Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Giant S-XC2 Bearing replacement
  • adrec
    Free Member

I’ve bought a set of these wheels and the front bearings are rough. I believe they run on cartridgecartridge bearings but can’t find replacements tagged for this wheelset anywhere. Anyone have any pointers? Is it just a case of popping the old ones out and measuring them?

coatesy
    Free Member

Chances are that the bearing seals will have a code on them, such as 6804, replacements can then be matched at your local bearing suppliers, the internet (Katec or Simplybearings usually recommended), or LBS (Hope stainless jobbies recommended).I always CAREFULLY remove the seals, and pack the new bearings with grease prior to fitting, as they aren’t really designed for our intended use, so generally have only a pitiful smear as standard.

tillydog
    Free Member

Have these got Giant Tracker hubs?

If they are like mine, they are cup & cone, not cartridge.

adrec
    Free Member

Apparently the fronts are cartridge. They feel too rough to be ball bearings that just need a service

njee20
    Free Member

Eh? Either can feel very rough if they’re sufficiently buggered.

jody
    Free Member

Tilly. I have Giant Tracker hubs but mine are cartridge. They might not all be the same spec.

tillydog
    Free Member

Must be…

Mine are defo cup & cone on the front (2014 650b S-XC2)though.

adrec
    Free Member

Taken them apart tonight and they were cup and cone. Like new now after a strip down clean and re grease

james123
    Free Member

I know that this is now solved but just so it is captured on the World Wide Web somewhere-
    My Giant Tracker hub (15mm thru axle) has sealed cartridge bearings pressed in. The seals are marked with ‘S&S 7149787’ which doesn’t really yield a lot in locating a replacement. I have discovered that this bearing is the same as a 68042RS (dimensions: 32-20-7mm). Access to the bearing is gained by a 19mm spanner on each cap and then knocking out bearings and then pressing in replacements.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Giant S-XC2 Bearing replacement’ is closed to new replies.