Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Giant defy 2 or btwin 5
  • r17anm
    Free Member

Hi ive narrowed my new bike list down to a giant defy 2 at £600 or a btwin triban 5 at £500
    Im thinking the giant is a better spec but the btwin might have a better frame with the carbon seat stays
    Which one u reckon ?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Dont forget you get clipless pedals with the Triban and not the Giant, so thats another £30 to spend on the giant. The Triban tyres are trash, so need changing straight away. I rode the Defy 2 and didnt like it, seemed bland. A mate has the Triban 5 and is happy with it. Try both and see what you think.

jambon
    Free Member

I have the Triban 5. Very little to dislike about it. Yeah, the wheels and tyres are heavy but they’re solid and fine for training/Sunday rides. The frame is a minor work of art for the money. Get some tyres and wheels from PlanetX if you get into it and it’ll be good for racing on. Love the quick handling.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Resale on the giant will be a lot better when you get around to wanting to upgrade…

mtbfix

Are you a good bike mechanic? If not get the Giant from a proper bike shop. Last time I was in our local decathlon a bike was displayed with the fork on backwards so I fancy their bike prep folk may leave a little to be desired.

grilla
    Free Member

I’m biased as I just bought a Defy 2 for winter, my conclusions were

Tiagra on the Defy, Sora on the Triban. Main difference being the downshifting on the sora being a button up on the hood rather than a lever you can reach when in the drops. I think there is also a difference in being able to shift down multiple steps on Tiagra.

I’m not sure, but the triban doesn’t look to have points on the back for fitting mudguards ? Defy does, and there are giant specific guards that fit without issue.

From others comments I gather the saddle on Triban will need changing right away, more than offsets buying some pedals. I use M520 mtb clips. The Defy’s saddle seems fine.

The Triban’s forks are carbon, while the defy is alu .

Most reviews seem to say the Triban is a great bike for £500, and the Defy is a great bike for £800, if you can find your size for £200 quid less then you should be doing pretty well, I paid £100 more than that.

richen987
    Free Member

As grilla, i bought the Defy 2, 2012 model for £650, mainly because of the better groupset and the frame and forks get really well reviewed.

It is a very stiff and responsive, you feel the bike pick up straight away, I tried the Triban 5 and did not find it quite so responsive, it is still great value for money though.

I would try both and see what you prefer.
    I swapped the seatpost out for a carbon one to make the Giant a tad more comfy.

The Giant has carbon forks as well,
    it is the seat stays on the Triban which are carbon and alloy on the Giant.

stanfree
    Free Member

Defy 2 here as well , I got mine for £649 in the Embra bike sale and Its been a bargain. I’ve done about 1600 miles since august and only had to replace tyres and pads. I think I’ll probably upgrade the groupset and wheels at some point in hte future but the Frame is a great fit and comfy to ride all day.

The Triban looks a bargain as well for the money but Im glad I went for the Giant.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Giant defy 2 or btwin 5’ is closed to new replies.