Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • getting used to rd bike braking
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a rd bike for around 3 months. I find it a little unnerving not covering the brakes. (I’m so used to covering the brakes on my mtb).

I find it quite difficult to descend especially around traffic without tensing up & dragging the brakes

anyone else find the transition unsettling?

geoffj

anyone else find the transition unsettling?

Yes, but not as much since I got the brakes set up properly.

**would still like discs though

wwaswas

I always tended to view brakes on my road bike as more for ‘scrubbing off speed’ than actual ‘stopping quickly’ so was never disappointed when approaching trouble to find they weren’t immediately to hand.

Having said that, if you ride ‘on the hoods’ most of the time (which most roadies do) then you’ve got the brakes covered anyway?

GW
    Free Member

nope. you should be braking exactly the same as on your mtb (ie. only when required).. you should be able to reach the brake levers on the drops and on the hoods you can cover them.. you’ll be on the hoods in any situation where you need to cover them (busy traffic in towns etc.)
    Why would anyone want discs on a roadbike?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I find them quite powerfull acutaly, easily enough to lock up the rear wheel, why on earth would you want disks? On a crosser in mud I can kinda see the point, or as a tandem drag brake, but for general use?

GW
    Free Member

I always tended to view brakes on my road bike as more for ‘scrubbing off speed’ than actual ‘stopping quickly’ so was never disappointed when approaching trouble to find they weren’t immediately to hand.

That’s not down to the brakes tho.. it’s because the tyres will lose traction if you brake too hard.. you simply have to plan ahead.. and if you find something instantly in your path from nowhere you need to be able to react quickly to avoid it rather than try come to a complete stop. Modern dual pivot road brakes are more than capable. – I’ve locked up both front and rear brakes on a fast decent when a badger decided it would cross the road! sliding towards a big mental looking animal while trying to judge the swerve/skid to miss its’ gotta be up there with the biggest adrenaline rushes I’ve ever had on any bike

wwaswas

GW – I realise it’s more about available traction and having quick reflexes but road bike brakes (like most rim brakes) are laughable in their ineffectiveness – combined with tyres that have, at best, only a passing aquaintance with a wet road surface it’s arecipe for falling off on the first down hill off camber corner you find (in my experience).

uplink
    Free Member

One tip:

When descending a very steep hill with a hairpin half way down in wet, slippery conditions – do not leave you’re braking too late and then decide to get off the front brake to avoid having to turn with it on

no, that would be a bad idea 😥

wwaswas

uplink – once you’re down you do tend to slide better on a wet road though, ime.

sefton
    Free Member

I think thats the key – PLAN AHEAD when on a rd bike.

titusrider
    Free Member

My attitude with it is that road bikes are so responsive and narrow that brakes are just for scrubing off speed before corners. Any emergency is best delt with by swerving and avoidance!

GW
    Free Member

road bike brakes (like most rim brakes) are laughable in their ineffectiveness

absolute load of shite!
    I don’t even know you but it seems blatantly obvious you simply brake way too much!
    HTF did we ride before discs? oh, yeah.. exactly the **** same 🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

realise it’s more about available traction and having quick reflexes but road bike brakes (like most rim brakes) are laughable in their ineffectiveness – combined with tyres that have, at best, only a passing aquaintance with a wet road surface it’s arecipe for falling off on the first down hill off camber corner you find (in my experience).

Disks won’t compensate for duff technique though. I’m no spring chicken, in fact I’m half as heavy again as most serious roadies, and I’ve not found the brakes inadequate, even Winnats pass was rideable, felt more in danger of going OTB than running out of brakes!

hels
    Free Member

Get better brakes !

wwaswas

I don’t even know you

clearly.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

GW – Member

Not that I do on my ‘proper’ road bike, but stopping in the wet, saving your rims are good enough reasons. I tour on an uncle John, and it stops much easier with BB5’s than it does with cantis or mini v’s

Tracker1972
    Free Member

On my hybrid commuter the thing that gets me about the brakes is if it is at all grotty weather, bit damp, mucky, whatever I pull on the brakes until I am slowing as much as I want, then after presumably one rotation of the wheel I suddenly get a lot more braking. Not normally a problem but nearly caught me out when I am hooning down a steep hill towards a tight bumpy corner trying to loose the car behind me (unsuccessfully but you have to enjoy the downs don’t you).
    Usually enough outright power but do you not get a similar effect if braking force suddenly ramping up once the rim is cleaned?

GW
    Free Member

Aye, Paul. proper roadbike is what I meant.. I mostly ride rural routes on mine and can often ride for half an hour without ever braking at all. rims last me the life of the bike (other than one huge pothole on a night ride years back)

GW
    Free Member

if it is at all grotty weather, bit damp, mucky, whatever I pull on the brakes until I am slowing as much as I want, then after presumably one rotation of the wheel I suddenly get a lot more braking.

[quote]Usually enough outright power but do you not get a similar effect if braking force suddenly ramping up once the Disc is cleaned? [/quote]
    Yes, obviously 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

my road brake brakes are excellent. cheap tektros on a £500 boardman.

who knows what you lot are up to with rubbish brakes?

only thing to watch out for on a road bike is descending with the brakes on – no weight on the rear – the smallest of turns can send the rear end sliding. 😯

uplink
    Free Member

only thing to watch out for on a road bike is descending with the brakes on – no weight on the rear – the smallest of turns can send the rear end sliding

see my post above 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

GW-but it just doesn’t happen on my bikes with discs, even when being used to commute with slicks (well, semi slicks but not knobblies), or at least I have never noticed it happen, but thanks for trying to fix it for me anyway 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

get used to descending in the drops rather than trying to maintain that upright mtb position.

wwaswas

If the UCI allowed it and Shimano et al could make road disc brakes as light as calipers then most of the pro-riders would use them.

