Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Getting routes onto Garmin 1000
  • alp_girl
    Free Member

I’m slightly confused about how the maps work on the Garmin 1000… maybe someone can help 🙂

I understand it comes with the “Open Street” maps preloaded – I assume these are openstreetmap.org maps?

Would I then have to plot off road routes on that openstreetmap website and transfer them to the Garmin? Or could I still use Tracklogs (providing they support the Garmin 1000) and then follow them on the Open Street maps on the device?

Aaargh, I’m years and years behind current map technology… help please….

Flaperon

Nope, it’s like any other Garmin. Will put long post up later, heading out now – but with a downloaded route from RideWithGPS, so it can be done!

jonba
    Free Member

I have an 800 so not quite the same but use the open street maps when I go abroad (majorca, Italy).

The map shouldn’t make a difference. I plotted my routes on bikehike which is a mixture of OS and google maps. Whatever site you are suing will give you a file .gpx .tcx or something similar. It is just a collection of dots joined by lines, it doesn’t contain any map info.

Someone will correct me later. The easiest thing to do might be to plot a 5k loop from your door and go try it out?

This site has lots of garmin info if you search.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

alp_girl
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the replies – should have thought a route just consists of waypoints and doesn’t carry the “map design” with it, d’oh… the rainmaker site looks like I could spend a few hours reading stuff on there, good recommendation 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Getting routes onto Garmin 1000’ is closed to new replies.