Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Giant trance linkage locking
  • simon430
    Free Member

Hi,
    I bought a giant trance x3 2012 3 months ago online. Worked flawlessly, but on my last ride, I noticed coming off a downhill descent when I started to pedal to go up a hill the suspension bobbed a lot more than usual and it ‘klunked’ a bit, I thought at the time it had heated up a bit, but after a bit of climbing, when it bobbed it felt like the suspension locks up but then releases, almost like something is stopping the linkage from moving then allowing it to.

I’ve let all the air out of the shock and cycled it up and down and it feels fine all smooth and no locking up. Done the same with the front forks to check it wasn’t them. It seems to be intermittent, as it only suddenly klunks and locks up.

Obviously I can’t take it back to the shop as I bought it online, and I do have a Giant dealer about 10-15miles away so could drop it by them but as it’s intermittent and can’t always get to klunk/lock up might seem a bit daft. Anybody got any ideas on the problem/solution?

Thanks,
    Simon

thepodge
    Free Member

Sounds odd, even when my bearings had seized mine worked flawlessly

Giant are really good with warranty so I’d speak to your local dealer

simon430
    Free Member

I’ve emailed the people I’ve bought it off but them being 200 miles away makes it difficult for them to repair. So we’ll have to see what happens.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Very likely just the shock bushing worn which is normal wear and tear and a sacrificial part tho three months is a bit short. Lift the bike sharply by the back of the saddle and it will clunk. Any decent Lbs can fix this or you can do it if you get a drift tool and a vice (and a new bushing)

When you take the shock out, move the rear triangle through its full motion. If it feels sticky and very gritty then get them to replace the bearings. It’s usually just the main load bearings at the bottom of the shock mount that wear the worst so if feeling tight just get those done.

All tips from my lbs

simon430
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to do it when the bike is lifted, only when the shock/linkage is compressed. Plus, the bike has only done roughly 250 miles.

Thanks for the help mind.

scaredypants

When I replaced the bearings in my old trance it felt like a new bike – I’d suggest you do ’em at the same time as the bushing even if they feel not too bad (keep as emergency spares if they’re not too bad)

Must’ve had this window open for a while & didn’t see your last comment about it being new. They’re easy to take apart and you should then identify anything that’s obviously wrong but I’d try the local dealer 1st if I had a bike that new

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Giant trance linkage locking’ is closed to new replies.