Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Gimme yr best veggie burger recipes?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s that time of year to gather around some charred ex-produce, quoff alcohol and pour scorn and pity on the family vegetarian.

Luckily for ours I love most types of food and live/let live – so reinvented the veggie patty. It’s a bit of a cheat as uses a branded mix (Granose) so more augmentation than genius.

Goes like this:

1 Sachet of Granose burger mix
    1 egg
    Half teaspoon of Avion smoked paprika (or best you can find)
    Black pepper to taste
    Tablespoon water
    Salt to taste
    Tablespoon of Marigold B12 flakes

In a bowl – using fork – mix/mash all ingredients until stiff and moist. Divide mix in half, with hands make a ball frm each half. To make patty press ball gently with heel of palm, patting the sides with flat side of spatula or similar. Repeat until have perfect patty.

Fry gently in a little oil until golden brown each side. About 2.5 mins each side.

Whack into a sesame bun with favourite garnish and sauce. I mix garlic mayo with equal tom ketchup and add some dill and a touch of mustard. Garnish/topping : Red onion slice, tomato slice and some salad leaves

The smoked paprika is essential for chargrilled taste.

Cougar

Though you appear to have confused “reinvented” with “followed instructions on a packet,” I’ll be watching this thread with interest. I’ve had a few attempts to make my own veggie burgers and never really cracked it.

poah
    Free Member

substitute 1 Sachet of Granose burger mix for beef steak mince and you’re done

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Er mash a carrot and pat into a flat circle . You can even eat it raw .

Cougar

Sir, I must congratulate you on your rapier wit and almost Wildean repartee. Rest assured that no vegetarian in the history of the world has ever heard that jest before, and just three short posts into the thread you’ve exceeded my wildest expectations. Indeed, the addition of my sides splitting coupled with my wasting away on a vegetarian diet has left me almost unable to type.

(You know, I actually typed something along the lines of “I wonder how long it’ll be before someone suggests throwing it away and eating steak” in my first post, and deleted it as I didn’t want to be That Guy.)

binners

Can you not just have an omelette?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

tempeh burgers from the vegandad blog are the best home made veggies burgers i’ve ever had. i could type the recipe out, but really can’t be arsed just for the usual BS veggie baiting replies. it’s so **** tiresome on here.

djambo
    Free Member

mrs djambo made some the other day which were remarkably good. kind of similar to falafel…but slightly more burgerish. i’m not sure about the full recipe as I wasn’t paying attention but the main ingrediants were:

– chick peas
    – runner beans (tinned work well in cooked dished like this if you cannae get fresh)
    – ground cumin
    – lickle bit of cheese
    – lickle bit of carn flour
    – herbs (parsley mainly I think)
    – seasoning

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

This Jamie Oliver recipe is good
    Or I just make a nut roast and shape it into burgers to cook
    Or if I’m too lazy to make anything, Goodlife’s nut cutlets are nice 🙂

technicallyinept
    Free Member
    zzjabzz
    Free Member

I’d probably go the chick pea and kidney bean mix for the basic form, then add your onion, chilli, herbs, spices etc to taste. Bit of ev olive oil for binding if necessary, or egg if you’re not vegan…

scandal42
    Free Member

Be warned, it’s very easy for chickpea burgers to be very dry.

A nice spicy bean burger with some smashed up tortilla chips for a lovely crunch.

traildog
    Free Member

I liked these when I tried them. You have to play around with how dry they are. I’ve never found a veggie burger that doesn’t hold together as well as a meat one.

leffeboy

Excellent thread. I’m more than a little fed up with the usual meat nonsense on bbqs so was hunting for good veggie options. More please

xherbivorex
    Free Member

this is the recipe i use…

VeganDad Tempeh burgers

slowoldman

Or sack the lot and fry an egg.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Every time i do this it turns out dry or just plain old crap so i stick to the Linda McCartney burgers (with Mozerella). With a big dollop of pesto on! Nom nom 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

Well I would start off by feeding all my vegetables to a cow…..

zinaru
    Free Member

veggie from a completely veggie household here

normally these threads all degenerate into ‘just have bacon roll’ or whatever… this one seems to sort of still be functioning so good. ill need to try the op recipe.

we actually decided to have a bbq last weekend. bbq’s do seem like a good thing to do when the suns out after a day on the trails but bbq’s tend not to be a massive gig for non meat eaters

however halloumi kebabs (with onion/peppers/mushrooms etc) when down a storm with some Portuguese piri piri just to keep things ‘interesting’.

jairaj

I’d probably go the chick pea and kidney bean mix for the basic form, then add your onion, chilli, herbs, spices etc to taste. Bit of ev olive oil for binding if necessary, or egg if you’re not vegan…

I do pretty much the thing. Take any can of beans even mixed beans and thrown in some herbs and spices depending on what your mood is.

