Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Giant Reign Advanced…any good?
  • SirHC

Thanks Sir HC, after going to another dealer today and from what I’ve read here I’m going with a medium. I presume by riding off the back of the bike you mean generally having my arse over the back wheel? If so that’s how I tend to ride most stuff that doesn’t involve pedalling.

Yep, ass over the back = off the back. I’d say you’ve made the right decision with the medium.

Long shot, but is anyone here running a 150mm dropper on a medium frame?
    Looks like it might be a tight fit.

There is a thread on the pinkbike forum, there were people discussing the 150mm dropper and medium frames: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=166760

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks again!

Some say yes, some say no. I run quite a bit of seat post on a medium so I’m hoping I might get away with it. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice if I could.

Bit of info here (but on a large): http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=166760&pagenum=318#commentid6231158

Anyone know the difference in seat tube lengths on the medium and large?

SirHC

Large is 19, medium is 17

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers. Blowing hot and cold on this, other frames seem to have yearly updates where as the Reign looks to have been left untouched for a couple of years. Is that a bad thing?

Is the lack of boost rear end an issue? Can’t help but look elsewhere and for similar money there’s a lot out there eg Bronson/Nomad with a decent spec on a self builf.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

And does this overdrive2 malarkey mean I’m stuck with the supplied stem?

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

Overdrive 2 doesn’t exist anymore on new bikes. At least from 2016 onwards.

My 2016 Trance Advanced has a normal tapered streerer which Giant just calls Overdrive (not 2).

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers. I wonder why they still label it as overdrive then?

rickon
    Free Member

150mm dropper fits fine if you’ve got a 31″ leg or more on a medium (with a ks lev integra). Any less, and you’d be running the dropper already dropped.

sri16v
    Free Member

I have a 2015 reign 2, totally standard, absolutely love it, so capable downhill and not too bad going up.

I did have a 2015 trance with 150mm pike rtc3, but since getting the reign in January I haven’t touched it (now sold)

I use it for everything including natural riding, took some getting used to, the wide bars especially.

Climbs quite well not as good as my previous anthem or trance but more than capable, just have to keep the weight over the front on steep grassy climbs, it’s also not great at tight twisty single track riding through trees

Biggest trouble I have is finding something steep enough, rough enough and long enough to let it rip!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers rickon, much appreciated. I have a 32″ inseam so fingers crossed should be fine.

Does anyone have any idea of the warranty included? Giant seem to have hidden it and I’m struggling to find it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Lifetime on frame, one year on components.

The Reigns not really any older than any of the other “in” bikes and the geometry is far from being outdated – most other companies are only just starting to cacth up. Boost makes **** all difference. The Reign will likely be updated for 2018, so a year from now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I’d expect 2017 to be the final year for the current Reign frame – though it was ahead of the curve geometry-wise and is still better than many newer rivals IMO.

That said, it’s a proper enduro race bike so maybe don’t buy one if most of your riding is at trail centres.

Other observations from owning one…

1. It should have a Lyrik not a Pike.
    2. I couldn’t quite get the feel I wanted from the Monarch and I would have loved a Fox X2.
    3. Yes it feels a bit like a mini-DH bike as the reviews say, but that means it can be less involving than some bikes.

SirHC

Yeah I’d expect 2017 to be the final year for the current Reign frame – though it was ahead of the curve geometry-wise and is still better than many newer rivals IMO.

The shock running on bearings was one of the big selling points for me, more active/plush suspension action.
    For 2018 I can’t see them doing a lot, adding a metric shock and a stiffer one piece top rocker (same as new Trance).

1. It should have a Lyrik not a Pike.

2017 models are a mix of 36/Lyrik/Yari, which is a much better fork. The Lyrik is a step up from the Pike and with the ability to run 170mm, which makes the bike even more capable on steep/rough trails.

2. I couldn’t quite get the feel I wanted from the Monarch and I would have loved a Fox X2.

The monarch is the wrong shock for the bike (for the riding I do), I swapped out the monarch for an X2 immediately. Giant wouldn’t sell the reign with a non lockout/pedal platform shock, as the majority of consumers wouldn’t like it.

