Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Giant Defy Sizing – Input needed from other 6ft tall + riders!
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 1 tall and struggling with Giant’s road bike sizing; typically I’d go for a large however having read various articles many suggest that the Giant sizing tends to be bigger than other manufacturers and that perhaps I’d be better of with a M/L rather than the L.

I know everyone is slightly different (torso / leg dimensions) but would welcome feedback from other 6ft / 6ft 1 Defy owners to know which frame size you are riding.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

6’2″ with 33″ inside leg, With a fair bit od seatpost out.

I had the Large, loved it. ran it with a 120mm stem.

I gave it to my dad who is a little shorter than you and uses a 100mm stem. He’s a big fan of it too now.

erny
    Free Member

just under 6’2″ and I ride a large carbon defy

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Can’t help with Defy but I’m 6’2 on a L TCR Advanced SL so I’d say M/L too.

Bregante

6’1 32″ inside leg. I’ve only pootled round a car park on one but the m/l felt better than the L

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve just been comparing the geometry of my 58cm Synapse with the large Defy and the dimensions look very similar.

Thanks for the feedback – that’s confirmed my instinct to go with the large – time for a coffee before clicking buy on a Defy Composite 1.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Back from a coffee and sees posts relating to M/L and just read a review saying the large was enormous.

I’m looking at a 2012 online and don’t want to be a nob wasting my LBS’ time trying bikes I won’t be buying from them.

iainc

I am 5ft 10 with 30 leg. Had a bike fit when i bought it and was sized to a M. The size chart is bang on.

nickdavies

I haven’t got one, but i’m 6’1 and a bit with 32″ inside leg and I tried their sizes out and couldn’t get one I was happy with, took the M/L, L & XL out for test rides and nothing suited. Giant wanted to charge extra for adjusting stem length. Would say the L with a longer stem would have been the best fit.

If you are looking at other brands, I ended up going for a L Focus Culebro, which the shop I bought it from happily fitted to me at n/c, changing bits and adjusting etc.

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m 6′ and my Defy is a M/L, the large was too stretched

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Looking at Giant’s sizing chart for 6FT 1 with 33/34″ inside length I could either take the M/L or the L.

Am I right to think go smaller if I want to be a little lower at the front (more race orientated) or larger if I want to be a bit taller at the front (more relaxed)?

Giant’s website suggests the cranks on the M/L are 172.5 whereas the L are 175.

I will have to visit the LBS and the level of service will determine whether or not I purchase one from them rather than a 2012 online (I prefer using a LBS but £400 difference is significant)

iainc

Why not go M/L with a 10mm longer stem ? That’s what I ended up with on my M from the bike fit. Sizing is all about reach which has biggest impact on comfort. You can play with spacers on the headset to suit

meehaja
    Free Member

6ft tall, with long legs, went for an M TCR, M/L I was too stretched out

metalheart
    Free Member

If its anything like the SL then the M/L has 172.5 cranks and 42 bars, the L has 175’s and 44’s. Which is annoying as I like 175’s and need 44’s. Got a M/L TCR C2 which has seen me good the last 5 years and I’m just a smidge under 6′. For me a L would be too long (incidentally when I found a giant frame sizer thing somewhere it pointed me directly at a M/L, I’ll see if I can find that..)

anagallis_arvensis

Just go a good shop and get fitted

luffy105
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and have the Defy 0. I went for the L as it felt more relaxed and comfier on longer rides.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Im 6ft 2″. I ride a large defy carbon.. i have a 35″ inseam, short torso and long arms. running it with the factory 110mm stem. I used to have a cannondale synapse in a 60. geometry never felt right, changed stem etc and just couldn’t find the sweetspot. Tried a spesh 58 and a 61.. 58 wouldnt allow me to run enough seatpost and 61 was too big on the reach. I find the large defy ideal, right amount of seatpost and t/tube is 575mm which is perfect for me.. hope this helps! 😀

timbur
    Free Member

I’ll be in Giant Shoreham tomorrow if you want to throw a leg over one of each.
    I’m 6’1” and would go L but that’s just me.
    A colleague has just bought a ML and he’s only slightly shorter than me.
    Tim

trail_rat
    Free Member

I ride a large – im 6ft 3 with a 35 inch inseem

Any smaller than it wont be compact you really want m/l

I can ride a stock m/l too but run a 130mm stem on it to get the length i like.

mau00149
    Free Member

6’2″ tall 32″ inside leg, sat on a m/l in the shop and it felt fine, picked up a large second hand and it fits nicely (first road bike so just getting into the whole scene/sizing)

andyl46
    Free Member

6ft5 with an XL on a Defy Advanced. No help to you at all, but a brilliant bike. 😉

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve been told that If when sitting on the bike i can see the front axle behind the bars when looking down the frame is too small as it should be in line or in front with the bars – is this a good indicator or nonsense?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nonce sense

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Just realised that there is a Giant store a couple of miles from Cribbs Causeway… Handy as there is a shopping trip already planned for tomorrow 🙂

tarquin
    Free Member

I’m just over 6 foot 2 and have an XL defy alliance.

The frame is a little large, I could have gone for an L with a longer stem perhaps but as I bought second hand my options were limited. Moved the seat forwards to compensate for my smaller arms, but quite long legs so the rest of the frame is ok.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’m a fraction under 6ft and an M/L is perfect.
    It’s a shame Giant don’t do the same size in their mtb range!

stratman
    Free Member

About 5’10”, but shortish legs and longish back

Happy on a M/L with stock stem

I’d get on one. By the way I love mine

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Having sat on both again I am still none the wiser… either will fit me with a bit of adjustment.

I may end up having to go for a 2013, paying full price and getting the store to fit it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It is much easier to make a bike slightly too small into a bike that fits but doesnt handle like a pig than it is to make a bike thats slightly too big fit well and not handle like a pig. – imo , ymmv

leftyboy
    Free Member

My Defy 1 arrived on Friday I’m 5’10” witha 31.5″ inside leg and I went for the M/L. Mine’s an insurance replacement so I didn’t tried one prior to deciding on model and size. Having sat on it it seems to be a very good fit for me.

Not ridden yet as I’m at least another 4 weeks away from riding the road bike whilst my injuries heal!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Having visited the shops several times and had a little pootle on both the M/L and the L I’ve opted for the L; I may need to change the stem but will see how I get on.

The M/L was a little too cramped for me, and due to the seat / bar height difference it felt too aggresive for my liking (I’m not the most flexible).

Can’t wait to get it 🙂 I resited the urge to go for a 2013 and instead opted for the reduced 2012.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Sizing – Input needed from other 6ft tall + riders!’ is closed to new replies.