Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Getting into teaching Advice please
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’m trying to help my 16 year old daughter as much as possible.
    Obviously she is going through all the channels available to her, but I thought I’d ask on here as I know many of you are involved in teaching.

In particular I’m interested if there is a way into Primary school teaching going the college route or part time position and college?

She did work in a local primary school for ‘work experience’ and that ties in with her childcare studies. I’d be interested to know if college childcare studies would be of any use.
    She will be taking 11 GCSE’s and is on target for all B’s.

Anything you could let me know would be greatly appriciated.

surfer
    Free Member

Oldgit

Until somebody comes along who can be of real help I will bump it up to the top.

My understanding is you need a Degree with a PGCE, many Degree course combine these 2 over 4 years I understand. As long as the 11 GCSE’s include Maths and English above at least a C then this is the traditional route.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

The only way into teaching is via a degree and a PGCE, or a combined course.
    She can become a Teaching assistant, they’ll take you on at Level 2 without the Qualification, you then have two years to get the NVQ level2 which the schools pays for. From there it’s Level 3, Level4 and in some cases the school will sponser you to do your teaching degree part time, which will take approx 8 years.
    Have a look here http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/becomingateacher.aspx for more info.

Bozza
    Free Member

Degree then PGCE and a lot of debt. Which at teacher pay makes you think is it worth it?

My missus is also a TEFL teacher, which is far more rewarding and not a red tape mine field.

Tell her to be prepared for rude children and parents who expect everything without taking any responsibilty on themselves to improve the kids education.

Dont ask about the amount of unpaid hours that are put in every evening….enjoy!

IHN

Which at teacher pay makes you think is it worth it?

Teacher pay is really quite good these days

oldgit
    Free Member

Thanks so far.
    I know she did work experience within a school but prior to that she had been keen to have a career in ‘textiles’ and therefore took the three sciences as well as art and design.
    Must be nice to know exactly what you want to do at a young age and focus on it.

Bozza
    Free Member

For the hours put in, the pay is pants.

oldgit53
    Free Member

Do not do it. Encourage her to in for the Olympics, only 5 hoops to jump through. Hours are rubbish, pay rubbish if she is going to get those qualifications and then theirs parents and “OFSTED”.

Please encourage her to reconsider.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s not a career you’d do for the money. For that, try banking.

It is, however, one of the most valuable and spiritually rewarding jobs in society. And I don’t know any poor teachers, actually; most of them seem to do ok. And get the most holidays!

I teach an adult evening class. One of my students has just got a job working with toddlers, as a teaching assistant. It’s fantastic, to be part of such a nurturing profession.

I know I’ll never get rich teaching. S’all right. not bothered, I’d rather be enjoying life doing something I know benefits others, that they gain something positive from.

Those who can, teach.

kevonakona
    Free Member

SHe can do a BEd straight out of school for primary teaching, or i believe a B.Ed for secondary but only in England. In SCotland B.Ed for primary or PGDE and secondary it’s PGDE all the way apart from P.E. teachers who can B.Ed it

kevonakona
    Free Member

Bets finding a www-sit efor a teacher training place near you and finding out the several ways into it.

miketually
    Free Member

I was a primary school teacher and now teach in a sixth form.

GCSEs: She’ll need maths, English and science. Without these, she won’t get onto a teaching degree, so she’ll need to resit them alongside A levels if needed.

Her next step in life is to choose A levels.

I always advise people to pick A levels that they’re interested in and enjoy, rather than ones for a specific career. They shouldn’t choose A level English just because they need it to be a journalist if they hate English, for example.

However, if a student does want to go into a specific career, it’s worth checking out the requirements to make sure they don’t make the wrong choices. To get into primary teaching you need at least one A level (though it could be two) in a national curriculum subject. If she chooses law, sociology and psychology A levels, she’ll not get on a teaching degree course.

Bear in mind, however, that she’ll very likely change her mind about what she wants to do over the next few years, so keeping options open is important. I think I wanted to be a journalist in Y11, an engineer in Y12 and changed to primary teaching while resitting my A levels.

After A levels, I’d advise doing a degree in a national curriculum subject, then a PGCE. There are degree courses that will get you straight into primary teaching after three years (which is what I did) but you might find that you hate teaching (which is what I did) and a ‘normal’ degree will make it easier to change direction. I knew that I didn’t want to teach while still doing my degree, but was stuck on that path by that point…

I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.

Longarmedmonkey

Agree with Mike, Get a degree in something your are interested in (but relevant) then top it up with a PGCE. That’s what I did. Sister in law did it the other way round and did not seem half as interesting, but still got her there. Good luck

surfer
    Free Member

Do not do it. Encourage her to in for the Olympics, only 5 hoops to jump through. Hours are rubbish, pay rubbish if she is going to get those qualifications and then theirs parents and “OFSTED”.

