• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Giant Dropper – Gas Strut broken – ideas?
  • adrec
    Free Member

my giant dropper post is a couple of years old now and has stopped working properly. the ‘lock out’ function on the gas strut insnt engaging, so the post retracts when you sit on the saddle whether you are pressing the button or not. ive had it in pieces, so its not the lever, cable etc, its deffo the gas strut. it doesnt look serviceable, does anyone know if you can buy them seperately?

mtbfix

Have you taken the strut out? My local Giant dealer was very helpful and warrantied mine when it packed in but it was ‘only’ about one year old. Remember to tape over the holes by the seat clamp once you have it going again.

cakefacesmallblock

One bit at a time then. .. I’d have thought you could replace the gas strut. If a dealer doesn’t have them, then you’ll need to fined one at the right pressure, length and with the appropriate thread either end , which may make it difficult.

The strut doesn’t lock out as such though, and will only compress easily, if it’s lost it’s pressure. The cable operated lever at the saddle end could have broken I guess. Have you disassembled it to see if it’s just that lever seized due to trail dirt ?

I have to service mine regularly, as far as I can, but strut is fine, just have issues with worn lower post caused by dirt, water and grit creating wear.

I’d remove the cable and see if the lever is still able to spring , assuming the gas shock doesn’t just compress easily once it’s removed.

My post is about 3 years old and used on rides of anything from 8 to 25 miles off-road at least twice a week. Not the best dropper ever, but it works with regular cleaning and cable changes.

adrec
    Free Member

The post was in bits and the gas strut was in my hand. The gas pressure is still good, but the button on the top of the strut made no difference whether it was depressed or not. The strut had effectively turned itself into a damped gas spring

jimw
    Free Member

Mine did the same thing. Water gets down past the button, which is aluminium, and it corrodes- either stuck at full extension, or like yours free to move.
    I bought it from my LBS and they sent it back to Giant who put a new strut in FOC even though it was just over two years old, but I was advised if it went again there would be no second repair given.
    Two others in my group who got theirs at roughly the same have failed in exactly the same fashion after two years.
    All were taped up as suggested by Giant

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Giant Dropper – Gas Strut broken – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.