Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting tyres onto crest rims, tips please!
  • sidetracked
    Free Member

Finally got around to putting a tyre on my new Hope wheel (Crest rim) this evening, or at least trying to..

First attempt was a mud x and the second bead just wasn’t going on. Even with a good wipe of soap and water, there was no chance of easing the bead onto the rim. Has anyone managed this?

I had a second attempt with a Cinder and that wasn’t quite as tight but still wouldn’t go on. My thumbs hurt now. Is there some trick I’m missing?

Cheers
    //A

lucien

I can’t get my Crest’s to seal – I’ve tried rim strips (too wide), I’ve tried yellow tape and valves (valve leaks around the rim) – but certainly tubeless tyres (Specialized the Captain & Specialized Storm Control) seem to be no problem at all getting on (IMHO) and usually I struggle with getting tyres on

pinches
    Free Member

on the crest you need to put the bead in the central groove, start from the valve and gather the slack in the tyre as you work your way round. I’ve got rocket rons on my crests and i don’t use tyre levers to put them on or off!

bassspine
    Free Member

its surprising how much the rim strip affects how easy/hard it is to get the tyre on.

Northwind

Not Crests but Flows here and they’re dead easy- just occasionally need to make sure the tyre’s properly into the valley of the rim on the other side, if it gets hung up on the bead then it’ll not go.

sidetracked
    Free Member

I’ve got Velox rim tape in there at the moment. Not trying to run them tubeless just yet, figure I’ll wait until I have a crest on the rear as well.

on the crest you need to put the bead in the central groove, start from the valve and gather the slack in the tyre as you work your way round.

That’s more or less what I was doing. I’ll give it another go tomorrow. Maybe it’ll be easier with Stan’s tape rather than velox – its much thinner isn’t it? Surprising amount of faff to get a tyre on though, I miss my mavics now.

sidetracked
    Free Member

You know, I think the second bead was finding its way into the beadlock rather than sitting in the valley, that’ll be it. The first bead for the Cinder went on real easy, far easier than the Mud X. If only it wasn’t the start of Mud X season!

grievoustim
    Free Member

i have a new set of crests with mud xs fitted, running tubeless- no real issues for me (and this was my first go at tubless and I was expected a faff)

my tyres were already well used though – so not sure if that made a difference. Just using yellow tape and JRA sealant stuff

I fitted the tyres with a tube first for a few days

then took the tubes out, fitted the valves, rubbed neat washing up liquid round the beads, poured in some sealant and pumped like crazy with a track pump. One of them was loosing air for a while round the valve – but I rotated the wheel so the valve was at 12 oclock and the sealant seemed to find its way to where it needed to be.

Pinches advice for getting the tyres on in the first place sounds right

Conrad
    Free Member

Just a couple of further builds on people comments.

The Crest rim isn’t designed to be used with the rim strip, just the yellow tape as the Crest features latest version of the BST. Only meant to use Stans yellow tape, not cloth tape underneath.

If you are getting leakage around the valve stem, have you cleanly filed the tape around the hole (tape should not be pushed through the hole as this will cause leakage, and only tightened the value nut finger tight.

Been using Crests for about 5 months and much easier than 355’s before that. Never used a tire lever on either rims if you seat tire in the groove as people mentioned.

C.

sidetracked
    Free Member

I had another go with the Cinder – this time taking care to keep the bead in the groove – and it went on with ease. I feel confident the Mud Xs will go on next time. Its a bit disconcerting when the bead starts popping into the beadlock though 🙂

Conrad, re your comment about not using cloth tape. Does this apply even when using tubes?

Cheers everyone for the pointers.

grievoustim
    Free Member

if you are using tubes cloth tape is fine

you just don’t want it for tubeless – for that you want just the yellow tape

sidetracked
    Free Member

if you are using tubes cloth tape is fine

you just don’t want it for tubeless – for that you want just the yellow tape

Speaking of which, the notubes site say to use the 21mm or the 25mm tape with the Crest, surprisingly indecisive. Which did you use? I’m guessing the 21mm..

pinches
    Free Member

i’m using schwalbe rim tape at the moment, which is quite thin. The popping into the beadlock is quite loud! my C02 cartridges won’t quite get to high enough pressure to do it though 🙁

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Use the 25mm tape for choice, but if desperate then the 21mm will work.

Inzane
    Free Member

If you ever are having real problems getting a toight as a toight thing tyre onto a rim then apparently the trick is to slop a bunch of KY (or other similar personal lube probably) along the bead of the tyre/rim. Slips straight on into the groove after that 😉

sidetracked
    Free Member

lol, I’ll keep that in mind 😀

Conrad
    Free Member

I used the 25mm yellow tape – fitted perfectly when pulled tight when fitting.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Getting tyres onto crest rims, tips please!’ is closed to new replies.