Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ghost Stories
  • Harry_the_Spider

I need some ghost stories to keep the cub pack amused / entertained / terrified.

Anybody got any?

jimjam
    Free Member

Porsche Macan.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get them all down to the cinema to watch Ouija…

That’ll teach em’

gobuchul
    Free Member
    Cletus

As a kid I was always scared by stories about ghostly black dogs and that if you saw one you would be dead within a year.

This web site might have some good stuff for you.

http://www.scaryforkids.com/scary-stories/

Finally would reading The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe go down well? – I love it but maybe not scary for today’s kids?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Read this online ages ago:

2 kids 13 and 8 staying in their country home. Parents going out to dinner.

Door knocks, someone yells pizza delivery oldest kid starts to unlocking the door thinking his Dad is playing a prank and stops when he realises the voice is different.

He locks the other locks on the front door and runs upstairs with his brother and looks out to see a man dressed in black.

The guy kicks the door and then stares at them from down below and walks off after 15 mins.

The kids lock the window and hide. Shivering with fear.

The parents arrive home after 2 hours and the kids tell them what happened.

The police arrive and are familiar with description of the man in black and disappeared children across the county.

Sorry quickly typing but you get the gist.

hammerite
    Free Member

Something involving clowns and machetes should sort them out!

No seriously The Raven is fantastic. Especially if you can follow it up at a later date with The Simpsons version!

CountZero

There was one story I read in one of the early Pan Books of Horror Stories, called The Copper Bowl; very disturbing story involving a hungry rat…
    That aught to help the little dears have a restful night!
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2265582.The_Pan_Book_of_Horror_Stories
    http://www.booksquawk.com/2010/11/pan-book-of-horror-stories.html
    HP Lovecraft is always good, tales of the Elder Gods and things from the outer darkness.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/0ZMKlrYy6nM[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

one of my favourites
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Licked_Hand

A young girl is home alone for the first time with only her dog for company. Listening to the news, she hears of a killer (or mental patient) on the loose. Terrified, she locks all the doors and windows and goes to bed, taking her dog to her room with her and letting it sleep under her bed. She wakes in the night to hear a dripping sound coming from the bathroom. The dripping noise frightens her, but she is too scared to get out of bed and find out what it is. To reassure herself, she reaches a hand toward the floor for the dog and is rewarded by a reassuring lick on her hand. She lies awake listening to the dripping sound. Each time she feels frightened, she reaches for the dog on the floor and feels a lick on her hand. Eventually she falls asleep. The next morning when she wakes, she goes to the bathroom for a drink of water only to find her dead, mutilated dog hanging in the shower with his blood slowly dripping onto the tiles. On the shower wall, written in the dog’s blood, are the words “HUMANS CAN LICK, TOO.”

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Holy carp dude ^^^ that was great.

Going to bed now…anything licks me is going to get a baseball bat to the head. Unless it’s a playboy model.

Lifer
    Free Member

r/nosleep has some brilliant ones, not all may be safe for cubs though

chewkw
    Free Member

For non-believer try Ouija board if you are really brave that is.

If you live in an old house or better still near places of death.

I suggest you try out Ouija board by summoning “whoever” is nearby.

Simply ask the Ouija board to come over for a chat.

If you wish you can challenge it … no not lottery jackpot.

Report back after sometimes when you notice something weird if you notice that is.

Harry_the_Spider

I suggest you try out Ouija board

Doing a Ouija Board with a bunch of 8 and 9 year olds in a church hall is probably not the best idea.

allan23
    Free Member

I’d go for The Cats of Ulthar or Rats in the Walls by Lovecraft.

Fairly short and a bit gruesome, best if you have someone who can read with effect and get the imaginations working on the details that are unwritten.

CountZero

chewkw – Member
    For non-believer try Ouija board if you are really brave that is.

If you live in an old house or better still near places of death.

I suggest you try out Ouija board by summoning “whoever” is nearby.

Simply ask the Ouija board to come over for a chat.

If you wish you can challenge it … no not lottery jackpot.

Report back after sometimes when you notice something weird if you notice that is.
    Really, not at all big, and certainly not very clever.
    I don’t care how you dress it up, but Ouija boards can have a really unhealthy effect on some people, and are certainly not to be encouraged with children.
    And before you say anything, I’m as big a sceptic as you’re ever likely to find when it comes to the occult and paranormal, so don’t bother saying anything at all.

TimothyD
    Free Member

A friend who fiddled with an Ouija board with two other friends when they were kids seems to have a lingering belief/perturbed not sureness about ghosts.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have one experience with a Ouija board. Never again, IMO avoid and keep well clear of kids

Pook

you can’t say that and not tell us

chewkw
    Free Member

I ain’t asking children to play Ouija board.

I am asking you lot on STW non green horns to try it.

All those excuses saying they are skeptics then saying they are not trying it because it might mess up their minds … are you saying that you believe in after life?

Well for us the Ouija board is just a way to summon the nearest “soul, spirit whatever”. For example, the “player(s)” doing the summoning will summon whoever is/are nearest to him/her/them.

