Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Getting Hope Pro 2 end caps off
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

I'm going to have my first go at servicing my hope pro 2 rear hub this evening.

One thing I'm a bit worried about is getting the end spacers off without making a mess of them.

Do they *really* just pop off, or does anyone have any thoughts / tips on the best way to get them off without marking or bending them?

(I've watched Hope video BTW)

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Pull like **** & they'll come off (usually)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use two screwdrivers to lever them off

foxyrider
    Free Member

have you got a vice? clamp on the hard outer and pull the wheel up?
    Otherwise:

alaric

Had to take the off one of our bikes the other week – it is that easy! I used pliers to get a good grip, with a bit of rag to stop the jaws making a mess, came of easily.

They aren't actually a very tight fit, they rely on the o-ring seal to hold them securely when the wheel's out.

Unlike the older XC hubs, the pawls and springs are retained, so they don't fly off across the workshop as you take the freehub out!

Alaric.

scuttler

I love that Hope video bloke's definition of a gentle tap. The reassurance of British over-engineering.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Thanks, yes I do have a vice – I was thinking that would squash/deform the cap? I'll try then, with some bits of protective rubber.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just make sure your gripping the silver bit on the outer part of the cap not the alu QR part or the balck part as above 🙂 That bit of metal is very hard 🙂

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Clamping in the vice and pulling upwards did the trick. I tried "walking" the caps off as recommended elsewhere but that didn't work too well. An almighty yank did the trick.

Getting the freehub off was another story. It certainly didn't just pop off like on the Hope video!! I did the 2 pence piece trick as seen on youtube. I would add if anyone tries this to LEAVE THE CASSETTE ON. Otherwise when you try and undo the lockring you'll have nothing to grab onto to stop the freehub spinning. I learnt this the hard way..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Getting Hope Pro 2 end caps off’ is closed to new replies.