The biggest advantage of disk over rim brakes is modulation (even more so with carbon rimmed road wheels, I’d guess) you can brake harder (and for less time) because you have more control over the amountof force being exerted via the braking surface and thus whether the wheel locks.

I’ve been playing devils advocate (to a certain extent) but road brakes are notoriously poor on bad surfaces and in wet conditions – partly due to wet braking surfaces but also due to the small contact patch and uncertain modulation.

IdleJon

wwaswas – Member
    If the UCI allowed it and Shimano et al could make road disc brakes as light as calipers then most of the pro-riders would use them.

😆

Have you ever raced, wwaswas?

GW
    Free Member

wow!! Most professional road riders would use the latest kit from their sponsors? really? Nothing like mountain biking then 😉

D0NK

Hmmm, i thought modulation was better the bigger the disc, and your rims are a pretty big disc.
    Proper dual pivot calipers seem strong enough to lock up either wheel to me. Admittedly mini Vs and cantis aren’t so powerful.
    Some good points for discs are your rims last a lot longer and you don’t have to fettle them (tho can’t remember ever having to fettle dual pivot cantis) and maybe heavy tourers need the extra power dunno never toured.

I frequently end up going too quick (eg. approaching tight corners) on my road bike and it always seems to be lack of grip that limits braking.

To the OP change your setup so you can cover the brakes from the drops and the hoods.

wwaswas

Have you ever raced, wwaswas?

Not on the road but I’ve watched a few descents on the big stage races and I can’t see why you’d not want to use the most effective brake available.

This conversation feels like the disk versus V-brake arguments that Mtbers were having 10 years ago.

It’s all opinion and personal experience, GW rides everywhere on traffic free roads and never brakes, I ride in mixed conditions and find road brakes of dubious benefit descending steep hills in the wet.

Neither of us is particularly right or wrong other than about ourselves and what we want from a bike.

Yes pro riders often race what they’re given but their sponsors probably wouldn’t send them out on soemthign that was going to make them lose?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Before road bikes get discs they’ll have to deal with dissapating the heat generated from braking at 50kph using a 140 disc! Rims get hot enough on alpine decsents to soften tub glue!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I really can’t think of a situation in the wet or dry where I have thought I would want disc brakes on a road bike, I have always managed to lock up or nearly go over the bars before running out of braking power. If its wet just anticipate a little better and its not a problem.

I’d be surprised if pros would want discs. Having done a few decents in the alps, rim brakes make your wheels nice and hot which in turn makes your tyres nice and sticky, in fact the level of grip I would say doubles over a cold tyre.

molgrips
    Free Member

My road brakes are reasonable (but not good) in the dry, but worthless in the wet.

I really can’t think of a situation in the wet or dry where I have thought I would want disc brakes on a road bike

Riding down here in the rain is a pretty persuasive situation.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I have mixed experiences with roadie brakes.
    On my winter bike the cheap tektro long drop calipers with shite pads are not very good, and scary in the wet. I really need to get around to upgrading the pads. I would love discs on that bike when it is chucking down with rain.
    In the dry though, on my good bike, the SRAM force dual pivot calipers with standard pads (made by swissstop for SRAM I think) are really, really powerful. Probably more powerful than the 203mm Hope M4’s on my mountain bike.

I descend on the drops for proper 1 finger braking power.

oldgit
    Free Member

AFAIC if you can pull a endo 180 on an Ultegra equipped PX then they’re powerful enough.
    In fact all road brakes are more than good enough for the job. You couldn’t race bumper to bumper otherwise.
    It’ll be set up.

Edit; confesses I can’t manage a full 180, more like endo 45o

uplink
    Free Member

Having done a few decents in the alps, rim brakes make your wheels nice and hot

Didn’t that lead to a [career ending] crash for someone in the TDF – His tyres un-glued themselves

Armstrong was chasing him at the time & ended up going off piste a bit

EDIT: – This one

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc0kEMV8GYQ[/video]

Haze

Not sure I feel the need for discs on mine, I’d have thought they’d send me straight to the floor when I need to grab a handful.

Back end gets lively enough already on those rare occasions…

GW
    Free Member

Misquote GW

GW rides everywhere on traffic free roads and never brakes

molgrips
    Free Member

AFAIC if you can pull a endo 180 on an Ultegra equipped PX then they’re powerful enough

No, that just means you can throw your weight forwards 🙂 I can endo bikes with crap brakes.

Trekster

Having done a few decents in the alps, rim brakes make your wheels nice and hot which in turn makes your tyres nice and sticky, in fact the level of grip I would say doubles over a cold tyre.

Always use new tubes, never puncture repaired ones for this reason 😥
    Mate runs discs on his tourers now due to this problem and having tubes disintegrate due to rim brake heat dissipating through tyres/tubes 🙄
    It was a bit lairy on occasions during this winter when road water would freeze on rims/brakes and braking would be non existent until some heat got into them ❗
    My road bike brakes are Shim 105 and are great depending on pad compound and road conditions which have to be adjusted to.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

uplink – ok so thats one example in many thousands of decents.

The difference in grip is truly amazing though, which you wouldnt get with disc brakes. Great when you stop at the bottom too and loads of grit sticks to your tyres.

oldgit
    Free Member

No, that just means you can throw your weight forwards I can endo bikes with crap brakes

I’m talking unintentionally….nah just kidding.
    There simply isn’t an issue here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘getting used to rd bike braking’ is closed to new replies.