Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Getting into running; now knee pain…
  • v8ninety

By ‘getting into’ I mean reeeaally embrionically, I’m six runs in. I’m using a couch to 5k type program so don’t think I’ve over exerted, but I’ve literally never done running before since enforced cross country at school put me off, 20 odd years ago.

Now I’ve got some pain in my right knee joint, not agony, just above a niggle really, and it’s worried me a bit. I’ve had pain in the souls of my feet, ankles, calves and shins which I’ve put down to being totally unused to this sort of movement, and have just eased afterwards, but this, whilst not as painful as those, just seems different and ominous.

Should I stop till pain free or just MTFU and gently run through it? Irritating as I’m still motivated to continue at the moment.

rocco

Where on your knee is the pain? Is it whilst running or afterwards? What are your shoes like and are you stretching afterwards?

deadkenny
    Free Member

That’s why I don’t run. Really bad for knees.

Used to get issues in my teens though that was due to teen growth. I since get twinges that feel like it did back then if I over stretch the knee, though I rarely run. Mainly get it if I run up some stairs.

While cycling is obviously moving the knee a lot, it seems less damaging as I guess there’s limited impact on the knee. Guess it will wear out eventually. Skiing has nearly knackered the knees too, but that’s from being in a whiteout and not seeing the ground or which direction I’m going, hit a ditch and legs twisting.

Anyway, I’d be careful with MTFU. Knee damage can be long term and potentially costly (time off work, etc)

craigxxl
    Free Member

Shorter stride reduces knee pain

bikebouy
    Free Member

Be careful.

As a cyclist you’ll be reasonably fit cardiovascular wise, but there are plenty of muscles not used in riding that are used running.
    If it’s sore now, I’d say don’t agrivate it or it’ll be a couple of weeks before you get back running. Head for the woods and trail run, much slower and technically interesting, then walk a bit, run a bit etc. Etc.

shermer75
    Free Member

You might need to strengthen the muscles around the knee before running much more. ‘Running through the pain’ is not a good idea.

Twodogs

Really bad for knees.

Utter tosh

v8ninety

Pain is below and towards inside of knee, and kind of feels inside, rather than superficial. It’s NOT agony. It came on during a run, but has been present to a greater or lesser extent since (three days now), worse when I get up in the morning, not agrevatated by cycling, just enough to make me adjust my gait initially when getting up to walk. Twisting actions seem to make it twinge as well.

Shoes are adidas kanadia trail runner type shoes that I already had for multipurpose shoes.
    Thanks for comments so far.

alpin
    Free Member

I had this the other day…. On Thursday I did a 8km on-off run/walk and then a 8km walk back.

Outside of my right knee was stiffer than a stiff thing. The sole of my right foot, too. Was hobbling around yesterday like a cripple. Couldn’t straighten my leg, couldn’t really bend it, either. Lots of Deep Heat and Volteren gel. Went to bed and the pain in my knee had disappeared.

Strange.

The pain in my foot is still there.

And all this despite having my run analysed, my feet measured and then spending 108€ on some rather garish funky Nikes.

Need my bike back.

dovebiker

If it’s anything except muscle pain, don’t run. Ease yourself in gently and don’t attempt to overdo it. Life of a running shoe is only about 500 miles, so something you’ve worn a lot for leisure use may a bit worn out.

bigdean

I reccon it’s taken me nearly two years on off try to run. Would get to 20mins and something would ping then 6 weeks off. Have finally managed 5k this year and had to vary stride to just even muscle use. I’ve found that i had to realy focus on lifting knees other wise you drift to running on calves and that would just strain them.

6 months running now and managed sub 30min 5k which am pleased about. Plus bikeing to park run and biking back is ok as a workout, legs are probably strongest they’ve been for a long time.

nixie

Shorter stride equals less impact. I think 160+ steps a minute is the sort of region you want to be in. I’m tall and used to think taking big strides was the right way. Have improved loads since I stopped doing this.

thecaptain
    Free Member

180 steps per min is the number I’ve seen. Which seems ridiculous for a tall slow person like me but I made a lot of effort to get used to it and have not had any major injury problems in several years of increasingly hard running. As others have said, it’s important to start gently and build up slowly.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

IT band info

This saved me a lot of time, money and pain.