If I want something hot and spicy, I would blend up some ginger, coriander onions and chillies, add some garam massala, a bit of tomato paste and mash up with the beans.

If I want something a milder, I would take some oregano, thyme, olives and lemon zest, mash up with some feta cheese and beans.

Look at recipes for the kind of dishes you like and see what herbs and spices complement each other. Then incorporate those flavour combinations with what even bean you choose. I find Mediterranean, Arabic and Indian food give me the most inspiration for veggie burgers.

I also find popping the burgers in the fridge for 10 -20 mins to firm up helps when it comes to cooking them.

Cougar

Following on from Herbi’s link, these look good:

http://vegandad.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/perfect-burger.html

(WTF is “tempeh” anyway? Will Google…)

Well I would start off by feeding all my vegetables to a cow…..

What a fascinating insight, I’m amazed no-one’s ever thought of mentioning it before.

Cougar

If I want something hot and spicy, I would blend up some ginger, coriander onions and chillies, add some garam massala, a bit of tomato paste and mash up with the beans.

That sounds lush.

Look at recipes for the kind of dishes you like and see what herbs and spices complement each other. Then incorporate those flavour combinations with what even bean you choose.

Yeah, that’s good advice. It’s pretty much what I do with things like potato wedges (so we’d have “Italian” or “Mexican” wedges), though I hadn’t really thought it through in those terms.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh come one Cougar, at least props for the egg, smoked paprika, seasoning and b12 flakes? 8)

‘Following the recipe’ would have meant ‘just add water’.

Don’t knock it til you try it – my veggie (a once–meat-eating American) scored it 11 – I was chuffed with that! Have a BBQ to attend later in the week with approx 80% vegetarians in attendance so I have to crack on with a few…it works out about £6 for 12 quarter pounders (using local free range eggs) so not too pricey either 😀

+1 for halloumi, always good at BBqs too, and those big field mushrooms.

Never tried tempeh, did look at some recipes in the Veganomicon but yet to try, isn’t it some kind of soy curd? Some great suggestions here, like the look of the olive one.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Diced onion
    Grated carrot, cheese, sweet potato & ginger
    Egg
    Porridge oats
    Soy sauce
    Tomato paste
    Basil
    Oregano
    Cashew nuts

If mixture too wet add more porridge, too dry then add more egg.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Er mash a carrot and pat into a flat circle . You can even eat it raw .

Comedy gold! Will file it with the fried egg suggestions and maybe use for an after-dinner speech! I do have some meat-eaters in the family who would roll around the floor crying tears of laughter while kicking their legs in the air at that. Funny how vegetarians have no sense of humour….you never really see them laughing so often and hard (or ever?) at meat jokes?

See also car drivers laughing like braying drains at jokes about cyclists. Cyclists never seem to laugh at jokes about drivers in the same way. Same thing?

jairaj

Cougar, its basically the recipe for Rajma, a North India dish made with Kidney beans. I pretty much make a dry version of Rajma and roll it into burgers.

Cougar

Never heard of Rajma before and that sounds right up my street. Nicely, ta.

The-Beard

Halloumi quinoa burgers from veggie runners are really good. Hold together well too.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Never tried tempeh, did look at some recipes in the Veganomicon but yet to try, isn’t it some kind of soy curd?

it’s basically fermented soy beans, formed into a “cake” that you can slice or cut into chunks, marinate and grill or fry- or, in the case of that burger recipe, you grate it and mix with all the other ingredients (vital wheat gluten, water, soy sauce, brown sauce, herbs and spices).

Solo
    Free Member

Sir, I must congratulate you on your rapier wit and almost Wildean repartee. Rest assured that no vegetarian in the history of the world has ever heard that jest before, and just three short posts into the thread you’ve exceeded my wildest expectations. Indeed, the addition of my sides splitting coupled with my wasting away on a vegetarian diet has left me almost unable to type.

Hhmmm. I think I’ve read that style of posting, some where before….

Ban-Hammer Monday?
    😆

leffeboy

Kidney beans sounds like a great ideas for keeping nice texture in a burger

halloumi

so, how do you identify good halloumi? I’ve had some great stuff but most is terrible

Cougar

Incidentally,

What’s with the B12 gubbins? Does it taste of anything, or are you just adding it for nutritional value?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i assume that by b12 flakes, MR means Nutritional Yeast Flakes, which do have quite a nutty taste and do add more than just B12 to the things you put them in/on.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

What’s with the B12 gubbins? Does it taste of anything, or are you just adding it for nutritional value?

Yeah that and that.

i assume that by b12 flakes, MR means Nutritional Yeast Flakes

Yep.

which do have quite a nutty taste and do add more than just B12 to the things you put them in/on.

