Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Giant Defy Advanced Tyre Clear
  • anoyceperson
    Free Member

So, I’ve got a new Giant Defy Advanced disc coming on Monday but I wanted to preorder some new tyres as I can only imagine that the giant ones will be next to useless for commuting in the current conditions.

Anyone in the know about max tyre size? It ships with 25 and am certain that a 28 will fit but wondering if I could get away with a beefy 32?

STW collective. Whaddya reckon?

scaredypants

I reckon you should’ve gone for a different “commuter” frame

I suppose you might get a 32 in there, but what about guards ?

avdave2

28 will fit and you can fit the new Speedshield Guards they’ve made specifically for it. They work very well and are easy to fit.It does look as if wider than 28 would fit but I’d rather keep the ability to run mudguards in the winter. The original tyres aren’t too bad, I,ve had a couple of wet rides on them and survived but I’ve just got a pair of 25mm Panaracer Race D Evo2 to fit, got 10/10 in a Cycling Weekly review and were a good price from Probikeshop.
    You certainly don’t need wider tyres for the comfort, mine’s a less harsh ride than my Croix de Fer with 35mm Marathon Sports on.

chakaping
    Free Member

The supplied tyres are fine in bad weather, I was riding in very grotty conditions on them today.

I’d give them a go.

anoyceperson
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, I’m not worried about the grip, it’s the bloody punctures I can’t stand! I’ve had 3 this week on a brand new pair of Michelin Lithian ‘reinforced’.

I’ve commuted around 8,500km so far rota year without mudguards so fast so shall not let that stop me with the new bike.

There is a new Sks Race blade XL Pro out in January too which looks like a more sturdy clip on affair which is an option if I do decide to be a pansie.

eshershore
    Free Member

my 2015 Defy advanced pro came with Giant 25c tires and i fitted a variety of tires including:

Conti gator 28c
    S-Works Turbo 26c
    Conti 4 seasons 25c
    Vittoria Open Pave 27c
    Conti GP4000 in 28c

The bike has good clearance in the rear, but the fork has restricted clearance for anything bigger.

But, it depends on the actual tire as the 27c Vittoria came up small and the Gator 28c where more like a 26/27

whilst the GP4000 in 28c actually measured at 31.2mm wide when inflated on the Giant disc wheels and just cleared the underside of the crown, certainly no room for mudguards.

anoyceperson
    Free Member

Splendid reply. Thank you very much!

avdave2

The supplied tyres are fine in bad weather, I was riding in very grotty conditions on them today.

They are certainly better than I expected and at 250g when I took them off lighter than I was expecting. They don’t though have the grip of the Panaracers I’ve just fitted. However I won’t be chucking them away as just another set of crap oem tyres and they’ll go back on for the drier months.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted the Speedshield ‘guards to my Defy Advanced and they seem excellent. They’re discreet, were easy to fit and match the black of my bike. There’s no problem with 25mm Schwalbe Ones, too.

hora
    Free Member

Speedshield guards? Cheers

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Yep, the universal ones. They’re specifically for the Defy Advanced models.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Advanced Tyre Clear’ is closed to new replies.