Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • getting used to rd bike braking
  • Dickyboy

anyone else find the transition unsettling?

Me too – just couldn’t get used to riding drops & braking on bumpy gravel filled potholes around the chilterns, used to always ride road bikes 20+ years ago but now ride flat bar hybrids instead (with either dics or v brakes btw) when out for a road ride. If I lived somewhere with flatter & smoother roads would probably get a proper road bike though.

D0NK

It was a bit lairy on occasions during this winter when road water would freeze on rims/brakes and braking would be non existent until some heat got into them

This winter I did suffer this offroad in the mud on my old rim braked SS, but it never happened to me on my road commuter (mean streets of manchester tho, not anywhere exposed or high up)

molgrips
    Free Member

There simply isn’t an issue here

There is on my bike.

Seriously. When I grab my brakes I expect at least a moderate amount of retarding force. I am not making this up for the hell of it. And yes I’ve cleaned the rims, tried different pads, sanded the glaze off etc etc.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Using decent pads is a good place to start, and SwissStop are top notch:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42658

Peyote
    Free Member

Manufacturers are starting to make disc brakes for roadbikes. Not quite Dura Ace level, but it’s only a matter of time:

http://www.veloecosse.com/productdetails.asp?productid=15463

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=100&sortname=Disc&sort=1&fid=1

I like the look of the Lyras, and I reckon my BB5s have saved me two sets of rims already. Then again I ride a Tourer, not a proper road bike.

uplink
    Free Member

Those Swissstop ones are good but pricey

I found the Kool Stop Salmon ones a vast improvement to the standard Shimano 105 OEMs

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura-aceultegra105-pair-of-cartridge-inserts/

oldgit
    Free Member

Retarding force 😆

What brake/rim are you using? They should be seriously good. Using another racing situation to put it in perspective. When the bunch is hooning downhill all trying to be the first into the bend there’s never any problems. You even get a massive cloud of brake dust thrown up…..which made me go Woooo when I first saw it happen.

samuri
    Free Member

Seriously. When I grab my brakes I expect at least a moderate amount of retarding force. I am not making this up for the hell of it. And yes I’ve cleaned the rims, tried different pads, sanded the glaze off etc etc.

You’re doing something wrong then, go see what a shop says about it. Lots of people on road bikes ride really fast and feel that their brakes are capable of stopping them in a reasonable distance.

GW
    Free Member

almost all mountainbike “enthusiasts” these days feel they “need” to have disc brakes on their mountain bike no matter how lame the terrain it’s going to be ridden on turning most of them into a bunch of pussies. same with longer travel trail bikes.

the only retarding force is the rider..

D0NK

Anyone who wants to confirm their non-pussy status I have some XT/XTR Vs and some magura hydro rim brakes for sale 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re doing something wrong then

Like what? Last time this came up btw a lot of people also complained about 105 brakes.

feel that their brakes are capable of stopping them in a reasonable distance feel that their brakes are capable of stopping them in a reasonable distance

And I don’t – in the wet. Maybe my standards have been progressively raised since M-System and then discs were invented but the brakes on my road bike in the rain will NOT stop me quickly enough in an emergency. That’s a fact.

Why? I’d love to know. Either you have different brakes, have different standards, don’t ride in solid rain or you depend on avoiding things rather than stopping, rollerblader style.

I got used to stopping on 6d on my MTB, so I feel like I’d like to do this on a road bike too.

Peyote
    Free Member

Anyone wants to confirm their pussy status status I’ve got some Hayes So1e in my garage waiting for a new home, mind you, if you’ve ever used them in anger you probably not that much of a pussy. They are worse than dual pivots! 😉

GW
    Free Member

Like what? Last time this came up btw a lot of people also complained about 105 brakes

He told you (other than being one of many pussies)

go see what a shop says about it.

😉

uplink
    Free Member

105 brakes are OK – It’s what I have
    As above though, they were greatly improved with the Koolstop pads

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got disc brakes on my road bike with full mudguards and a rack and it makes it sssooo much better for year round commuting. When its raining really hard, rim brakes just don’t work. If someone pulls out on you, you’re stuffed. it doesn’t matter how carefully you ride, unexpected stuff can always happen.

A road bike tyre has more grip than a mtb tyre in many situations too, locking up wheels just doesn’t happen (unless you want it to).

having said all this, my road bike would probably be considered a “tourer” but i can’t be bothered trying to work out what niche its in.

If its got drops and slicks its a road bike!

molgrips
    Free Member

it makes it sssooo much better for year round commuting

No it doesn’t! You LIE! LIE!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘getting used to rd bike braking’ is closed to new replies.