Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Giant TCR advanced SL
  • meandyuk

Hi, I’ve been offered a 2nd hand 2013 giant tcr advanced sl4 frame for £1000. Do you think it’s a decent deal? from what I can tell they haven’t changed and the 2015 model is the same frame as offered?

Cheers,
    Andy

mrblobby
    Free Member

A superb frame. Still quite a lot for a second hand frame without a warranty. Have you checked to see how much they are generally going for?

FWIW a brand new 2015 equivanent is 2k. I’d expect a SH 2013 to be less than half price. How much depending on condition and history too(e.g. has it been raced/crashed much?)

mtbel
    Free Member

depends what you’re expecting. You could probably get a complete TCR Composite of that age with 105/ultegra for about half that.

TiRed

Excellent frame, but not a huge “advance” over the Advanced frame, and a little overpriced in my opinion. This one has the adjustable seat post, rather than integrated, which means you can put it in a smaller bike bag. Look on ebay for fulfordcycles, they sell a lot of Giant frames, including the SL4.

The geometry hasn’t changed for years and is spot on. One last point, the Advanced SL frames (including my Defy) have CARBON dropouts. One of the consequences is that they can wear down, depending on your QR skewers and how often you remove the wheels.

oldgit
    Free Member

Seems steep. I’d expect an SL Pro for less. Two mates sold their SL Pros for £750 one a Giant dealer.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I sold my barely used 10 month old one for a little less than that and thats when they were £2500 new.

eshershore
    Free Member

Hi Andy

I would not pay more than £500-600 for that frame (I work for a Giant store)

AverageMark
    Free Member

Sold one on e-bay a couple of months ago for £600 if that helps

meandyuk

Cheers, I’ve gone back to them with the same! anyone selling one in size medium, let me know 🙂

meandyuk

Going to have a look this weekend. Have been offered the whole bike (stock spec pretty much) for £1250 which seems like a better deal.
    I was wondering if the frame warranty is valid with Giant? the guy has the paperwork/receipt from his LBS… would it need transferring, anyone know?

Cheers

mudshark
    Free Member

Doubt warranty can be transferred but Giant are better than most to deal with I’m told. Whole bike for that sounds a great deal.

meandyuk

Anyone else know/think it’s good value (so long as it’s in good nick), before I go take a look?

onandon
    Free Member

I putchased one of these new in 2012 and it rates as the worst road frame I’ve ever ridden. They’re harsh, really harsh.
    I sold it after five or six rides.

TiRed

Yes, £1250 for a top flight frame, Ultegra 10 speed and light wheels is reasonable value.

You will love the ride, handling, weight. If it is like new, you won’t find better new for the price. And you could offer £1150 and see what he says – after all it is ONLY 10 speed (nothing wrong with that btw).

Rorschach
    Free Member

I liked mine for racing……not a bike for bimbling.

meandyuk

It’s on the same brake blocks and tires(just worn) from new apparently – don’t know if that means much about the condition though.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I putchased one of these new in 2012 and it rates as the worst road frame I’ve ever ridden. They’re harsh, really harsh.

They’re a race bike, what did you honestly expect?!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Puzzled. If it was that apparent that you didn’t like the ride then why did you buy it?

Is a superb ride if you like race bikes.

TiRed

Look at the back tyre. If it’s a Giant Pslr tyre and isn’t even slightly flattened then the bike is barely ridden. It took me a season of riding and racing weekly to wear down the back tyre to feel the flat ridge. I suspect it hasn’t seen a lot of use. If it had, it wouldn’t be for sale 😉

It’s a race bike, but it is still suitable for all day rides. Just add 25c tyres.

meandyuk

Cheers, good tip, will check the rear tyre – it is a pslr from new

onandon
    Free Member

Mr blobby, you like the frame and that’s great, my opinion is that it’s harsh and pretty dull feeling. The new propel is the same.
    On paper it’s technical brilliant but I didn’t like it.

It would be dull if we all liked the same thing.

TiRed

Very true, but 100 mile rides on my propel are as good as my Defy. If a little faster. Races on my propel are just amazing. The TCR is in the middle of these two.

plus-one

Had a few tcr’is over the years and they are honestly the best bikes I’ve had the pleasure of owning 🙂

Had a 2012 sl advanced isp and found it pretty comfy and impressive handling to say the least …

Only sold as I was thinning out the fleet and still have 2 tcr’s a winter rig and an older alloy one with full dura ace for race duties … Still way more bike than I’ll ever need 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Giant TCR advanced SL’ is closed to new replies.