The problem with this is that the person(s) doing the summoning has no way of knowing who s/he is summoning. Can be a good soul/spirit or a being from hell.

If you are not a person of genuine good nature then be prepared for a wild ride into the darkness. The One is coming for you.

Now the question is do you believe in Heaven & Hell?

If you do not believe in Heaven & Hell then all my explanation is merely silly hot air nonsense.

Try it, give a go, prove me wrong after all science can answer everything and there is no such thing as after death. Isn’t that so?

stgeorge

so don’t bother saying anything at all.

Not really the idea of a forum 😀

I am asking you lot on STW non green horns to try it.

All those excuses saying they are skeptics then saying they are not trying it because it might mess up their minds … are you saying that you believe in after life?

Well for us the Ouija board is just a way to summon the nearest “soul, spirit whatever”. For example, the “player(s)” doing the summoning will summon whoever is/are nearest to him/her/them.

The problem with this is that the person(s) doing the summoning has no way of knowing who s/he is summoning. Can be a good soul/spirit or a being from hell.

If you are not a person of genuine good nature then be prepared for a wild ride into the darkness. The One is coming for you.

Now the question is do you believe in Heaven & Hell?

If you do not believe in Heaven & Hell then all my explanation is merely silly hot air nonsense.

Try it, give a go, prove me wrong after all science can answer everything and there is no such thing as after death. Isn’t that so?

but all I can say to this is WTF are you on!

An “STW non green horn” is worthy of a mumsnet acronym, STWNGH, WTF does that mean, big hitter or suchlike?

Harry_the_Spider

Well why did you bring it up on a thread about telling ghost stories to a Cub pack?

Anyway… back to my original OP. I have found a CD of ghost stories by Shanty Baba who does the Ghost Walks in St Ives. I’m going to play three of those to the kids whilst they are sat around a cauldron full of dry ice. That’ll do.

jekkyl

Harry, best if you tell a story with some sort of a character in and have that character knock at the window of the cub hut just at the climatic moment of the story and everything else is quiet.

Harry_the_Spider

We’re going to rig some of the furniture with fishing line and I’m thinking of making a severed head.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

STW non green horn

The accepted phrase is ‘big hitter’

nickc

Ouija Boards were invented by an American in the 19th century, they are magical in the same way that my watch “knows” what time it is…

TheFlyingOx

Knock yourself out.
    Particularly good are the wendigo/skinwalker ones.

Alternatively, our headmaster told us The Monkey’s Paw when we were on a primary school residential. He threw a lighter fluid-soak tissue into the fire right as the dad in the story throws the monkey’s paw into the fire. Tears were shed.

chewkw
    Free Member

stgeorge – Member

so don’t bother saying anything at all.

Not really the idea of a forum [/quote] He cannot decide if the board is real or not.

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Well why did you bring it up on a thread about telling ghost stories to a Cub pack?

bikebouy mentioned it so I thought I would add to that since most of you do not believe in this sort of things anyway. Why so quick to dismiss I have no idea after all majority of you do not believe in afterlife anyway.

If you believe or not believe in such thing you can still create a story out the board by telling the story of the non-believers finally getting their mind melt because they do not want to believe but yet the evidence goes against their principle.

ScottChegg – Member

STW non green horn

The accepted phrase is ‘big hitter’ [/quote]
    Okay. Should have used the reference “people with no experience of …”
    Is the description of “Green horn” offensive? I tried to find some description not to offend.

nickc – Member
    Ouija Boards were invented by an American in the 19th century, they are magical in the same way that my watch “knows” what time it is…

There you go a good explanation for non-believer.
    Hence I don’t know why people get so work up by it since Majority do not believe in after life.

user-removed
    Free Member

I have found a CD of ghost stories by Shanty Baba

Kids know a cop out when they see it! The facial expressions and the fact that someone is taking the time to sit down in person and tell them a story “from personal experience” are important ingredients in telling a scary tale…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Am I the only one to think the cubs’ parents are gonna love you? Read ’em ghost stories and then send them home too scared to sleep?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

considered just getting them to follow trump’s run-in to the us election? not a ghost story, but probably going to get far more scary than anything else you’ll come up with.

gonzy
    Free Member

did a bit of googling and came across this interesting story…its a bit of a read but now i want to know how it ended!!

nickc

There you go a good explanation for non-believer.

There is nothing to believe or not believe here. It’s a fact. There is no difference to between a monopoly board and Ouija board, they were both invented by Americans in the 19th century as parlour games. anything else is entirely your own imagination.

Harry_the_Spider

Am I the only one to think the cubs’ parents are gonna love you? Read ’em ghost stories and then send them home too scared to sleep?

It depends how much we scare them. Dry ice and ghost stories ok… Ouija Board not OK.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I have nothing to add I’m afraid. But I wanted to bookmark as I want to here more from teamhurtmore.

I did like this from a few years back, it’s more visual though than a story to tell.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpURRW80LnM[/video]

tadpole
    Free Member

Simian holocaust? Bit like the plot of Cannibal holocaust, but featuring monkeys…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ghost Stories’ is closed to new replies.