Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Giant Frame Warranty??
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Anyone know what there frame warranties are good for??

as posted on the Creaky Anthem thread, my Anthem X appears to have developed a crack on the downtube.

At first I thought this was just a paint crack around a small stone dent, but I think I have to assume the worst given the creaking.

Pretty hacked off TBH. Mtbing since 1994, and hadn’t damaged a frame, forks, wheels etc until last year when the Airborne gave up, now 12 months on and this happens. Mtbing is starting to feel bloody expensive.

rootes1

should like s simple warranty claim – you should get a new frame from them.

my sis has had a frame replaced via the dealer – very quick

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear on this one as I am just buying a new Anthem X.

Wouldnt a stone flying up hitting the frame be classed as wear and tear, and therefore not a warranty job?

will
    Free Member

Simple warranty claim that. Contact the shop you bought it from and they shoudl sort it all out for you.

Just happened to a mates Anthem and he got a new frame within a week no hassle!

rkk01
    Free Member

Wouldnt a stone flying up hitting the frame be classed as wear and tear, and therefore not a warranty job?

There’s got to be an element of “fit for purpose” surely?

A mountain bike downtube is always going to be in line for stones flicked up from the front wheel. I’m not talking about big rock hits etc, but to be fit for purpose a frame should be able to deal with normal operating conditions.

This happended on my commute to work 🙁

goldenwonder
    Free Member

rkk01, if you’re that concerned about it being ‘fit for purpose’ which you seem to be given you’ve spoekn about it in two different threads on the same frame?
    Why not contact Giant about it & have a chat with them?
    Warrantly wise, Will is right (so he should be, I tought him)
    Take it back to the dealer you bought it from with proof of purchase & leave it at that, the dealer will (should) do thier bit & a new frame will arrive in around 3-5 working days (assuming it is a genuine claim, impossible to tell without being able to inspect the frame)

rkk01
    Free Member

goldenwonder – your right, of course.

I have contacted the dealer and arranged to take the bike in. Pleased (and surprised) to hear that Giant warranty their frames for 5 years (expected it to be 1 year)

Just need to get some idea from the dealer / Giant as to whether the crack is a warranty or wear and tear issue…

rootes1

Just need to get some idea from the dealer / Giant as to whether the crack is a warranty or wear and tear issue…

don’t even ask the question…

take it back and show them the crack, and then let them sort it out..

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Just be open & honest about it with the dealer & Giant, it’s always been the best way from whenever I’ve dealt with them.
    They guys at Giant are very fair people.
    If you come up with some cock & bull story, they’ll see straight through it.
    Also a very strong chance someone from Giant is reading this thread right now.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

have seen a very expensive Ti frame fail in the same way (rock strike on downtube = dent + crack) so it does happen.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Friend of mine recently had their 4 year old Anthem X frame replaced on warranty after it cracked, no trouble. I get the impression Giant are pretty good with warranty stuff, as you might expect.

rkk01
    Free Member

That’s all fair enough

If you come up with some cock & bull story, they’ll see straight through it.

I don’t feel any need for any cock and bull. If there was anything to hide, or any faintly devious claim to pursue I wouldn’t have posted on here, but that’s not my style (ie to try it on).

I was initially hacked off because I assumed that the warranty period would be 12 months, and the bike would be just outside of that. Genuinely surprised to find that its a 5 year frame warranty, so up to Giant to consider the case on its merits.

LoCo
    Free Member

Giant, very good on warranty, have seen a number of frames of Various brands dented resulting in a crack to appear Ali and carbon.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ali and carbon

Carbon, now that’s a point that came to my mind after I spotted the crack on the Anthem…

… As Giant also offer the rather delectable Anthem Advanced frame – it would be truly gutting to find similar damage on such an exotic (and expensive) frame

And, presumably, carbon would be pretty prone to such damage?

Marko

Giant, very good on warranty

Very average in my opinion.

Reign X and one of the bearings in the rocker plate collapses. Rocker grinds into seat tube.
    Giants response is: ‘you should have stopped riding’.
    Me ‘I was half way down the the Venosc red . . . and besides it’s only been ridden for 10 days’.
    ‘Sorry about that have some new bearings and rockers, but the frame is fine’.
    ‘Sure, it’s structurally fine, but cosmetically it’s worth about half its second hand value’.

A few reasons why I didn’t pursue this further, but that’s what I call average service.
    Marko

rkk01
    Free Member

TBH, if the frame is fine, it’s fine, surely…?

I’d be happy at that – personally the cosmetics don’t worry me, it’s the functionality / safety that counts

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Giant Frame Warranty??’ is closed to new replies.