Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Getting to that age and feel as though I need extras(vitamins) to keep me going!
  • postierich
    Free Member

46 and feeling it must admit my diet is not the best typical diet on a working day.
    6.30am cornflakes mug of tea
    9.30am Bacon buttie white(no sauce) large coffee)
    1pm Ham and cheese salad bun(brown) large coffee ans cake
    3pm mug of tea several biccys
    5.30 old school meals large portion(meat two
    veg)
    8pm onwards several cups of tea and chocs,biccys
    Being treated for a blockage/furred up artery in my right leg so taking aspirins and been prescribed satins but I,m not taking them due to the possible side effects.
    So i,m taking Chewable Vit C and Omega 3 tabs with the aspirin anything else I should be possibly considering?
    Cholestrol is normal and I,m bang on weight 12.5 st 5ft 11″ fairly full on day then I,m biking @ least 3 times a week just feeling everything hard work these days

Cougar

Take your medications, start eating properly (more variety, less lard).

If you need an incentive, my dad’s had to have bits of himself amputated due to circulatory problems and being a stubborn old goat who was insistent that problems will just go away.

mogrim

Take your medications, start eating properly.

This. Your doctor undoubtedly has a better idea about how to treat you than STW, and if he’s prescribed aspirins+statins I’d be taking them!

Cougar

Also,

I can understand not wanting to take medication due to side effects, but not because of a risk of side effects. Especially when not taking also has a risk of side effects, like, say, death.

Thinking about it, and this is no world of a lie or exaggeration; without statins and aspirin, I wouldn’t still have either parent.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

46 is not old– only in your head– do as the dr says–but long term a new diet/lifestyle might be more helpful…

footflaps

Being treated for a blockage/furred up artery in my right leg so taking aspirins and been prescribed satins but I,m not taking them due to the possible side effects.

What about the possible side affect of losing the leg?

psling
    Free Member

My prescription would be for a holiday in the sun Rich 8)

If the vitamins and oils make you feel good then fine but don’t convince yourself you’re dependent on them; as regards the pills, I bet a nurse would tell you doctor knows best.

zilog6128

start eating properly (more variety, less lard)

If you can find me evidence that unprocessed saturated fats cause arterial plaque buildup I would quite like to see it.

Lard (and beef dripping) are actually extremely healthy fats and I cook with them as much as possible. I think you’ll find it’s all the processed crap (chocs, biccies, low grade bread) that is the problem with OP’s diet.

Unfortunately we have had it drummed into us that fats in general and saturated ones in particular are bad for our health when in fact quite the opposite is true.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Not what you asked but your diet looks shite, meat and bread, meat, bread and cake, biscuits, meat, biscuits.

fasthaggis

What schrickvr6 said .

Changing your diet could make you feel better/give you more energy 🙂

maccruiskeen

Not what you asked but your diet looks shite, meat and bread, meat, bread and cake, biscuits, meat, biscuits.

mmmmmm. beige food.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I cycle a 40-miles-per-day commute.
    I eat massive amounts of carbohydrate and protein with a serious helping of daily veg. Also, pies. And biscuits.
    I drink coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk, beer, wine.
    I’m 61.

You’ve some catching-up to do.

Cougar

Simple change: Try switching the cornflakes for porridge. Don’t lace it with sugar. Should give you more sustained energy through the morning.

postierich
    Free Member

Diet is shite, I think because I exercise I can eat what i want, maybe was ok when I was younger but realising that its not the way to go. Will idave be able to help me?
    Forgot to add after most rides I drink beer and eat what ever I can get hold of, mid ride nourishmeant is usually a Mars drink, flap jack and jelly babies!
    The furred up artery is not to bad can ride all day its just when I put on the gas(sprinting) that my calf goes dead!!!
    Might be hard weaning me off biscuits!

maccruiskeen

and jelly babies!

i retract my beige statement 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

You wouldnt try to run a F1 car on chip fat…

postierich
    Free Member

big porridge fan with a sprinkling of salt but always in a rush in the morning!

Cougar

Takes three minutes to make porridge. It’ll take longer to make your mug of tea. (And if you sort your energy levels out, you might be able to get out of bed ten minutes earlier)

If you’ve got some food in your system early on, you probably won’t need that second breakfast. (Hobbit.)

jimification
    Free Member

Swap the white bacon buttie and omega 3 tablets for some mackerel on wholemeal toast. (Sainsbury’s, tinned, in spicy tomato sauce is lush)

3PM: banana and apple or orange. When you’ve done your fruit, THEN you may proceed to the biscuit tin.

rocket
    Free Member

Taking supplements on top of that diet and lifestyle is unlikely to help much, although things like cod liver oil / omegas etc apparently help. As others have said, I’d cut out or at least down the processed stuff first – white bread, biscuits, cakes and chocolate tend to lead to energy slumps and cravings (for me anyway) and I feel I have more balanced energy when I cut them out. Caffeine in the evening generally aint good as it can disturb your sleep. Try and get your vitamins and minerals through better, cleaner, less processed food. Oh, and maybe a bit of yoga in the morning to balance out the riding? Really can help with energy levels. All this in my opinion / experience – I’m no expert

Understand your nervousness about statins, but if there is a risk in not taking them (I have no idea about the artery issues and the potential risks) then I’d at least be giving them a go or looking for viable alternatives.

