Gintleman) at a tasting I did a while ago and is very, very good indeed.

wingnuts

The partner of a relative makes this. Despite the connection bias this is special.

http://capreolusdistillery.co.uk

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Gin’ is closed to new replies.