The hours appear pretty good to me. I live within a 200yds of a school and when I work from home, like today they start a considerably later than me and other than the head teacher who I suspect is quite well paid? the others left before some of the parents had driven away with their offsprings.
    As we all know the holidays are fantastic.
    Many careers have regulatory bodies, auditors internal and external scrutiny etc.
    Are you trying to keep all the good stuff for yourself?

theotherjonv

slightly odd question but this is on my ‘what if’ radar too. ie: what if I got made redundant as a result of this monumental f88k up that we’re all going through, what would I do next. Bear in mind with 15 years service I’d get a reasonable payoff , so the salary isn’t the major consideration. Before deciding on a career in industry, teaching was an option then and it’s never totally gone away.

I’m a degree level chemist with (total) 19 years in industry. My A levels are in Physics, Chem, Maths and German (and general studies if you must) If i wanted to teach science/maths, apart from rebrushing up on the subjects what would I need do? The same 1 yr PGCE or can i go into teaching in some way and get that qualification ‘on the job’? What about if I wanted to go into Primary Education?

headfirst
    Free Member

oldgit:
    If she could increase her experience in a primary school, perhaps by helping out on a part-time basis ( many sixth forms have wednesday afternoons off for such purposes along with sports commitments)then this would serve two purposes: give her a more informed viewpoint on whether this is the really the career for her, and show uni admissions tutors that she’s keen and its not a ‘last minute’ career choice. Many schools have teaching assistants ‘serving time’ before they apply for a PGCE, who having done a degree course then realised teaching is for them. She could get a jump on this and primary schools are very unlikely to turn away a helping hand.

unsponsored
    Free Member

theotherjonv –

You could do the PGCE route or if you still need to earn the Graduate Teacher programme may be better for you. I have been heavily involved in assessing GTP students over the last few years (both primary and secondary). Science is still on the shortage list. Applications for the GTP is usually around the Nov/Dec time with a start in the following September. For secondary you need GCSE English & Maths at a grade C or above. For primary you need to add Science to that list.

The TDA website is the place to find out more. http://www.tda.gov.uk

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surfer – the teachers I know do around a 60+ hr week. what you are not seeing is the work done at home – marking preparation.

For a few teachers it can be cushy but for the majority who want to d a good job it is not. Pay is reasonable to good at the top line – but once you consider the hours worked the hourly rate drops right down

joemarshall
    Free Member

The hours appear pretty good to me. I live within a 200yds of a school and when I work from home, like today they start a considerably later than me and other than the head teacher who I suspect is quite well paid? the others left before some of the parents had driven away with their offsprings.

Except for the other half of the work that is done at home. Teachers get homework as well as kids you know.

Joe

zaskar
    Free Member

I’m quitting reserach to get into teaching-I love working with kids and I was a trouble maker in school-so bring it on Peter Pan!

I’m doing the science degree, PGCE 11-19 not 11-16 as I want to to teach A’level Chem and Biol and GSCE Physics. Maybe do a Phd and become a lecturer or MBA then Headmaster one day.

Anyway it’s fun, it’s like teaching bikes! it’s your passion. And it’s great to see kids do well.

It’s not for everyone and kids can be a pain for some and also loads of marking.

Pay? £28-32K in my area as there is a demand. It’s not £100k but it’s 9 months of fun and then 3 months of riding!

Your Daughter will need A’Levels, degree and then PGCE primary or Bachalor of education then PGCE in primary.

Regardless of experience. They want the quals. My degree isn’t pure Chem so I have to do an extra 6 months of Chem then my PGCE.

Look at the long route and plan it wisely and finacially-don’t get involved or a mortagage or become/make pregnancy as I see these flks go through hell as Uni.

Save cash and more cash and enjoy!

Everyone remembers a great teacher!

Trekster

Oldgit
    My daughter graduated MA Textile Design last year and has nearly completed her PGCE. According to the head teacher the way forward(atm)for teachers of eary years is through creativity. Therefore the previously thought of “soft degrees” such as art are now flavour of the month.

Therefore I would suggest if she likes her arts go for that followed by PGCE. She can do stuff through the arts course which includes research into kids stuff/design etc. Thats how my daughter has done it. She has a joblined up for this summer at a nursery until she gets a job. She already has 2 applications in and promise of work as a supply teacher from last school placement.

Bozza…she has worked in the worst school in the area and the best. At the worst they had a police patrol on a daily basis. Wonder if you can guess which one she preferred?

taka
    Free Member

dont do it… my dads a teacher 😆

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Likewise don’t do it. My sister-in-law is a teacher and is most disenchanted. Main problem is the paperwork, government targets etc getting in the way of actually teaching the children. She’s always working in the evenings and weekends so her hourly rate must be pants. So they get a lot of holidays, but holidays during school hols can cost getting on for twice the price.

zaskar
    Free Member

See a careers advisor?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Get a degree and teach at HE level. No need for teaching qualification and loads of holidays. 😉

If determined to teach younger people, get a BEd rather than a PGCE – to my mind it looks more like a career choice decision than a “what can I do after my pointless degree?” decision…

What do I know though? Did a BEd and then spent 9 years in the Aerospace industry!

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Teacher should be paid more as far as I know and not at present peanut grades.

I am afraid she might have to go via the traditional route of degree and PGCE.

