Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Getting more emotional as you get older
  • sandwicheater

Watched Marley & me on the weekend and had me in bits at the end. When I gave my soppy-niss some thought I realised it’s happening more and more. Start to well up over the soppiest of crap like weddings, adorable things my son does, you now the sort of thing.

Can’t understand it. Is it an age thing or am I broken? I used to be dead on the inside and I miss it.

crispy
    Free Member

Ahh, I see you have a child.

It’s either sleep deprivation or some sort of internal sop-switch that gets tweaked when the little blighters come into your life…

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, started since I had the offspring.

Got a bit emotional watching Human Planet FFS.

wwaswas

I’m bloody hopeless. Can’t even watch Toy Story 3 without welling up.

My children often have me on the edge of tears, although not in a good way.

binners

It’s bloody kids. I always had a stone heart, impermeable to human emotion, and utterly devoid of empathy.

Since my daughters arrived I can’t even look at a picture of a kitten without ending up like a Gwyneth Paltrow acceptance speech

yunki
    Free Member

I’m t’other way around.. (I blame the 90s)

I used to be right in touch with my feelings and all that, I was rightly proud of it too, it used to get me into trysts with all sorts of beautiful and beguiling wimmins that would have been well off the menu for your average ‘bloke’

Since having my wee chavvies though, I’ve had to harden up a bit or face drowning in an ocean of unfettered emotion

DezB
    Free Member

It’s bloody kids. I always had a stone heart, impermeable to human emotion, and utterly devoid of empathy.

Ah, this truth.

Took my kid to Nitro Circus and to see the joy on his face had me wiping my eyes. Most of the time he’s a grump like me, so to see him experien (sorry.. can’t .. finish

jonahtonto
    Free Member

looking after children naturally lowers your testosterone levels. so yeah, your turning into a girl 😆

kimbers

Its this kids business, since I became a dad Im a huge great softie

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yep, box ticked, the eldest is nearing the point of leaving for Uni in a year’s time, thinking of the house without him in it breaks me every time.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, same here – since having kids.

surfer
    Free Member

My daughter is 17 and I heard “shes leaving home” by the Beatles over the weekend and started to fill up 😳

:edit. echo Rogerthecat

chico66
    Free Member

Yep, something to do with having kids

Although my wife never misses an opportunity to rib me about drying my eyes at the end of ET when we went to see it at the cinema all those years ago! 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yep, was hard watching Children in Need, since having my first kid earlier this year.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Yep. Was a big girls blouse before kids but I’m completely hopeless now. Watching my little boy getting really excited on bonfire night had me welling up for goodness sake. 🙄

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wot binners said ^.
    Three bloody girls and I’m in bits every time I watch something that involves someone leaving their kids. The end of Meet Joe Black does it every time (about 7 so far) 😳
    I even had a tear in my eye the other day watching my 13yo rowing in an 8 for gods sake!

slowclimb
    Free Member

Its not just me then…glad to hear that 🙂
    dooosuk – you’re hardcore, I dont even turn the tv on for Children in Need, I change channel when the dogs trust advert comes on…

scotroutes

For me, it wasn’t having a child, it was losing my parents. That seems to have flipped some sort of emotional response switch inside me and I often get teary at the most insignificant thing.

globalti
    Free Member

Mother Nature re-wires your brain in a subtle way when you become a parent. Suddenly that squawking kid behind you on the ‘plane is no longer an irritation and you feel sorry and want to know what’s wrong.

oldgit
    Free Member

To quote an ex workmate ‘then the daughter came in and I swelled up’ 😯

JCL
    Free Member

Proof that kids turn you into a pathetic simpleton. Not really a lot to get emotional about in this world but a ton to get really bloody angry about!

hora
    Free Member

Let your emotions out OP. Its like a pressure valve. I cry with happiness everytime I watch Amelie. 😀

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Derek. I think every week that programme was on it started getting a bit dusty in the living room, Until the last episode, the manky bloke said something about kindness and that was me a blubbering mess

Rockape63
    Free Member

My Dad used to well up at the most ridiculous things on telly. I remember him walking into the room halfway through Dallas and a soppy bit started and the next thing he’s drying his eyes,,,,unbelievable!

Unfortunately I have inherited some of it and get emotional watch my kids in school plays etc and parts of The Sound of Music get me every time!

yunki
    Free Member

The end of Meet Joe Black does it every time (about 7 so far)

that bit where he gets hit by the traffic has me crying with laughter.. (about a gazillion so far)

neilnevill
    Free Member

Age does it for me, I’m getting very soppy. Started years ago with the end of titanic. Now loads gets me blubbing.

oldnick

I used to be comfortably numb but since a head injury a few years back I now weep like an open sore.

theotherjonv

Yep, me too. When the father comes back in Nanny McPhee, I’m like a broken tap. It’s kids, I’m sure of it.

I got dragged along to see ‘About Time’ at the weekend at a special screening* which was nice. Normally i think Richard Curtis should be absolutely worshipped for Black adder and then punched for everything else he’s done, but this had me leaking too, especially as my Dad’s battling the last stages of (hopefully a successful) cancer treatment just now.

Yet at the funeral of a friend earlier this year, of course it was a sad occasion and I felt genuine sadness but not a hint that I was likely to cry.

* intro by Richard C, few members of the cast there plus a few other guests. You’ll hate me for this but 2 seats along was Miranda H, and she seemed a nice friendly person who i didn’t want to kill in the slightest, which I know will be a let down to many of you.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yet at the funeral of a friend earlier this year, of course it was a sad occasion and I felt genuine sadness but not a hint that I was likely to cry.

Yeah I understand that, I’ve ever been one to cry at funerals as they had all been for people who had all lived pretty good and long lives. However, one of my best friends wife died a couple of years ago in her early forties after putting up one hell of a fight against breast cancer. I was fine until my mates eulogy which was heart rending, and then when their eldest daughter stood up and delivered a flawless reading I was in bits.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Getting more emotional as you get older’ is closed to new replies.