Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Giant Trance Advanced vs Trance SX – Any thoughts
  • kwack
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking at the idea of getting a Carbon frame bike in 27.5″ and moving my better components across from my 26″ and adding a Pike fork in 150mm guise. Speaking to Giant they will not warranty the Advanced frame with a 150mm fork on. The Trance SX will have warranty but doesn’t have a carbon frame.

Anyone ridden either of these and what are their thoughts. I have a Spec Enduro which is probably a bit much for the riding I do now.

I am not too worried about component spec as I will sell all of it. If there was a Carbon frame option with rear shock for around £1000 that would be where I would probably look TBH

Cheers
    Kwack

cakefacesmallblock

To be honest I faced a similar dilemma earlier this year.
    I ended up going for the alloy SX specced slightly different from Giants build with my LBS ( XT group set and Hope wheels).
    Very pleased with it to be honest. Not sure I’d actually feel any benefit from a carbon frame either.

SirHC

The aluminium Trance frame is pretty light already (2.9kg from memory) and the carbon one isn’t much lighter. The trance builds up pretty light, mine is 28lbs with heavy tyres (specialized Grid casings)

I bought the frame only option last year and built it up with Pikes, 11spd X01, Stans Wheels. This year they do a frame only option as well, fit a set of Pikes/34’s, then pick a wheelset (my choice would be DT471’s on pro2’s)

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’d be well happy with any Alu Giant, I think they do great stuff with it.

Their response re warranty is interesting though as in some regions (I’m not sure about the UK) they have offered Trance Advanced SX with 160mm forks from the factory!

kwack
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments – it is not about the weight to be honest just fancy a carbon frame.

I did see that is USA they offer a Trance Advanced SX with 160mm from factory so not sure why they didn’t do the same here .

I don’t believe that the Advanced frames would be any different either between SX and normal.

Unless they had a load of Advanced SX failures – this bike would seem the optimal build for me.

Could always stick a set of 150mm in there and see?

Thanks
    Kwack

SirHC

I’ve played with 160mm and 150mm pikes (changing the air shaft) on my Trance and settled on 150mm, bike felt better balanced for the riding I do (trail riding).

Which advanced model are you considering?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to pick up a carbon frame second hand and built up a bike using 150 Pikes and an X01 group set. It weighs 28lbs with Flows and a dropper and is a very capable bike. You’re right, there’s just something special about carbon… Why not look for a good used frame? Didn’t they do an Advanced SX with 160 Pikes?

kwack
    Free Member

Hi

In terms of advanced model I would look at the cheapest as I am after just the frame. The forks and wheels would be to keep me going until I sort out better set later down the line

Will keep a lookout for a carbon frame…norco sight looks good as well and they won’t honour warranty on frames built with 150mm

Kwack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Giant Trance Advanced vs Trance SX – Any thoughts’ is closed to new replies.