• This topic has 44 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Getting my 7 year old lad to do maths
  • tall_martin

My parents played mahjong with me and my sister.(and rummy, monopoly, mine a million and numerous other board games played as a family).

We thought mahjong was a fun game with enough chance to beat my ( bridge obsessed) dad.

My mum said the other day it was a way to get us to practice maths.

Learning by stealth 🙂

steve-g
    Free Member

Mini-g version 1.0 quite enjoys the app “Maths with Zombies”, stop the approaching zombies from killing and eating you by solving the equations on their chests. My mum with decades of experience working in education didn’t think it would ever make the official curriculum but what does she know.

Also, money, money is the key. When they have cold hard cash and are attempting to work out what permutations of items they could afford, all of a sudden kids are very keen to learn some “tricks” for working that out

cbike
    Free Member

Don’t force it too much

I think that put me off big style. everyone wanted me to do mental arithmetic and it never came as easily as everyone else. Public humilation in classroom number games. They should have dispensed with that and just let me have a fing calculator and taught me the maths bit…I never got to do it. We also learned from cards with minimal teaching.

Never really got beyond p3 level even in secondary school.

CountZero

I’ve always struggled with anything to do with maths, it’s not that I’m not interested, I have a sort of numeric dyslexia which means I just get confused.
    Reading, on the other hand, has never been an issue; I was reading at around three or four, and my word comprehension was well in advance of most of my class at age five.
    Some people get it, some don’t, there’s no point in trying to force things, it just leads to frustration.

ctk
    Free Member

Dart Board for adding or subtracting. Multiplication shouldn’t be too hard to work into a game either. ( maybe play with 2 darts and multiply rather than add?)

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Getting my 7 year old lad to do maths’ is closed to new replies.