Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Getting something heavy (45kg) delivered – best options?
  • nickb

I’m trying to see if I can get a car-part (about 45kg) delivered from Manchester to London. All the standard parcel carriers seem to stop at 30kg, and pallets are looking expensive (and probably overkill).

Does anyone know of any other options? I seem to recall someone telling me of an ad-hoc/independent van delivery network – not quick, but relatively cheap and I’m not in a rush.

Cheers
    Nick

globalti
    Free Member

There are hundreds of transport companies with thousands of almost empty trucks and vans bombing around the country. Just look for road haulage companies. Paisley Freight are pretty good.

daviek

have you tried putting the details into parcel monkey?

hooli

shiply.com is one option, create a job and let couriers bid for it. Give it 48 hours to get all the quotes in.

When I have used them in the past, it has been cheaper than me driving up and collecting the item myself, never-mind taking time off work.

scruff9252

45kg is quite heavy for a solo lift, you might have to put it on a pallet.

You may find that a solo delivery driver wouldn’t be allowed to lift that due to H&S regulations; I’m fairly certain my companies H&S team would have kittens if you were to have a go lifting & shifting that weight alone.

the-muffin-man

TNT regularly ship stuff of that weight for us (and not on pallets, just boxed).

typer
    Free Member

I used Shiply to transport 50kg of Scuba diving gear from Sunderland to the highlands. Cost me £125, all I did was put the details into Shiply and let the quotes come in and passed the costs onto the buyer.

slowbloke
    Free Member

Paisley Freight seem to be highly recommended. I’ve not used them myself though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you need to deliver it about 300 meters or maybe a little more

otherwise use shiply.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If you’ve got a reasonably economical car and a day free it’ll probably be best and cheaper to pick it up yourself, saves on potential damage and having to wait around anyway for the delivery person to turn up.

spooky_b329

Shiply can be good, and as they are one man band type outfits, they are unlikely to turn down a package as its a couple of kg heavier than expected, as they’ve invested their own time and money to collect the item. They’ll also accept help to load and unload the item. I got a really heavy suspended van seat from Germany for half the price of the couriers…the sender was to help with loading, and I helped at my end.

I’ve also used Paisley Freight for wheels, they can be good value.

Daffy

Paisley freight will do a pallet for £60.

CountZero

If you’ve got a reasonably economical car and a day free it’ll probably be best and cheaper to pick it up yourself, saves on potential damage and having to wait around anyway for the delivery person to turn up

Like to suggest how one person could get a 45kg object into the boot of an average car, then out at the other end?
    Bloody certain I could never, ever lift that, and not over the lip on my Octavia’s boot, and absolutely not out again!
    That’s 92lb!

singletrackmind

I lift that ( well more, 51kg ) every day , often in and out of cars and vans.
    Its ok as long as you are careful and use you noggin.

As for moving 45kg, Shipley ,or Palletline economy part pallet rate.
    If it will go onto a Euro pallet and is only 50cm high it should be £35 for a 3 day service , give or take.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Like to suggest how one person could get a 45kg object into the boot of an average car, then out at the other end?
    Bloody certain I could never, ever lift that, and not over the lip on my Octavia’s boot, and absolutely not out again!
    That’s 92lb!

Err that’s not that heavy. I just hung a 40kg radiator which involved taking it on and off the wall a few times (complex brackets) and it wasn’t an issue.
    Just plan your route, take a small dolly/trolley with you if it needs to be moved any distance (avoids need to walk with it).

tekp2
    Free Member

Shiply.

I sent 2 car batteries over 50kg each back to seller. No bother.

thomthumb
    Free Member

1/4 pallet 0.6 m high. should be about £60

shermer75
    Free Member

I sent 2 car batteries over 50kg each back to seller. No bother.

50kg is a pretty massive battery!

integerspin
    Free Member

I sent a 45kg phase converter to someone, DHL never used to check the weights. The
    skinny old driver who used to collect from me did comment it was a bit heavy when he struggled to put it in the van;-) These days they check the weights.

I sent old servers that weighed around 40kg all over the place, uk and abroad.
    I used the big green parcel machine, are they still going. Just had a look and http://www.tuffnells.co.uk is still online. They never answered emails for a price quote, but I used to call in to a depot as I am reasonable close to one.

redmex
    Free Member

45 kg heavy ? A few years back a bag of cement was 50kg, ok its a wee bit heavy, careful using the leg muscles shouldnt be a problem. Maybe in years to come 20 kg max, little wonder so many youngsters with pirates treasure

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Getting something heavy (45kg) delivered – best options?’ is closed to new replies.