3. Yes it feels a bit like a mini-DH bike as the reviews say, but that means it can be less involving than some bikes.

I’ve been riding my Reign at cannock (off piste) recently, as I’ve been too lazy to take the very slick xc tyres off and replace with something grippy. Stiffened the suspension up (compression & air pressure) and it copes fine, some of the tighter trails can get a bit interesting and need a bit more thought with line choices!

gonzy
    Free Member

Cheers. Blowing hot and cold on this, other frames seem to have yearly updates where as the Reign looks to have been left untouched for a couple of years. Is that a bad thing?

i’ve been informed that the 2017 reign advanced benefits from a composite linkage

It should have a Lyrik not a Pike.

the advanced 0 has a 160mm lyrik
    the advanced 1 has a 160mm fox 36
    the reign 1 has a lyrik
    the reign 2 has a yari
    the pikes are on the 2016 models

the only version of the new reign that will have a 170mm (fox 36) fork is the reign sx. but it only shows on the US website and not the UK website.
    unless giant UK are planning to introduce it at a later point then its safe to presume that its for the US market only

chakaping
    Free Member

Good to hear they’ve given it the fork it deserves.

Just had a look at the 2017 specs. I think they’re getting better but it’s disappointing to see their own brand dropper instead of a Reverb on some very expensive models.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

i’ve been informed that the 2017 reign advanced benefits from a composite linkage

Hard to tell from the pictures but it would be nice.

Just had a look at the 2017 specs. I think they’re getting better but it’s disappointing to see their own brand dropper instead of a Reverb on some very expensive models.

Have to agree I’d much prefer a reverb, but there is a lot of love for the giant dropper on the reign mtbr thread.

The 2017 advanced models do come with teh carbon rimz, some of the earlier ones were a bit weak but apparently they’ve sorted them. Think I’d still prefer some decent aluminium rims and a reverb.

gonzy
    Free Member

Hard to tell from the pictures but it would be nice.

looks like you might be right. looking at the article i assume you got the above image from it mentions that 2017 frame is the same as the 2016 and that the carbon linkage will be part of the newly designed 2018 frame. the 2017 trance and anthem do get the carbon linkage. so i might have got my wires crossed on that

SirHC

Linkage looks to be the same as the 2016/2015, which was aluminium.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

That said, it’s a proper enduro race bike so maybe don’t buy one if most of your riding is at trail centres.

I rode Degla once, two years ago if that counts? 🙂

It will be used on most of the usual natural stuff round the north west and places like the Peak District etc. Bit overkill but I want to try a bit of light dh next year too and it will be my only bike.

Is this the wrong thread to use words like Patrol and Bronson?

rickon
    Free Member

The Bronson is a completely different bike. Much more taught, poppy and feels more involving to ride.

The Patrol is similar, it’s longer and a bit lower, and runs on Horst, so will feel a bit plusher, but *should* pedal less well, but decent compression damping in today’s shocks means any talk of poor climbing performance should be aimed at slack seat tube angles.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Did you choose your reign over the Bronson rickon?

Is there anywhere in the NW that has a demo reign? Booked a Bronson demo purely out of interest.

wrecker
    Free Member

Linkage looks to be the same as the 2016/2015, which was aluminium.

The whole rear end was alu.

gonzy
    Free Member

The whole rear end was alu.

true…the outgoing reign advanced did have an alloy rear end.
    this years reign advanced is full carbon but the linkage is alloy.
    i think next years model will be a redesigned frame all together and will incorporate a carbon linkage too…the new trance and anthem already have carbon linkages

Is there anywhere in the NW that has a demo reign?

daft as it sounds…but its the only bike giant dont provide a demo bike for

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

this years reign advanced is full carbon but the linkage is alloy.

It’s not – the back end is still aluminium.

Is this the wrong thread to use words like Patrol and Bronson?

