Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ghetto on Stans Rim
  • benjamins11
    Free Member

Just thought I'd check, cant see any reason why it wouldnt but does anyone know if you can run a ghetto tubeless setup on a stans no tubes rim?

Pretty sure if it works on a normal rim should work even better on a stans rim.

Also can I still call it ghetto if using a tubeless rim, this may violate the rules of ghettoness?

Who_else
    Free Member

Why would you need to do such a thing?

charlierevell
    Free Member

What are you on about? All you need is a valve and a rim tape (£7 and £12 respectively!) Why would you arse about with cutting up 20" tubes?

benjamins11
    Free Member

because a split innertube cost £4 and a stans rim strip is £16. Which is fine if it works much better, if its no difference then I'd rather save £12. Hence why the STW massive's wealth of experience is sought.

jonb
    Free Member

It probably would work but by the time you messed around you'd be better off with the proper kit. That's half the point of stan's rims.

benjamins11
    Free Member

the rim tape valve and rim tape way of doing it isnt supposed to work so well without UST tyres according to JRA's website, apparently you can get burping issues.

starseven
    Free Member

You can buy unbranded rim tape. Having said that I think I got the stans tape and a couple of valves for £20 which is much tidier than a tube and at least £12 quids worth lighter.

Stop being so tight squeaky and buy the right gear.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Good point well made! I shall stop being tight.

br
    Free Member

I thought that the idea with Stans rims is that you didn't need the 'Stans rim tape cw valve', but could just use a valve and the 'yellow Stans tape' – or am I wrong?

benjamins11
    Free Member

you can, although apparently if your not using a ust tyre the rim strip works better

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

br, that's my understanding too

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You can do this, but it defeats the point of using a Stans rim IMO.

Choosing the right tyre, or model of tyre, can circumnavigate the burping issue.

IME, irrespective of a UST or regular bead, when a stans rim has the bead, its pretty reluctant to let it go. I've only ever failed to inflate kevlar bead Maxxis Highrollers. I've never had a tyre burp on me.

thekingofsweden

All I run is 3M Mylar tape off eBay about a fiver for 30 metres

Stans valve with removeable core

Never had any issues in two years

I thought that was why the stans rim had the double bead like a car rim

Never used a ust tyre either

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto on Stans Rim’ is closed to new replies.