Pay is still shite though but at least stable so long as the school or education is not massively influence by the credit crunch.

chewkw
    Free Member

vdubber67: “Get a degree and teach at HE level. No need for teaching qualification and loads of holidays. [;)]”

LOL! Not anymore. There is an increasing fact that everyone who wants to teach must have some sort of teaching qualification.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My mother was a teacher and she described it as being stuck in a room with 30 aliens yu have to control

Wally

Again don’t do it.
    1) There are not many “normal” teachers you would be happy to spend time with.
    2) Because spending all day with children can make you go gaga and cause you to be unable to hold a conversion with adults without mentally teaching and projecting voice in an annoying loud manner.
    3) The job is never finished.
    4) Very very difficult to appoint a decent bloke.
    5) The “management” jump onto every fad going to improve standards and cause a huge amount of unnecessary paper work.

All my family are teachers – we are definitely described as “a bit odd”

surfer
    Free Member

The “work done at home argument”
    Problem is we cant see it and cant quantify it. Bit like the long hours, weekend work, evening paperwork, out of hours calls etc that many of us as professionals accept as part of the job.

Teaching is hugely rewarding and has benefits that few of us will realise in our chosen careers.

Put quite simply dont go into teaching if you dont see those rewards for what they are, unique.

I can also counter your arguments with the arguments of some of my closest friends who wouldnt do anything else and non of whom complain of long hours or levels of stress greater than one would expect in any career.

Trekster

I know a lot of teachers, I know a lot of policemen, councilors, nurses etc and how many do you think are happy at their respective jobs, happy with their pay & conditions??? My wife manages an office of 23 adults and I guarantee they are just as difficult as any class of kids.
    Right at this moment in my workplace all the old union traits are coming to the fore due to lack of orders/work. Try managing a few hundred disgruntled adults for a living. Teachers probably don

w

m the numpty of the family me I am

kevonakona
    Free Member

LOts of advice etc here (i’m chem teacher retrained after some years of MoD work and PhD). Big question is really is it primary or secondary AND more importantly England(and Wales?) or Scotland? THere are different routes in depending on which country you want to teach in.

samuri
    Free Member

and the school holiday thing means nothing either. Anyone with kids is in exactly the same boat where they have to pay double the normal rate to go on holiday during the school holidays.

If I could stand spending more than ten minutes with the little monkeys it’d be a viable option for me. 60 hours a week sounds great, massive holidays sound even better and I’m assuming you don’t continually get called out at three in the morning to listen to some ranty childish director who is swanning around the states on business class and can’t get his blackberry to work because he’s installed some dodgy golf software onto it.

kevonakona
    Free Member

I’ve been called at odd hours by parents. Mind you it was either on DoE and the kids didn’t want to wake me in my tent in case i got all shouty, or in Egypt when we had a 24 hour delay and they wanted to know if we’d wanted it yet. Yes i fix planes.

jon1973
    Free Member

Oldgit53, are you a teacher then? If you are, I hope you don’t teach English.

porterclough
    Free Member

fyi

BBC story about accelerated entry to teaching

also, I think it used to be the case at least that it is only the state system that insists on PGCEs, private schools were happy to take good graduates and train them up themselves, don’t know if this is still the case.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Independent schools can take people without PGDE (well they still can in scotland) but are being “encouraged” to make sure all teachers are registered, and to be registered guess what you need to have.

VanHalen

my wife loves teaching and gets paid nearly as much as i do

and she doesnt work any more hours than i do.

(or did before she had the baby)

midlifecrashes

I recruit primary school teachers, shortlisting and interviewing. In the real world there are some obvious cases of “what the heck can I do with this useless degree, let’s do a PGCE” people. If that’s what the CV says to us, they’ll not get shortlisted. Someone else might have done the same degree, but had a background of school volunteering, and maybe other childcare work. Nobody will be penalised at primary for having an odd degree, provided it’s something they are enthusiastic in, and have followed it up with a good solid PGCE. Good GCSE and A levels count, and we don’t honestly see many straight A students, they’re either not going into teaching, or not applying to challenging inner city places like ours.
    Would want good english, maths and science at GCSE at the least, and would question whether childcare studies at college is really a good preparation for a good degree course. If it could be done in tandem with at least two good A level subjects, then yes. B. ED or similar will certainly give a better grounding than PGCE. Good science degree after good As, decent PGCE and she’ll have no trouble at all getting a job. We check criminal records of course, but also google/facebook/bebo etc, some people have quite a revealing online profile and anyone even slightly dodgy gets that taken into account.

Primary teaching is certainly more formulaic these days, what with the national constriculum, SATS, phonics, Assessment for Learning etc, etc but fortunately most of the above are based on proven methods these days, and their rollout has definitely seen better attainment in classes. However it means that there is a lot of assessment of lessons going on. Luckily it hasn’t taken all the fun out of it. The holidays are good, all teachers get a half day a week away from the classroom for planning and assessment, and NQTs get another half day. Money is decent to good. (ours is a cheap town to live in) There are quite a few ways after the first three of getting up the ladder too, and senior teachers, deputies and heads are well paid. Good luck to her.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Getting into teaching Advice please’ is closed to new replies.