Still running!

Flaperon

That’s why I don’t run. Really bad for knees.

Bollocks.

Things that’ll help…

1. Increase your cadence. Doesn’t matter if you’re doing comically short strides. Aim for 180 steps per minute or greater. This will limit your bounce and simultaneously force you to land on your mid foot, which will place forces through your knee correctly.

2. Check your shoes. If they’re old and knackered, change them. Ignore gait analysis, just get ones that feel comfortable.

3. Get someone (preferably another runner) to watch you run. Many new runners have a slow, long, bouncing gait which looks weird, slows them down, and leaves them prone to injury.

Enjoy it (probably not to start with but you will eventually…)

leffeboy

Getting your cadence up to 160 ish or higher does seem to help. I think one of the things it does is stop you landing with your foot in front of you which means you woukd always be braking

Rockape63
    Free Member

Interesting comments bout shorter strides/ increased cadence. I’ve given up running due to knee problems and my Orthopaedic Surgeon was extremely sure that running is bad for knees. Once I stopped they improved considerably, but occasionally do the odd run, so will perhaps try the shorter stride and see how it goes.

thecaptain
    Free Member

well I think it’s certainly possible to hurt your knees running. However doctors aren’t really the best people to ask about the risk as pretty much by definition they only see the people who injure themselves and don’t have any idea how many more do not!

sockpuppet

I agree with the high cadence, but it takes a while to establish. Plus, if you get fit and fast you can maintain your cadence and form without over-striding if you’re on a high cadence.

The thing that worked for me, starting running last year from essentially zero running (all riding) was focussing on avoiding a heel strike.

*Very* hard on calf muscles, especially when coming to it from riding. I was doing just ten minutes running a few times a week to learn the new gait and get my muscles up to it, but I’ve eliminated my heel strike. Sort of mid foot strike, but it’s so much easier on knees. I can now maintain that easily for up to an hour.

Be careful (if it works for you) when you up the time/distance: when I went too far and got fatigued I lost my form and the was nowhere! Had one run where I noticed the heel strike creeping in: I stopped and walked home! Btw: walking takes ages!

chrischim
    Free Member

For me high cadence and warming up properly has solved the knee problems I had when I first started running. Also only increase distances gradually.
    Running without a bit of walking followed by very slow jogging first still gives me the sort of knee pain you are talking about but then my joints are a fair bit older than yours…

Caher

I still run and have ostioathritus in one knee. Albeit short distances and soft surfaces. Knee swells up if do nothing knee swells up if I do something.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You have a bike.
    Why would you run anywhere?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It gets better, I thought my knees were shot from years of kneeling at work, and then from having Guillain Barre syndrome, and the effect of my altered gait. I had to wear a knee support in my first year of running as I was getting so much pain, however 4 years after, and my knees are fine. Everything else hurts instead though……….:)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Utter tosh

Bollocks.

Humour bypass going on here 😉

Though it’s probably bad for the bollocks too 😛

All said, I stand by it from own experience and a number of others who are grumbling about their knees from running, but that’s just anecdotal.

Digby

Pain is below and towards inside of knee, and kind of feels inside, rather than superficial.

Mmmm, I highly recommend making an appointment with a *Sports* Physio.

If you are following ‘Coach to 5Km’ then it is unlikely to be an ‘over-use’ injury. Some physios now offer ‘diagnostic ultrasound’ which can pin-point injuries and damaged tissue.

Getting it looked at early will save you pain and frustration in the long run (see what I did there).

The physio will assess the situation and give you some tailored remedial treatment as well as strengthening exercises, routines and stretches* etc and then monitor your progress.

*Yes, I’m aware that there are some STW forum members who are vehemently opposed to stretching, but I tend to follow the advise of professional athletes and health care providers over angry middle-aged blokes who work in I.T. 😉

stevextc
    Free Member

I used to run everywhere …. decades ago I did lots of distance and fell running but i can’t do it anymore due to knee/hip/ankles….

I did a short 2 mile run a couple of months ago from necessity …. (it was actually all uphill to the registration for a race and my kid was riding and I was running)

Other than being totally knackered … I had a whole week of joint pain after….
    My shoes were not the best but it was only a couple of miles

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Getting into running; now knee pain…’ is closed to new replies.