Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 'Ghost bike' protest over cycle safety
  • bruneep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23397935

Two “ghost bikes” for fallen cyclists are to be left outside the Scottish Parliament by campaigners calling for investment into cycle safety measures.

Cyclist deaths in Scotland

Alastair Dudgeon, 51, Kincardine (A985) 6 January
    Alistair MacBean, 74, Inverness (A82) 22 January
    Charles Aimer, 42, Errol (A90) 17 March
    Craig Tetshill, 21, Gorthleck (unclassified road) 16 May
    Kyle Allen, 8, Aberdeen (Great Northern Road) 21 May
    David Wallace, 52, Perth (West Mains Avenue) 12 June
    Douglas Brown, 79, West Lothian (B9080), 14 July
    Connor Shields, 14, Ellon (A975), 17 July

Not sure if the MSPs will take much notice.

strackbaz
    Free Member

3 of us have just finished LEJOG and I was shocked at some of the driving on our roads. We used cycle paths and NC routes when possible.

I’ve only ever seen the ghost bike in Fort William, and I think it’s a great thing.

Stay safe on the roads.

project
    Free Member

Not sure if the MSPs will take much notice.

Perhaps they would if there was an election looming, and they needed the votes to keep their income high, there used to be red signs done by Roadpaece, that they put up to remind people that someone had died at that location, with a red flower on it and a remember me under it with the persons name, but with the stupidity of some council works dept deciding to remove all crash memeorials, they seem to have disapeared.

Just perhaps when someone is kiled on our roads due to poor enginerering or design, then we should be out there painting the spot and pointing out the dangers to cyclists.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Maybe it’d be good to do what they do in France and put up an outline of a person everywhere someone has died in a vehicle accident- it really does make you think when you see them.

I do see the ghost bike in Fort William and it focuses your attention (though I suspect only when you know what it’s about, which most non-cyclists won’t).

discoduck
    Free Member

There are quite a few round London, “unfortunately” I first saw one at Notting Hill Gate about 5 Years ago !
    It made me shiver,

I’ve lost 3 mates in as many years riding on semi rural roads and for that reason alone I only now ride off road, the small amount of time that I actually do get to ride because of work / family commitments makes more sense, to me anyway

bruneep
    scotroutes

😥

There should be one bike for each fatality!

garage-dweller

Every little helps in the awareness stakes.

I have been thinking about designing some window stickers lately for cars that are pro cycling, in the same vein as think bike think biker. I like the idea of promoting cycling and cycle friendly conduct while car bound for work. I cannot decide if they might look a bit stupid though.

imnotverygood

I have been thinking about designing some window stickers lately for cars that are pro cycling, in the same vein as think bike think biker. I like the idea of promoting cycling and cycle friendly conduct while car bound for work. I cannot decide if they might look a bit stupid though.

They probably would when you inevitably end up inadvertantly left hooking someone.

busydog
    Free Member

Whenever a cyclist is killed here in Albuquerque, they put up a “ghost bike” as a memorial at the location on the side of the road/street. Kind of a sobering reminder.

qwerty
    Free Member

Whenever a cyclist is killed in London, they put up a “ghost bike” as a memorial at the location on the side of the road/street. Kind of a sobering reminder.

Coyote
    Free Member

3 of us have just finished LEJOG and I was shocked at some of the driving on our roads

I hear ya! I travel between our sites on a regular basis covering many miles a year and I never cease to be amazed at the poor standard of driving I see every day. It really beggars belief!

though I suspect only when you know what it’s about, which most non-cyclists won’t

True, but the more ghost bikes appear, the more the media will notice. Anyone who is thinking “what use for this old frame?”. Simple, spray it white and make good use of it.

jekkyl

There’s one on the road twixt betwyscoed and the start of the marin trail.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘'Ghost bike' protest over cycle safety’ is closed to new replies.