Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • giant trance 27.5 owners? good/bad what mods have you made to yours?
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

I’m getting a trance 2 in a couple off weeks,swapping the groupset for my xt,anything else want changing?

cakefacesmallblock

Interested too. Got an SX , but with 2×10 XT instead of 1×11 Sram and Shimano SLX brakes on order .
    Wheels might well be changed for Stans /hope too.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Think Renton is best placed to answer this.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

1×10,hans damph + Magic Mary,converted to tubeless,renthal bars,xt brakes,Dropper post.

Really like this bike!

cakefacesmallblock

Doctorgnashoidz !

Lol

Pretty sure most things will be fine, without too much procrastinating, just interested too, that’s all !

Nick

Only added a dropper to mine, and that was after it was a year old.

I have a set of XT brakes on another bike and I did think about swapping them over, but the bottom of the range shimano jobbies are easily as good so haven’t bothered.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

Are the standard wheels tubeless compatible?

Nick

I tried, with the supplied nobby nics, and failed. Went up ok with a compressor but came off the rim really easily for some reason.

renton
    Free Member

George cats….

Depending on your weight will determine if the rear shock needs tuning for you. Any thing over 80kgs will need it to stop the shock blowing its travel.

I had mine done by mojo and it feels loads better.

Stock saddle is a bit flat so I changed to my regular charge spoon.

I changed my forks, nothing wrong with the stock fox but I upgraded to a set of 150mm revelations to raise the front up a bit.

Standard bars etc are fine to be honest but it’s a personal thing I guess. One thing that is good about the 2015Trance is that they have gone back to normal tapered forks rather than giants own overdrive system.

It’s well documented on here that I’ve struggled to get used to the new geometry of this bike but I think I’m finally getting there. ……

I’m adding a giant dropper post to it later this week.

Not sure if the wheels are tubeless ready to be honest.

sv

I have a SX, changed the rear shock to a DB Inline (200×57) so slightly more rear travel. It’s 1×10 with a Zee rear mech and NW chainring. Swapped the brakes over to a set of SLX ones I had and a Madison Flux saddle. Bars/grips changed to 750mm/thicker grips. Tyres are now Purg rear and Minion front both tubeless. Have a FIT cart to go into the fork too. Still to decide if it’s a keeper…

gazman
    Free Member

I have a 26inc wheel model, with Sram x5 gearing, 120mm epicon air forks, mavic cross rides, charge spoon on a joplin dropper (ks in post) 760 wide nukepfoof bars on a 50mm stem and deore brakes, bike is a small, only just put it together and ridden round Gisburn once and felt comfy. Anything anyone would change?

renton
    Free Member

I think the op is on about the new 27.5 version.

Never ridden an older one but heard good things.

LoCo
    Free Member

Heavy duty spacer & polymer eyelet bush in the top mount of the shock as they tend to wear fairly quickly, worked well with the team bikes from a few years ago with maestro systems.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I have an older 26″ Trance but the Maestro suspension platform is essentially unchanged – I’d agree with Renton about shock tuning if you’re a porker like me – mine is in dire need of a tune – to prop it up when climbing it needs loads of air in, but it’s then not soft enough to be working properly downhill. It’s as if the ProPedal needs to be made more ‘intrusive’ at lower pressure. Will be off to TFT for a PUSH when I’ve got some spare cash.
    Has anyone done this, out of interest?

renton
    Free Member

I believe giant dropped the lower linkage placement by around 9mm on the newer trance which apparently has made the rear end a lot more active and more susceptible to bobbing around.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I built up an Advanced SX frame with an XO1 groupset, Pike 150s, Flow EXs on Pro2 Evos, Lev Integra dropper, XT brakes, SDG Belair 2 saddle and Easton Haven 740mm carbon bars. It’s a great bike that goes up and down well and will be getting its first trip to the a Alps on Thursday to play in the snow with some Ice Spiker tyres. Can’t wait!

SirHC

LoCo – Member
    Heavy duty spacer & polymer eyelet bush in the top mount of the shock as they tend to wear fairly quickly, worked well with the team bikes from a few years ago with maestro systems.