I went from a Reign Advanced to a Patrol Carbon, so ask away.

gonzy
    Free Member

It’s not – the back end is still aluminium.

just checked again and you’re right…i must have misread it

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

daft as it sounds…but its the only bike giant dont provide a demo bike for

Yep, you can demo any SC/Intense/Transmission etc but not a Reign, seems odd.

It’s not – the back end is still aluminium

Yep, again only the front triangle is carbon.

I went from a Reign Advanced to a Patrol Carbon, so ask away.

Spill the beans then! What’s it like compared to the reign, I read on mtbr the sizing is just as much fun as the reign.

chakaping
    Free Member

I rode Degla once, two years ago if that counts?

Hey, I wasn’t suggesting anything about your riding – I just found the Reign a bit dull at trail centres.

Have you considered the Radon Swoop? I’ve had a couple of rides on one and it’s a sensational bike.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It wasn’t taken the wrong way st all S, I often wish I could play on them more often!

Just had a quick glance at the radon, nice looking bike but the spec says around 14kg which is pretty weighty. Which one did you ride? There seem to be a few different models.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the 9 1×11.

I reckon it’s about on par with the alu Reign, weight wise (I think the carbon Reign frame is 200g lighter?).

It doesn’t feel heavy anyway and the ride is superior IMO, there’s a great feel to the frame.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Will keep an eye out for one cheers.

Struggling to get a demo on anything, apart from the Bronson in 5 weeks time.

gonzy
    Free Member

update:

i got the bike last week then sent it off to get that lovely paint job wrapped

shes a beauty if i say so myself 😀

the medium ended up feeling a bit too cramped and like my old bike so i went for a large with a 35mm stem….feels spot on

johnski15
    Free Member

That is ace.

I’m really, really thinking of getting a Reign Advanced 1 – Torn between an amazing price for it against a Nomad CC or Bronson CC.

The Advanced 1 will in effect cost me around 2K new. I’m super tempted… The only thing bugging me is that I will be putting in a 160mm Lyrik and it will be 42mm offset, I genuinely can’t see it making a difference to me, and your bike + Reign Advance 0 2017 seem to have standard 42mm offset forks Fox/Lyrik respectively.

gonzy
    Free Member

That is ace.

I’m really, really thinking of getting a Reign Advanced 1 – Torn between an amazing price for it against a Nomad CC or Bronson CC.

The Advanced 1 will in effect cost me around 2K new. I’m super tempted… The only thing bugging me is that I will be putting in a 160mm Lyrik and it will be 42mm offset, I genuinely can’t see it making a difference to me, and your bike + Reign Advance 0 2017 seem to have standard 42mm offset forks Fox/Lyrik respectively.

£2k? i presume this is for the frame only? if not i want to know where you’re getting it from cos i’ll sell mine and get one from the same place to save some money!
    i’m taking mine out this sunday for its first proper ride so i’ll let you know how it feels with the 46mm offset.
    i did consider the advanced 0 too but i just couldnt justify going to over £5k for the full bike and i’m not a big fan of SRAM gear…i much prefer using shimano for some reason. ideally if my budget allowed i would have been tempted to upgrade the forks to the Lyriks.
    ive ridden the carbon bronson and a transition patrol prior to buying this and IMO the reign rides better than the bronson. the bronson was very playful but felt skittish on the limit but the reign feels more planted…the only thing close to it in terms of ride characteristics is the patrol and getting the carbon version of that with a similar spec would have cost me an extra grand

johnski15
    Free Member

@gonzy – Member

You beauty has a Fox 36 Float Performance Elite Fit4 Fork which I think is a 44mm offset, so different to the 46mm Pikes the year before.

I phone Giant in Sheffield to ask them if there was a warranty issue with me swapping out forks and they told me categorically ‘no’ and it does seem loads of people have swapped out the dual position Pikes for solo air at 42mm offset so I’m sure that it’s not a problem – I just need someone who has done it confirm it for me.

Cheers

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Giant Reign Advanced…any good?’ is closed to new replies.