Ultimately if you have kids and want to be around and active for them as they grow older, you owe it to them to take care of yourself.

Again, all this is the non-scientific opinion of a random on a forum, nothing else 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Unfortunately we have had it drummed into us that fats in general and saturated ones in particular are bad for our health when in fact quite the opposite is true.

That’s why I now enjoy butter and whole milk 🙂

Will idave be able to help me?

Absolutely. You can’t eat any of the shite, you have nothing left but vegetables (and meat/fish of course). It seems weird, but after a while, you start to really taste them. They taste sweet, fresh, invogorating, beautiful… I imagine it’s a bit like tasting food after giving up fags.

And I used to be a vegophobic – properly so, actually afraid of the things. I got to the point where I could eat most of them grudgingly, but iDave made me enjoy them. It’s a wonderful world of.. not just taste, but response to food.

If you’ve got some food in your system early on, you probably won’t need that second breakfast.

I’d disagree. It’s the high GI food early on that sets your body off using up glycogen and blood sugar, making you more hungry and whatnot.

zilog6128

although things like cod liver oil / omegas etc apparently help

Cod liver oil is immensely helpful because it is all omega 3. Although o6 is also an essential fatty acid most people eat far, far too much of it because it is in virtually all processed foods as well as low-grade oils like sunflower, vegetable, etc. It is important that the ratio between the two is fairly balanced so you can either eat a lot of o3 foods or eat less o6 foods (or ideally both).

I’d disagree. It’s the high GI food early on that sets your body off using up glycogen and blood sugar, making you more hungry and whatnot.

Yeah, I either skip breakfast entirely or (rarely) have a high protein/high fat brekkie (e.g. bacon & eggs). Either way I’m not normally hungry until 1ish and even then I’m never “starving”.

_tom_
    Free Member

Maybe try a keto diet. I’ve not had any carbs all week so far and whilst yesterday was awful, today I feel really fresh and not at all sluggish 🙂 Long may it continue (hopefully)! Oh and my road bike average speed yesterday was the best I’ve had in ages.

postierich
    Free Member

I eat fruit just did not mention it the the food I cook is always fresh nowt processed except for fish fingers/soup,plenty of veg going on I eat none stop because of the job(really).
    Will try this week for a no cake biscuit diet and try and stop the bacon butty got to have one on saturday as its the law!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I guess thats you told. 😉

I concur, vitamins and mineral supplements are a big con, eat properly and you dont need them.

rocketman
    Free Member

my diet is not the best typical diet on a working day.
    6.30am cornflakes mug of tea
    9.30am Bacon buttie white(no sauce) large coffee)
    1pm Ham and cheese salad bun(brown) large coffee ans cake
    3pm mug of tea several biccys
    5.30 old school meals large portion(meat two
    veg)
    8pm onwards several cups of tea and chocs,biccys

Epic diet fail there fella

No need for vitamins try replacing most of your meals with this sort of thing:
    •30g porridge + 200g semi skimmed milk + 20 raisins + dessertspoon of chopped hazelnuts
    •30g muesli + milk to taste
    •2 slices of wholegrain bread + thinly spread butter + 10og can of tinned salmon + sliced cucumber.
    •Medium sized baked potato + knob of butter + 100g tuna + green side salad.
    •300g chicken soup (preferably home made) + wholegrain roll

go medieval on butter beans chickpeas cous cous eat as much as you want

Good luck

molgrips
    Free Member

Either way I’m not normally hungry until 1ish and even then I’m never “starving”.

I used to clock watch until 12pm starving hungry desperate for food.

Now I sometimes forget all about lunch until three or four!

And to the OP – fruit is not worth much. Most of it’s not that nutritious. Most veg are better, but I reckon legumes, onions and brassica are the best. Brassica being broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts etc.

postierich
    Free Member

seriously guys some of your suggested foods do not really float my boat tinned salmon and cucumber 😯 I live in the North!!! and do not look as they we do much for my energy levels I am on the go for 7 hours walking climbing steps carrying weight.

Vitamins are a strangley a £1 for 70 tabs in Poundland btw so no big monetery layout!

Moses

Furred up artery in leg = furred up artery in heart.
    Statins are likely to do more good than harm, otherwise they wouldn’t be prescribed. Not taking them with a furred up heart = death.