Latest Trance has bearings on the top shock mount (same with bottom mount). Rear end is very plush, I bought mine frame only, so came with a monarch RT3.

Very impressed with the bike, value for money on the full builds is good as well, frame is light, mine is at 29lbs with EXO tyres.

renton
    Free Member

Very nice that ^^^^and the one above.

gazman
    Free Member

^^ very nice

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve had a Trance 2 for about three months now and it is beginning to come into it’s own as the suspension units bed in.

The things I have changed so far:

– Tyres changed to HR IIs straightaway.
    – Handbars changed to Easton Havens purely because I had some lying around.
    – Grips changed to Superstar as I prefer them.
    – Seatpost changed to a dropper.
    – Saddle changed out of personal preference.

TBH it’s an excellent bike out-of-the-box but I would seriously budget in a new set of tyres. Everything else is down to pure preference.

The suspension units are pretty basic and, in the long-term, will probably be swapped out, but I’m in no hurry as they do the job.

treefeller
    Free Member

I got a trance 3 a few weeks ago ( 2014 ) couldn’t get the standard plastic nobby nics to go up tubeless so I got some s.s.tactic wheels and purgatory front, ground control rear. This saved a ton of weight. Also converted to 1×10. Standard rock shox suspension is pretty good. Just under 30lb with dropper post. Anyone want to buy a nukeproof mega?

monkeychild
    Free Member

If it rides like the 26″ Trance it will be awesome!!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Here’s mine,

Built from frame only with

Pikes
    Reverb stealth
    Arch ex/hope
    Easton carbon bar and stem
    Tech 3 e4 brakes with 180 rotors
    Full XX1 group set

Absolutely loving it. Weight is 28 lbs on Park scales at work!

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve been on a Trance I bought new and much upgraded since 2008. Maestro is superb. Which is one reason why I’m sticking with Giant and speccing it how I want.

gasgasser
    Free Member

I’ve had my Trance 1 2014 for about 6 months and am really pleased with it

Only things I’ve changed are grips and seat to date. May go a little wider with bars at a later date but not really rushing

Most people seem really happy with them and they ride great so look forward to it and let us know how you get on!

scc999

Question for a Trance 2014 owner – is the steerer a standard one or a Giant Overdrive one?

Thanks.

Si

gasgasser
    Free Member

It says Overdrive on the head tube and overdrive 2 on one of the spacers on my 2014 Trance 1

Not sure if that helps? – it still rides great though and gave me an excuse to go out to garage and look at it again 😀

treefeller
    Free Member

1 and 2 (fox forks ) are overdrive 2, the 3 and 4 are normal.

renton
    Free Member

2014 models are overdrive2 which is the larger diameter steerer.

2015 models have gone back to normal taper.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yep. 2015 models are Overdrive which is the normal tapered standard.

gaz552
    Free Member

Mine’s a 2014 Trance 2, so some of my points may not be valid/required.
    Fox 32’s were awful and got replaced with a set of 160mm Pikes and a 50mm stem (as I also get rid of OD2 in the process).
    The rear fox ctd shock is simply rubbish (probably made worse by me not being the lightest).
    The wheelset is lasting well, though you do need to keep a close eye on you spokes as they do seem to get loose quite easy.
    Only had to remove play from the Hub’s once so quite impressed there.
    Brakes were ‘ok’, but I’ve replaced mine with SLX’s and also changed the discs to 203mm in the front and 180mm on the rear.

Overall it’s a really good bike/frame and some choice upgrades really enhance it.

mikey74
    Free Member

They’ve improved the compression tuning on the 2015 Fox models I believe.

They’re not the best but I wouldn’t say they are awful, but then again I am only 70kg.

iainc

re the Overdrive stuff, I posted yesterday about this in relation to my 2015 Anthem SX. It has a normal tapered steerer on the Fox 32 CTD fork, a slightly oversized stem with a shim, and it says ‘Overdrive’ on the headtube. So normal fork, and a normal stem would fit in place of the shimmed Giant one.

scc999

Thanks to all of you that replied to my question re: OD.

Si

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

ignore

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘giant trance 27.5 owners? good/bad what mods have you made to yours?’ is closed to new replies.