Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless. Has anyone tried glueing the rim strip to the rim ?
  • I'm changing tyres and having trouble with the edge of the rim strip rolling over back towards the centre of the rim instead of poking out the side.
    I know it will probably still seal doubled up like this, but it would be better if it sat in place properly.
    Has anyone tried glueing the strip down to hold it in place ?
    What glue ?
    I want it to stay in place, but if I ever need to replace the strip I don't want to have to scrape it off the rim.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Maybe the rim strip you have is too wide?

No, I trimmed it off close to the rim when I first fitted it to the previous tyre.
    That's the problem. If it was wider there would be something to hold on to and I could get it to stay in place better.
    I could get round it by using another new 20" tube and trimming it off after I have inflated the tyre, but I'm trying to reuse the old one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can't see it causing any trouble, other than adding whatever weight the glue is. Oh and if you need to use a tube, you're going to sit for hours trying to remove the material from where the bead normallyg sits.

Chainline
    Free Member

USe double sided tape, thats what the DT kit has in it and it's pretty effective.

I'll give the double sided tape a go.
    It's all on there and sealed now, but some of the rim strip is not visible where it has folded over double and gone down below the edge of the rim.
    I'll leave it for now, but I'll get some tape and do a tidier job next time.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Could try artists spray mount.. I've used it to stick chainstay guards and grips down and it's grippy as **** once it's dried.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

u nede 2 use aryldyt 2012 2 glew the rimstrip to the rim it is wikid strong than u use aryldyt 2011 betwene the bede and the rimstrip so the bede dusnt role of of the rim if u do wikid dh and jumps befor u glew the tire on put fethers from a duckdown pilow inside the tire then put 250 cl of laytext seelint in so the fethers make the seelint stik to the sides of the tire it will neva go flat a mekanik at bike shop tolled me this its wikid awsum 4 dh

M6TTF
    Free Member

Schpeak engerlish boi!!! F*cling text talk does my head in

bruneep

+1

u nede 2 use aryldyt 2012 2 glew the rimstrip to the rim it is wikid strong than u use aryldyt 2011 betwene the bede and the rimstrip so the bede dusnt role of of the rim if u do wikid dh and jumps befor u glew the tire on put fethers from a duckdown pilow inside the tire then put 250 cl of laytext seelint in so the fethers make the seelint stik to the sides of the tire it will neva go flat a mekanik at bike shop tolled me this its wikid awsum 4 dh

Anyone translate that?

Rich_s

Nah, CBA.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

+1

Anyone translate that?

I think he's ssuggesting the use of araldite 2012 to glue the strip in place, and then using 250ml of sealant in the tyre with feathers from a duckdown pillow.

Yep, really makes fücking sense, unless I've lost something in translation. Imagine 250ml of latex all gluing a bunch of feathers together sticking to one portion of the inside of the tyre, bet that makes for some interesting ride handling. Use of araldite also means that a problem mid ride that needs reverting back to a tube would be inetresting to sort out.

Text talk, ignorant & lazy mode of communication, reserved for texting, not responses on a forum, especially if you have a proper keyboard in front of you.

Bikewhisperer, thanks for the suggestion.
    I guess this stuff…
    http://www.staples.co.uk/glue-and-sticky-tape/spray-glue/re-mount-400ml
    …would do the trick as it is not permanent and should be easier to apply than tape.
    I just want something that will hold the strip in place while I fit the tyre, but will peel off if I need to fit a tube out on the trail.

I'm vegan, so the feathers option is out. 😀

sslowpace
    Free Member

Sage words there from Mr Datz. Take note folks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless. Has anyone tried glueing the rim strip to the rim ?’ is closed to new replies.