Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 or 2 ? (New bike)
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Test riding on saturday at rutland waters.

Is the PRO 2 worth the extra £300 because i love them both?

cynic-al
    Free Member

why do you want to spend the extra 300? (or any of it)

What do you think it will get you?

qtip

I presume you mean is the PRO 1 worth the extra £300.

Isn’t the only difference that the 1 has Ultegra Di2 as compared to mechanical Ultegra on the 2. I’ve not used Di2, but I imagine it certainly has advantages, and it would cost more than £300 to upgrade later. If it were me, and I had the extra £300, then I’d probably go for the 1. However, if the extra £300 was a stretch, then I’d be more than happy with the 2.

FWIW I absolutely love my 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 2 with mechanical 105 and cable discs.

jacob46
    Free Member

Sorry sorry sorry!

Is the Pro 2 worth £300 more than Pro 3!!!

I do like the colour of 3 but ultegra on the 2.

qtip

In which case the only difference is Ultegra instead of 105. I’d go with the 3 and save the £300. The 105 groupset on mine has been faultless and I can’t imagine you’d notice the difference.

WildHunter2009

I’m picking up my Advanced 2 later on today. Its the same frame but with composite steerer. 105 and I think the Advanced have hydraulic brakes? I was very tempted but was not convinced the pretty big jump in price was worth it. Will let you know what the 105 is like later.

My plan is if I’m covering the miles to upgrade to some Mason Hunt wheels. I suspect that will put me in swinging of the pro weightwise but still cheaper. Have heard the hydraulics are a lot nicer though 🙁

TiRed

Pick the nicest colour. There is no functional difference between 11spd 105 and Ultegra – and Dura Ace for that matter! Weight difference will be about half a bidon.

DaveRambo

spend the money

No-one ever regretted getting the next bike up in the range.

iainc

I have a 2016 Advanced Pro 2 in my ‘very likely’ basket at LBS at present (there is a 12 week lead time on them…)

It will be replacing a 2012 Defy Composite 1, which has Ultegra on it, so I wanted to stay at that spec. The current 105 is IMO way better than the 2012 Ultegra – I have it on my CDF30 and it is lovely, so I can’t imagine there is much between 2016 Ultegra and 105 in performance.

chakaping
    Free Member

can’t imagine there is much between 2016 Ultegra and 105 in performance.

Ultegra seems a tiny bit crisper and smoother to me, as well as lighter obvs.

But could you get a wheel upgrade with the extra cash instead?

iainc

^^^ The 2016 Giant wheels are apparently a lot better than the older ones. On my 2012 I changed them to Askiums, which were like night and day.

The only thing I plan to change on the Pro 2 is the tyres, to GP4000’s.

chakaping
    Free Member

iainc – If they’re anything like my 2014 P-SL1 wheelset then they’ll be pretty good mid-range wheels.

If I was buying a disced-up Defy (which I probably will in a few years), I know I couldn’t resist a set of Ksyrium Pros though.

iainc

chapaking – good to know, thanks for that

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 or 2 ? (New bike)’ is closed to new replies.