I’m going with ‘nuttymeatycheesy’ which sounds awful but it’s that certain something that gives a kick to meatless burgers and chillis etc…since using have found them really versatile.

Am slowly building up a basic vegan recipe toolkit. Have found that (variously) smoked paprika, nutritional yeast flakes, honey, marmite, brown sauce, soy sauce and tamarind all come in really useful to add that certain tasty taste for meatless dishes where meat would normally be used.

Cougar

Yeah, I use most of those but Marmite is my secret weapon in a lot of my “meaty” veggie dishes.

Worcester Sauce can be handy (buy a veggie one or make your own). Gravy granules too, though I try to avoid that as it feels like cheating. (Which reminds me, I do an ace vegan gravy.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A vegan chap doing our garden* a few years ago told me he used to mix marmite (or was it vegemite…can’t quite remember tbh) with red wine to make a stock for chillis, gravies etc.

*christ knows how he had the strength…etc. 🙄

myti
    Free Member

Thai Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
    Vegan, gluten-free
    4.9 from 9 reviews

Bursting with flavour, these Thai-inspired veggie burgers will make your every dream come true! The patties are made with a base of shredded sweet potato and chickpeas and are flavoured with fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, basil, and a sprinkle of lime juice and sesame seed oil. To add some delicious crunchy texture, I’ve mixed in some chopped roasted and salted peanuts into the mix. These burgers are naturally gluten-free and you can make them soy-free by using coconut aminos instead of the tamari (or simply omit the tamari all together). See my note below on making this recipe nut-free. Peanut sauce is adapted from my Almond Butter Sauce.

Yield
    6-8 pattiesPrep Time
    40 MinutesCook time
    35 Minutes
    Ingredients:

For the burgers:

1 large sweet potato
    1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
    1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
    1/2 cup roasted and salted peanuts, finely chopped
    3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats, processed into a coarse flour
    1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed in bowl
    1/2 tablespoon sesame seed oil
    1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (or coconut aminos for soy-free option)
    1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    For the peanut sauce:

1 garlic clove
    6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (or almond or sunflower seed butter)
    2.5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari (or coconut aminos)
    1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
    1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Directions:
    Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
    Peel the sweet potato. Using a box grater with the regular-sized grate holes, grate 1.5 cups of sweet potato. Place in large bowl. I had about 1/2 of the sweet potato leftover, so I sliced it into 1-cm rounds and placed it on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat.
    In a large bowl, stir together the grated sweet potato, cilantro, basil, garlic, ginger, and chopped peanuts.
    In a food processor, add the oats and process until finely chopped. You want the texture to be like a coarse flour. Stir the oat flour into the bowl with the vegetables.
    Now add the drained chickpeas into the processor and process until finely chopped. You want the mixture to be a cross between a coarse paste and finely chopped chickpeas, but don’t completely puree the chickpeas. Stir the processed chickpeas into the bowl with the vegetables and oat flour.
    In a mug, whisk together the ground flax and water. Let it sit for only 20 seconds or so, any longer and it will get too thick. Stir this flax egg into the vegetable chickpea mixture until fully combined.
    Stir in the sesame oil, tamari, lime juice, coriander, salt, and pepper all to taste.
    Shape the mixture into 6-8 patties, packing each patty tightly between your hands so it holds together well. Place each patty onto the prepared baking sheet along with the sweet potato rounds.
    Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip the patties and potato rounds and bake for another 15-17 minutes until golden on both sides. You might have to remove the sweet potato a bit early – just keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
    While the burgers are baking, prepare the peanut sauce. Add all sauce ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Adjust ingredients to taste if desired. The sauce will thicken up as it sits.
    After baking, place patties on a cooling rack for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve with toasted buns (or lettuce or whole grain wraps), tomato slices, roasted sweet potato, lettuce, and the peanut sauce.
    The peanut sauce will store in the fridge for at least a week. The burgers can be frozen (after baking and cooling) for a couple weeks.

Notes: 1) To make the burgers soy-free, use coconut aminos in place of the tamari or simply omit it all together. 2) To make this recipe nut-free, omit the peanuts in the burgers and use sunflower seeds instead. For the peanut sauce, you can probably use sunflower seed butter instead of the peanut butter, but you will likely have to adjust the other ingredients to taste since its more bitter than peanut butter.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Mushroom ketchup and soy sauce plus balsamic vinegar are good for giving veggie food a savoury kick. A shot of harissa paste is good for livening up veggie burgers.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wifey likes beetroot and feta burgers (no good for vegans though)
    They are surprisingly (to me) lovely!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Gimme yr best veggie burger recipes?’ is closed to new replies.