DEATH, or multiple operations & living crippled.
    Take the bloody drugs, man.

Then also change your diet as above, you will not regret it.

EDIT: Rich,

your suggested foods do not really float

Not now, but they might float your red blood cells, & that’s what matters. You just need to get used to them, living in the North or not.

PS – Sorry to hear about your condition.

zilog6128

seriously guys some of your suggested foods do not really float my boat tinned salmon and cucumber I live in the North!!! and do not look as they we do much for my energy levels

No, you are right they will do F all for your energy levels! I live mostly off meat/fish and lots of healthy, unprocessed fats. Very little sugar or starchy foods. Lots of veg but only for the vitamins.

Also if you are going to do vitamins (agree that it is not strictly required if you’re eating a decent, varied diet) there is a MASSIVE difference between in quality between decent brands and own brands i.e. Boots/supermarkets/Poundland. I would not touch the cheaper ones.

Statins are likely to do more good than harm, otherwise they wouldn’t be prescribed.

Purely speculative on my part but it could be that they are prescribed because a doctor considers it more likely you’ll pop a few pills and less likely you’ll take action to address the actual cause of the problem (i.e. diet/lifestyle) which is surely the top solution in the long run.

Cougar

How is there a difference in quality? Either they contain what they say or they don’t, no?

(Genuine question, is there more to this?)

Moses

Nope, there is no difference in quality. The raw vitamins (chemicals, to those of us in the trade) come from the same manufacturers.

woody2000

Having just watched my Dad have a pretty major op to de-fuzz one of his leg arteries (which happily was very successful), I’d say make the changes now whilst you have the choice. Do as the doc suggests, take your meds and give your diet a once over – make some small changes, you don’t need to do it all at once.

Do it – NOW 😀

jamj1974

I cycle a 40-miles-per-day commute.
    I eat massive amounts of carbohydrate and protein with a serious helping of daily veg. Also, pies. And biscuits.
    I drink coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk, beer, wine.
    I’m 61.

Seriously you are my hero. If I am doing that in 23 years I will be well pleased!

OP. Try buying a juicer to add more fresh fruit and veg to your diet in a tasty way. Add some vitamins and minerals to your diet in a more natural way.

Also – from the thread the other day we may have been experiencing Snobs at the same time!

molgrips
    Free Member

seriously guys some of your suggested foods do not really float my boat tinned salmon and cucumber

You don’t have to eat exactly those things, they are just suggestions.

Do your body a favour, or face the dire consequences.

Substitute junk food in the above posts for cigarettes, and see how ridiculous you sound trying to defend it. There is no quick fix, just eat properly.

Or if you’d rather another analogy – if you ran your car on nitro you’d not be at all surprised if it blew up in a few thousand miles. So why be surprised if your body fails when you feed it on shite?

and do not look as they we do much for my energy levels I am on the go for 7 hours walking climbing steps carrying weight

You’d be surprised. Have you not read any of the iDiet threads?

If you eat sugar or simple carbs, your body switches to using that as an energy source, so you use it all up and then get hungry for more.

If you don’t, you can go a lot longer and do a lot more on fat.

leffeboy

I cycle a 40-miles-per-day commute..
    I’m 61.

Is in awe of the woppit

zilog6128

How is there a difference in quality? Either they contain what they say or they don’t, no?

(Genuine question, is there more to this?)As I understand the same vitamins/minerals come can come in different forms which can massively affect their bioavailability (how much they can be absorbed/used by the body).

e.g. cheaper supplements contain Magnesium oxide which has very limited bioavailability whereas more expensive supplements contain a chelated Magnesium such as Magnesium Citrate which has much higher bioavailability http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

Moses

Yeah, but you’re talking about a mineral, not a vitamin (which was what you said originally).
    Mg citrate will be the same in cheap & expensive supplements. Just read the tin.
    And magnesium’s not exactly scarce in our diets, is it? Apart from for sheep in wet springtimes.

zilog6128

Sorry, by vitamins I meant vitamins & minerals as well (i.e. everything in a multivitamin pill). The point is though Mg citrate isn’t in cheap supplements – they have the less bioavailable Mg oxide. I was under the impression that magnesium deficiency was reasonably common?

And yes, you could make the point that nothing that’s in the supplements is scarce in our diets if you eat properly. I did also make that point and said supplements are optional. I would agree that it’s better to get everything through diet if possible. IMO though if you are going to take them you are better off taking something that is actually going to have an effect.

FWIW though aren’t there different forms of Vit C which differ in bioavailability?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

read what you eat, good grief, i’m 46 and i have to virtually eat nothing to get to and keerp around 12 1/2 st. if i ate what you do i would be upwards of well 16st easily.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Getting to that age and feel as though I need extras(vitamins) to keep me going!’ is closed to new replies.