Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ghetto tubeless compressor
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i know this has been probably done before, but the one i spotted on here a few months ago wasnt all that clear. however this one seems to be very clear in its instructions by comparison.
    no all i need to do is do a ghetto tubeless conversion of my wheels
    [video]https://youtu.be/EtmatxJG_zg[/video]

prezet
    Free Member

Made one of these over the weekend. However I used 1 presta and 1 schrader valve. The then used a presta to schrader brass converter to make sure I could screw it onto my tubeless valve without the risk of it popping off when releasing the clip.

Works really nicely, can easily get 100psi in it. I did also use some araldite around where the tube connects to the valve as on the first test run it came off at about 70psi and the tube whipped me on the leg. Cue bad words.

poah
    Free Member

about 18 months out of date with that article.

ahwiles
    Free Member

this is just friendly advice:

please be careful with compressed air. It can be dangerous, especially when it’s all a bit ghetto, and you intend to release it quickly.

And there’s no need to inflate the thing beyond the point at which it’ll work – i’ve found 40psi in a 2litre bottle is enough to seat a 2.4″ 29er tyre.

carry on…

gonzy
    Free Member

please be careful with compressed air. It can be dangerous, especially when it’s all a bit ghetto, and you intend to release it quickly.

And there’s no need to inflate the thing beyond the point at which it’ll work – i’ve found 40psi in a 2litre bottle is enough to seat a 2.4″ 29er tyre.

thanks! 😀

scc999

Anyone come up with something a bit more robust than a plastic bottle (that’s easy to get hold of)?

Bit concerned I’ll damage the bottle and it’ll let go when I’m inflating it.

Si

Andy-R

When I make them I test them filled with water first – and change the bottle fairly frequently before they get scratched or UV degraded.

prezet
    Free Member

Anyone come up with something a bit more robust than a plastic bottle (that’s easy to get hold of)?

Have a look at the Airshot if you want to pay £60 for it.

When I make them I test them filled with water first – and change the bottle fairly frequently before they get scratched or UV degraded.

I’ve found the wrapping in duct tape does seem to add some extra security to it exploding.

jimjam
    Free Member

scc999 – Member

I use an old fire extinguisher. Similar idea but a lot more refined.

scc999

We don’t drink coke (or any fizzy drink) so I’d have to buy one specially (and throw away the contents, which would be a waste) so can’t just replace it.

I’ll see if I can find somewhere to get hold of an old fire extinguisher.

Cheers,

Si

prezet
    Free Member

We don’t drink coke (or any fizzy drink) so I’d have to buy one specially (and throw away the contents, which would be a waste) so can’t just replace it.

We don’t normally, but I made the sacrifice and mixed it with a fair quantity of Jack Daniels.

enfht
    Free Member

If a tubeless tyre won’t pump up without using a compressor, then add more rim tape.

Using a compressor to ‘force’ the tyre to inflate will inevitability leave you stranded with a flat tyre, in the dark, soaking wet and crying for you mummy.

martinhutch

I use an old garden sprayer. The pressure release valve goes off at 30psi so I blocked that with a cone of plastic cut from the top of a sealant tube, forced into the hole and held there with the valve’s own plastic screw-on cap.

The sprayer’s own hose fits nicely over a presta valve.

Only taken it up to 50psi so far, which has been plenty.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ghetto tubeless compressor’ is closed to new replies.