Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Giant anthem setup
  • midori
    Free Member

Rode my anthem last night and really hated it, the setup is all wrong.

I feel like I’m riding a chopper (really sitting back) but then in the singletrack I feel like I’m going over the bars. Also the rear shock is way to soft, feels really squishy. Comtemplating upgrading the rear shock to have pro pedal.

Was wondering has anybody else had such issues setting up an anthem?

Cheers

sslowpace
    Free Member

I’ve got an older one, but i run my forks with about 30% sag, and have the rear shock set up fairly firm. A good starting pressure for your rear shock is body weight+kit in lbs= shock pressure. you can add or remove pressure to suit.

With the rebound adjuster, set it to max and then dial down by 3 clicks. Again have a play to see if you prefer it a little faster or slower.

I’ve got a propedal shock but tend to not use it much as the maestro system is very good.

HTH

legend
    Free Member

Pump the shock up to the correct pressure? What fork you running? What length stem?

Had no issues with mine – front ends good for climbing, but low for the the downs but I run the fork to keep it high in it’s travel. TBH it sounds like you haven’t spent any time setting it up yet

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    midori
    Free Member

Cheers, I will put my kit on and get on the scales. Was planning to find some quiet trail, take some tools and session it until it feels right.

I won’t buy a rear shock just yet them.

legend
    Free Member

Took 3 or 4 rides with a few different tweaks till I was happy – give it some time and you’ll be grand

midori
    Free Member

Need to reset pressures I think. Stem is 90mm an standard fox rl 100mm fork.

Then do alot of position work.

The demo I rode was great but this bike just seems a pain to setup.

neninja
    Free Member

Sounds like you need air in the shock as suggested. My Anthem was certainly not a bike you’d call ‘squishy’.

I ran 20-25% sag in the shock depending out what I was doing.

mtbfix

Once you find your perfect set-up remember to write the pressures down somewhere. I always forget so it is set-up from scratch every time. Natch!

DeeJay
    Free Member

My 2010 model came with a little book – it says – rear shock sag – 8mm-11mm (mine is set at 11mm with riding kit) forks 15-20mm ( I went for 20 to start with but for me its better a 15). My Fox forks are very sensitive to rebound adjustment – the difference between just right and very slow is one click and I find I can alter it when I lock the fork out – which I did tonight and the handling goes VERY off. When its right though its a fantastic bike – enjoy 😀

midori
    Free Member

Cheers, going to hunt for the book tomorrow. Can’t remember seeing it though.

Really looking forward to getting it right, want it ready for the enduro 6.

adey205
    Free Member

i’ve had mine out for about half a dozen rides and seem to think i’ve got it spot on now. just play about with pressures and settings, it will come. bought mine with enduro 6 in mind too!

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

That is exactly how I felt, could never get it to feel right, suspect a pro pedal shock would have helped.
    I tried everything, shock, at pretty much every pressure under the sun, long stem, short stem, flat bars, flat bars with bar ends, risers, wide flats, saddle further back and further forward, bigger tyre on the front to the rear, both the same and vica versa . Nothing worked, it was always a disappointment. Never really hated a bike before but did really hate this one.

Eventually sold it to one very happy customer, wasn’t the bike for me, just to stress this fact as it clearly is a bike loved by many, and clearly not a bad bike at all, just a bad bike for me despite it being perfect on paper.

One thing, what gears are you running? As one thing I did notice was that it did seem to ride better with 3×9 than 1×9. The issues were still there but were strangely less so, seemed to ride best in the big ring, and not sure it liked the 33 tooth ring I used. But this might have been in my head as the suspension design ‘shouldn’t’ be that effected by an increase of one tooth!

Not that helpful advice I know, sorry. I would say a fitting a RP23 shock or similar, is what I would have done if I wanted to keep it, sadly I had got so fed up with it by that stage, that I was very happy to see the back of it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Giant anthem setup’ is closed to new replies.