Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Giant contact switch -servicing ?
  • cakefacesmallblock

Any one disassembled their Giant Contact Switch seatpost, to “service” it ? Mine has become very sluggish and I’m on a third cable in 8 months or so, I just hope to be able to pull it to bits (as far as possible anyway) , clean, grease (?) and re-assemble, to see if I can restore it to it’s rather brief former glory.
    I have removed the upper collar and cleaned under that and can see that the internals will unscrew and come out at the bottom of the post, but not sure what to expect to find !

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I usually manage 3 rides before mine seizes. Been back to Giant too. Junk.

singlecrack
    Free Member

In contrast I’ve had mine the same length of time as buzz and it’s been fine …..just general cleaning and lubing ……

I did have some trouble at the start …very stiff thumb switch …….hard to compress seat post ……better cable adjustment and routing has sorted it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cakefacesmallblock

I’m tempted to suggest it just needs a better wiper seal on the collar.
    The one it has obviously doesn’t work very well.

Fine in Marin County, as useful as a skateboard to a camel, in Worcestershire.

cakefacesmallblock

OK. For anyone interested, I have got mine working like new now. Simply took the plunge and took it to bits. No big surprises ( don’t know what I expected really :oops:) Lower attached to upper via what is basically a gas- strut, which is threaded into the lower, I used a pair of narrow pliers to undo this, in lieu of any thing more obvious to use, cleaned and applied grease to this.Upper is fluted so it can’t twist, where this slides in the lower (seatpost proper), was full of crap and water. Liberal flushing through with gt85, left to dry then liberally greased. All back to normal. I’ve taped up the slot in the seat tube which faces all the shite frome the rear wheel and will run like this for a while and see how we go. Hopefully for longer than previously. I must say, I reckon the whole thing had been factory-assembled, with no thought at all to lubrication.

pieandrun
    Free Member

cakefacesmallblock – many thanks, just about to attempt the same thing. If I understand your post correctly, the whole thing comes apart once you’ve unscrewed the gas strut (from the bottom of the post?). Is that it? Sounds too simple? Cheers.

fredminto08
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you have any pictures of the disasembley do you ‘cakefacesmallblock’?

fredminto08
    Free Member

Can anyone help?

rustysb
    Free Member

Just thought I’d add to this. Couldn’t find instructions for servicing anywhere other than the above advice. Took the plunge. So simple you don’t need pictures. Less than 10 mins and my switch was back to factory glory.

Had it 12 months, ride a few times a week around sheffield, no problems. A great buy at £130. Best money I’ve ever spent on a bike without doubt. Don’t delay, get one, which ever one your pockets allow. From new I filled the top of the seat post where the cable attaches with loads of thick grease. Stops pretty much all crap getting in to screw up mechanism. Mine became sluggish on return last week after a week riding in Wales. It was the gas strut that had rattled loose and unscrewed, lowering in the black post so the lever wasn’t contacting the gas strut plunger. If yours is slow returning I’d check this. I managed to take it apart and fully clean/lube/tighten without releasing the cable in less than 10 mins:

Remove saddle & check cable/lever is depressing
    Check to see if little plunger the lever presses is in contact (if not the strut has worked loose and lowered)
    Release post clamp
    Inside bottom of black post is a disc with holes – use slightly open needle pliers to try to tighten – if it screws in more there’s your fault. Nice quick fix!
    If you want to clean, undo disc fully, gas strut mechanism will drop out.
    Spray with your favourite cleaning fluid and re-grease.
    At this point the post is free to extend/lower – unscrew the collar on the top of the black post and get rid of all crap.
    Spray inside black post with something a little gentler and pump up/down
    I used clean rags inside and out to get it all nice and sparkly before spraying with silicone lube
    I checked the gas compressor worked in isolation and reassembled.

10 mins, some spray and dirty rags. As good as new!!!
    Will now do much more often – maybe with thread lock to stop the little monkey from rattling loose.

dennisg
    Free Member

Fantastic advice Rustysb.
    Followed your instructions and ceased seat was fixed.
    Mine was two issues..

1. Cable had ceased and needed replacing.
    2. Thing with holes at the base of the seatpost had somehow unscrewed itself.

Gave it a clean whilst in pieces and now it feels like new.

Thanks for your help!

steelkona
    Free Member

Yes great instructions.
    I opened mine up to see if I could find the source of the sideways saddle wobble that’s got to the point where you can feel it sat down!
    Looks like play between inner and outer post…so I guess that’s a trip to Giant then???
    Disc was really tight and damper fine.

mudglutten
    Free Member

This post has useful disassembly info. Thanks rusty and cake

Has anyone found where to get spares? The button in the top of the strut is seized on min (up or down I don’t know though I suspect down, as the strut is free and it’s extended by 9mm from the seat/seal.

Alternatively, anyone managed to release a stuck button?

Thanks all.

Gribs

I’ve got the same problem on mine. The button on the top of the strut jambed up with grit. Soaking it in lube free’d it off but it’s now not locking up properly so doesn’t always stay put.

rustysb
    Free Member

Mine still going strong well into its 3rd year of use. Had same problem with top switch getting stuck with crap. It did free with pressure washer and wd40. Mine is an older version but it has a hole on the front of the post at the top. I’ve sealed all with electrical tape. Less grit is getting in but not perfect. I’ve also used thread lock on the thread on the inner tube. That was over a year ago. Not once rattling loose since!!! I think Giant should sell it glued and suggest it as standard maintence. Happy dropping everyone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Giant contact switch -servicing ?’ is closed to new replies.