Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • getting over a good drink?
  • ton

went out for a day on the beer yesterday, with some old friends. i was only drinking pale beer, 3.6 abv type stuff, and a couple of malts late on.
    i have felt like death all day long.
    even the magical pint of milk and some cold buttered toast has not brought me round.

is it a sign of getting old? i never used to suffer like this after beer.

bearnecessities

I can’t manage more than 4 hours on the beers, let alone a day!

Edit: Less likely to be age (you’re not shy of a pint now, are you 😉 ) – probably more to do with your food/hydration levels before & during – it’s too late after.

I went out with gofasterstripes the other day, had (I think) 5 pints and two glasses of wine & was in bed by 12 as I had work next day.

At 7am, after showering and getting ready, I decided to take day off – I was still pissed!

badnewz
    Free Member

I had 9 pints in London on Friday and a 10 pack of Cafe Creme cigars…it takes me 2 days to fully recover now whereas 10 years ago it would have taken 2 hours.
    Time, she waits for no man.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lightweight!
    Berocca is your friend!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I had to stop drinking (only 32!), the hangovers just got too much! It was my brothers wedding last Saturday, I was still too ill to ride into work on Monday and I still felt a tad fragile on the Tuesday morning one… I did tend to kick the arse out of it though!

Harry_the_Spider

Getting old, chief. I get ratted once or twice a year and am reminded in the morning why.

jimjam
    Free Member

A big dump. A bit of rumpy pumpy (or do it manually) and a shower. Not necessarily in that order. If that doesn’t fix it, something’s broken.

Harry_the_Spider

A big dump. A bit of rumpy pumpy (or do it manually) and a shower.

All at the same time? That’s not niche, that’s Expensive Japanese Knocking Shop Niche.

Spin
    Free Member
    badnewz
    Free Member

It’s age, no two ways about it. Hangovers last longer when your metabolism starts to slow down, mid-30s for most men.

allthepies
    Free Member

Had 5 pints this afternoon.

Feel OK so far, will report back later 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

Feel OK so far, will report back later

Surely the night is still young?

Cougar

Get some liquid in you, that’s all a hangover is. Do I really need to lecture a cycling forum on how to hydrate? Dig out the SiS and a large amount of water.

I’m 43. I sank a frankly heroic amount last night, and I was a bit wooly about the corners this morning. I get worse hangovers from having literally -a- beer.

badnewz
    Free Member

I get worse hangovers from having literally -a- beer.

That’s either the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard all week or you are some kind of scientific miracle.

Cougar

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

I’ll take with a pinch of salt (good for electrolytes) any media report based on “a study” without citing sources.

Cougar

That’s either the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard all week or you are some kind of scientific miracle.

In a study Anecdotally, I’ve felt bloody rotten after sinking a pint the night before. YMMV.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar
    I get worse hangovers from having literally -a- beer.

badnewz

I’m exactly the same, although my number is two. Two beers and I tend to feel pretty rotten the next day. Many many and I don’t really notice.

bearnecessities

You get a hangover from a poo?

Harsh.

Edit: Ah, you swine, you edited. Now I look silly, again.

piemonster

I went out with gofasterstripes the other day, had (I think) 5 pints and two glasses of wine & was in bed by 12

Ahhh, the old get ’em drunk and in the mood and too drunk to care trick eh?

wilburt
    Free Member

Its not just dehydration your poisoned, it’ll take a while to recover or youcan just drink more but that tends to end badly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Start the day with a Bloody Mary.

Problem solved.

jimmy

Aye a wee hair of the dog to square you up works wonders. That, a pint of water too, a paracetamol and a post lunch kip.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is my honour being called into question here?

Bear, can you remember what happened? I woke up with a road cone and a part of an Ash poster from the closed club in town !

stevedoc
    Free Member

Used to drink like a fish up to 30 year old, now after 5 pints it can floor me and take a good 24 hours to sort myself out , but a couple of bottles of red or 6 pints of Mojitos or Long island ice tea and I’m sound as a pound . I’m guessing the chemicals that go into larger these days just f*** you up more , either that or I just like tarts drinks

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Gave up the booze, the world is a much better place.

BigDummy
    Free Member

a day on the beer

In all seriousness, how many beers are there in a day?

I’m 37. 3 is slightly too many, 6 is appalling. My tolerance has halved in about 15 years, so various reasons…

🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I haven’t had a drink since last Sunday night due to 7 nightshifts on the trot & I feel like shit. Dunno whether it’s the lack of sleep or the lack of booze & I don’t know whether to stay off it tonight or get pissed!

singletrackmind

I do like a drink

I really do not like the extended hangovers . Watched a documentary on alcohol last month which was good. Basically our bodies do weird things with alcohol. They release bacteria from the gut into the bloodstream to purge the alcohol, which the body sees as an infection and has to fight

I try to take an Remmy ant- acid tablet as beer is fairly acidic at 3.9 – 4.0ph , and 5 or 6 pints is afair volume. Then 1000mg VitC in a 750ml drink bottle with a couple of paracetomol.

Started drinking very long G and T’s ( pint / large gin ice, lemon , lime ) makes a nice drink with a lesser after effect

BillMC

Where I live it’s an early doors culture, 4 till 8 or 9 then bed. A long sleep makes a big difference as does a shot of SIS in your pint of water with 3 effervescent Vit C tablets with zinc. All gone!

steveoath
    Free Member

Last hangover I had was after about 6 points and lasted 3 days. **** that. Is rather not drink..til next time anyway =-O

P-Jay
    Free Member

It was in the news recently that the only ‘cure’ for hangovers is to drink less.

I didn’t get one until I was 25, I could roll in at 4am after being out since 8pm pass-out for 4 hours and be up and ready to face the world, now I’d need a week in ITU to get over that.

Age plays a part, but I reckon input is a big part of it, I could be shit-faced on a couple of cans of Carling when I was 16, I’d tell the world I drank 12, but if I bothered to count I’d know I’d bought 6, threw one in a bush when a police car drove past, finished 2/3rds of 4 and hid 1 under my bed when I got home.

I reckon 25 was when my input actually matched my boasts and that’s where it went wrong, my input has declined ever since to the point now I drink once or twice a month and only in tiny amounts then. I’m pissed on 3 pints, but can still emerge the next morning ready to face the day. I much prefer that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member
    a day on the beer
    In all seriousness, how many beers are there in a day?

I’m 37. 3 is slightly too many, 6 is appalling. My tolerance has halved in about 15 years, so various reasons…

I think it ranges from 2 to 22! 😆

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘getting over a good drink?’ is closed to new replies.