Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Getting rid of a bicycle you love…
  • Joe

You are about to leave the UK indefinitely to live somewhere hot and dusty, where a 26 inch MTB is going to be of limited use compared to your 29 mtb/tourer thing (you can only take one BIKE with you).

Your bike is a well loved Rocky Mountain Blizzard which has been your loyal servant. It has a very expensive set of wheels on and suspension fork.

Do you sell or do you keep it languishing in your mothers garage? You are short of cash.

Discuss

letmetalktomark

Brake down & clean bike properly, degrease, then partially reassemble after regreasing etc.

Remove tyres from rims.

Get a bike box from halfords, carefully pack bike, seal box and leave somewhere dry preferably raised in the air a little.

Old friends should not be sold on a whim. In years to come you will unpack bike and be reunited with an old friend again.

There.

My 0.02$

🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

I used to have a Rocky Mountain Hammer. When I got totally skint I let it go, my then-GF took it off me and helped me out of my financial worries. The idea was I’d give her money back so the bike would return to me. It never happened, I let her keep the bike when we split up. Although several years have passed since then I still want the bike back. I shouldn’t have left it behind.
    I also had a Trek Y3 which I loved. For some stupid reason I gave it to somebody. Another bike to buy back one day.
    I was fancying a change of bike so I sold my Kona A. I took 3 times more than it cost me so, at least in theory, it was a good deal. I wish I hadn’t.
    When I ran out of space I shifted a Marin to my parents’. Lovely bike, even better the decision.
    Keep the bike, unless you’re going to be hungry.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

+1 ^^^^^ (the one above)

Joe

hmmm…maybe I’ll keep the frame and flog the rest then.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Keep the wheels too, in a couple of years time you’ll bankrupt yourself buying a similar set.
    BTW If you need somebody to ride your girl while you’re away (and she’s 17.5″) I’ll be your man 🙂

Northwind

The frame is the soul of the bike, and it sounds like a lot of the value’s in bolt-ons for this one so that seems straightforward enough, sell wheels and fork, keep frame. I felt terrible letting my Soul go but it was time… But then it had a lot of value tied up in the frame.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Keep it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Keep the bike, unless you’re going to be hungry.

+10

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Keep it

ton

ignore all this sentimental tosh……………
    a bike is just a pile of tubes and some rubber.
    sell it and buy something new when you come back……. 😀

PiknMix
    Free Member

sell it and buy some new memories when the time arises.

someone else deserves a chance to own it 😉

simondbarnes

Sell it, it’s just a bike.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i sold a lemond i loved because needed the cash recently bought a ti version as a replacement, sell it-there will be another blizzard in your future if you miss it that much

Kuco

If you’re not going to use it why keep it? Sell it and use the cash to buy something useful.

coogan
    Free Member

Flog it.

corroded
    Free Member

As the owner of a well-loved Blizzard, I say keep it! Sell the wheels (what are they?…) but you’ll regret losing such a bike. Especially as they don’t bring them into the UK any more.

Waderider
    Free Member

I have never sold a bike, I have a succession of mountain bikes going back to the birth of the sport (in this country).

I live in a small flat and am often the minister of poverty.

There is no debate here, don’t be a fool. If you build a bike properly, and evolve it in your ownership, it cannot be sold on. It is as much you as an arm or a leg.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Getting rid of a bicycle you love…’ is closed to new replies.