Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Gig etiquette
  • twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Radiohead at The Roundhouse goes on pre-sale this Friday…
    I really want to go to this but at £65 it’s a bit steep. I could only go to the Thursday night show too as I’m off to Shindig Weekender on the Friday which was £100 for two days of music. Going to the Roundhouse would make it a very expensive few days.

Festivals are good value n’est ce pas?

I guess it depends how much you want to see Radiohead. I went to 2 nights of their Victoria Park London shows a few years back. Night 1 had all the odd songs and a quiet vibe. Night 2 was just mental with all the hits (ahem) and a great interaction with the crowd. It got noisy and memorable.

TM

julianwilson
    Free Member

(later in the day, I climbed in the window of a limo on the offchance it’d be him, but it turned out to be Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich. I apologised for intruding and explained that I was hoping to find Trent Reznor and call him a ****… they were very understanding

😀 Post of the week. 😀

Cougar

OTOH they were absolutely godly at T in the Park a few weeks before

Funny you should say that. I saw NiN at the Nynex / MEN / whatever it’s called this week and they were superlative, they tore the bloody roof off. Saw them a year or so later at Donington (I think) and they were very subdued, mediocre at best.

Isn’t Trent bipolar or manic depressive or something similar? That might explain it; gig depends whether you get Good Trent or Bad Trent? Hm.

Edukator
    Free Member

Went to a gig after reading this thread and:

Stood in front of a pillar, back to a wall and far stage right when filming.

Didn’t hold a conversation – too loud and ear plugs anyhow.

Didn’t enter the mosh

Spent some time in front of the sound man listening to the mix (and deciding that an N3 Bridge pick up and Vintage thirty speakers in the cab have given the guitar more mid-range bite.

Asked the man on the door if there was an age limit before gong in.

Didn’t dance because Madame refused to dance a rock (the tempo was perfect) while others dancing consisted of pushing each other around.

Enjoyed myself (whilst not detracting from the enjoyment of others).

Did I do well?

ji
    Free Member

Twiglet_monster I did see Fat and Frantic play a church hall in Hastings though. (who remembers them?)

Yep. Kids still like @last night my wife hoovered my head’ which I bought as a single at some gig or other 🙂

mpotts
    Free Member

I once threw my underwear at Tom Jones. I’m worried I might have overstepped the mark now.

CountZero

join in or move?

But i do enjoy a good old mosh about, so I am somewhat biased in my views.
    Obviously! I was one of the first through the door and went straight to the front; I’m struggling to understand why it should be me who has to move because some jackass wants to relive his teen years.

As a veteran of many HMHB gigs, I cannot believe that the polite, embarrassed, middle aged frugging at the front could ever be described as a ‘Mosh Pit’.
    Although I did once get a nasty friction burn from a pair of oven gloves.

i can promise you that there was nothing polite about the slamming these guys were indulging in at both Bath Komedia, and a couple of weeks ago at O2 Academy, Bristol.

Moses – Member
    Tall fat bastards who push to the front so they can block the view of as many people as possible. If you’re tall, stand at the sides so the normal folks can see!
    (Except for Big Jeff, obviously)

So you’ve met the legend that is Big Jeff™ © ® then!
    😀
    I keep meaning to ask him just how the hell he can afford to go to so many gigs, it’s a rare one I go to in Bristol when he isn’t there, it just means there’s someone else he’s gone to see.
    Or he’s at some festival on the continent.
    He’s calmed down a bit these days, though.

CountZero

slimjim78 – Member
    on that note, Radiohead at The Roundhouse goes on pre-sale this Friday…

CountZero – did we just become best friends?!
    I’m not entirely sure, it depends on the context, which I’m not quite clear on, but possibly… 😀
    While I’m not normally given to spending more than around £30-40 on a ticket, Kate Bush being very much a very expensive exception, I’m willing to make an exception for Radiohead, I’ve wanted to see them for some time, so I’m going to spoil myself.
    I’ll try for Friday, take the day off, find a cheap b’n’b on Airbnb and go for the weekend, like I did for David Byrne and St Vincent, also at the Roundhouse. Had a fantastic couple of days, visited Highgate Cemetary and went up The Shard, and the weather was perfect.

chubstr
    Free Member

The old “girlfriend on shoulders ” is a pain, all so they can show how cool they are waving their hands to a band they’ve never heard off

Saw The Pixies a few years back, girl on shoulders of some guy, the next thing this girl dances through the crowd and tackles the pair, pulls the girl backwards off the guys shoulders, she got the biggest cheer of the night

slimjim78
    Free Member

Hopefully see you there CountZero.

If we gets tickets we will be having our ritual pre-gig falaffel and the joint across the road from Roundhouse.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If we gets tickets we will be having our ritual pre-gig falaffel and the joint across the road from Roundhouse.

At the joint or and a joint?

user-removed
    Free Member

Black Francis. Went to hear him at The Pelican in Aberdeen – a place I’d played many times myself. Got a bit stoned, had a few beers, waited and waited. He eventually came on at 11pm (start time was supposed to be 8ish). Sadly, he was shit.

Saw The Pixies doing Doolittle in Glasgow many years later – even started a thread on here asking about decent boozers. Might as well have stayed at home and put the album on. They were of their time. The excitement and energy were of their time. Best music of the night was in a pub recommended on here – few fiddlists and a soulful folk singer.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Gig etiquette’ is closed to new replies.