Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Getting fit for an Enduro
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I know there are lots of variables involved but do you reckon it is possible to get fit for an 8hr enduro within the space of a month? I am not talking race winning fit, or even top 50 fit, but enough to complete it and not disgrace myself.

Generally my riding pattern is road bike after work 2-4 times a week (a high intensity, hilly 10-15 miles) and a decent length mtb ride at the weekend(normally around 3-4 hours).

I_did_dab
    Free Member

If I could fit that much riding in between work and family, I'd be fit enough already. 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

That sounds like a decent amount of riding already. I do a similar amount and did the Brechfa Enduro last year (not sure what event you have in mind). I came 60th out of approx. 110 and i lost about 15 places due to a puncture 👿

I was pleased with me effort but could have been abit more fit i reckon. I didn't find the distance too bad, it was far more than any other ride i've ever done in the past! I think i could have done better in my fueling efforts, something i need to look more closely i think.

I reckon mixing in some other types of exercise would be good, if just to make a change from cycling all the time. Swimming perhaps?

uplink
    Free Member

You've already got a good bit of fitness so I'd up your work rate for the first week & then go even harder for the 2nd
    then start tapering

nickc

Get in the longer rides, make sure you're properly fed and watered beforehand. No riding the week before

peachos
    Free Member

No riding the week before

nah, balls to that. it's only an enduro!

miketually
    Free Member

You're already fit enough.

D0NK

No riding the week before

Yeah, I tried that for hit the north (my first race) what a waste of perfectly good potential riding time. No riding 2days before and no epics 5/6 days before, other than that get as many big rides in as you can.

shedfull
    Free Member

I'd say you don't need to worry about your fitness but you do need to work on your endurance a bit and maybe extend your weekend rides by a couple of hours at least over the next couple of weeks so you're riding for 6 or 7 hours.

In the weekend and week before, do no more than you're doing now.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry about fitness, but concentrate more on making sure your bike 'fits', you've fluid/food sorted and that you've the right gear on.

TBH I don't do anything special, except double-padded shorts!

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks.

the-muffin-man

Can you extend your mid-week road rides to 30 odd miles for a couple of them? Flatter but faster speed.

IME you'll get more benefit from that than adding an hour or so to your weekend ride.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Getting fit for an Enduro’ is closed to new replies.