Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless – Gorilla tape, Joes Sealant & non UST tyres
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Am I going to be successful if I attempt to Ghetto my Stans 355 rims with gorilla tape, joes sealant and Schwalbe Nobby nic's / Racing Ralphs in a non UST variety?

It's somethign I fancy doing and I have all of the above in the shed or already on my bike.

Using the youtube video as guidance/instructions.

My mate has done it on the same rims with Bonty Mud-x's but they're "tubeless ready" with the addition of sealant.

soobalias
    Free Member

i couldnt get nics (evo) to take on 819's

13thfloormonk

Probably, but you want to wrap the rim in enough layers of gorilla tape that the tyre is a really tight fit, and I mean really. If you can get it on easily with your fingers then that's probably not enough.

This is so that the bead of the tyre is already tight against the base of the rim before you start pumping, otherwise you'll just be pumping air out through the gap between the tyre and the base of the rim.

I use enough tape that when I press the deflated tyre against the rim I can audibly hear the air hissing out between the bead and the rim.

The same would apply with non-UST tyres and 819s, I had to wrap the 819s in several layers of insulating tape to make the tyres tight enough to take easily.

Potdog
    Free Member

I'm guessing that wire beaded tyres work better than folding ones ?

13thfloormonk

Not really, in fact the extra stiffness of the bead can be a hindrance if its slightly kinked. Thats why folk usually suggest riding wired beaded tyres with tubes for a couple of rides before attempting to tubeless them.

Sam

Using stans rims hardly constitutes ghetto… Shouldn't be a problem at all.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The tyres are bastard tight on the rims anyway.

Whats with all the talk of 819, I've got Stans 355's 😕

I'll give it ago on Saturday then 😀

Northwind

I just used completely ordinary electric tape for mine (Well, for my Traversees not my Flows but it's basically the same thing, Specialized copy other people's designs well…) and seems to be working every bit as well as the yellow tape.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless – Gorilla tape, Joes Sealant & non UST tyres’ is closed to new replies.