Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Giant dropper post trying to kill me – is it a problem?
  • alric
    Free Member

the Giant Contact dropper developed a mind of it’s own over the weekend,rising up against me suddenly as I was riding along trying to focus on the jumps in my path
    I stripped it down, and the damper rod moves down ok, but stops part way up, then later,extends completely. It doesn’t stick in the same place, it’s quite random.
    I cycled it several times, with GT85, but it made no difference
    Is it repairable, or can I get a new unit somewhere?

Meanwhile I need a regular 30.9 post

letitreign
    Free Member

I had the same issues with mine (2017 bike, brand new) 2nd ride in and it was playing up, sinking on it’s own, not staying down…basically doing the opposite of what you want a dropper post to do.
    Husband stripped it down completely, I don’t know all the techy jargon for the parts but basically that small metal pin at the top (somewhere in the inside…my OH could explain this much better than me so bare with me) anyway it was stuck half way out, not releasing properly, he literally gave it a bash with a mallet (he got mad with it in the end and was about to bin it anyway) but it actually fixed it! It worked the better then that it ever did from brand new, must of been a dodgy one I think, but it soon started to do the same after a few months, so got fed up of having to sort it. Having said that my OH had the same post on his bike and never had any issues, but had a contact before that one and had endless issues.

Do yourself a favour and just buy yourself a Brand X if you can, cheap as chips, work really well and never let you down.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I just sent my Giant dropper post back as no one had any idea how to make it work, despite have the instruction book and taking it to a bike shop! 🙁

alric
    Free Member

Great, I can smaCK IT UP WITH A HAMMER BEFORE i CHUCK IT

alric
    Free Member

letitreign
    can you ask mr letitreign what he did to it?

malgrey
    Free Member

Given Giant’s excellent reputation for sorting out problems under warranty, wouldn’t it be better to talk to them before getting out the hammer? Though I do understand the appeal of getting all the frustration out by “mending” things with a little gentle physical persuasion…

alric
    Free Member

if I thought it was under warranty I woulda been onto them

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Giant dropper post trying to kill me – is it a problem?’ is closed to new replies.