Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Getting fit again
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

After a year working abroad and getting very little riding I suddenly find that I will be back in the UK with quite a lot of spare time on my hands. Hopefully I will get another job soon but fancy a couple of weeks just relaxing at home with the wife and riding a bit locally.

Hopefully I will get fitter and lose some weight in the process. What is the general opinion about cycling to lose weight – fast and furious for short periods or slow and steady for long periods.

Lack of fitness prohibits fast and furious for long periods.

alexxx
    Free Member

Just get out and do it, people (myself included) talk too much about what to do instead of just doing it… don't kid yourself, eat healthy and exercise lots.

variety is good so swimming as well if you can be bothered.

I try to do a 30mile ride 1x a week, a few 10 mile rides also which I push hard on as its only a short distance (all road bike)

also do a few outings on the dialled alpine mainly jumps and sessioning sections so not much actual riding but its more short and sharp bursts

doing that and eating well seems to be toning me up well and it doesnt feel like a chore

Id probably do a bit more (aiming to be out every night or spare hour in the day) but im building a pump track at the moment so thats taking up a fair bit of time

If you feel out of it fitness wise, I'd suggest doing some 20 / 30 milers and then in 2 weeks time your body will be back up to pace and you can fit more stuff in, remember water and recovery is importiant

also dont scoff tons of food because youve just done 10miles, more like a brew and an a piece of maltloaf 😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

BBB – depends where you are (rural or urban) and what you like.

For a "turbo" fitness drive, I'd trail run as well as ride but also do some home based weights/circuits.

No scientific basis whatsoever but I really do feel that a few weights (or bodyweight exercises) a couple/few times a week really helps keep the muscles conditioned, your joints strong and gives you more power.

Those that do nothing but cycle are often fit for cycling but it's not a very "rounded" fitness. I know some really good riders that almost keel over after a mile of running. Or a short swim.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I'm in a simialr position, and am just glad to do any riding that I can.

A couple of years ago I found spinning classes (indoor cycling) at my local gym to be an effective way of getting fit & loosing weight, balanced around family life & a really busy worklife. Incentive was paying gym membership, having an instructor to keep things very structured, ladies in skimpy gym kit getting very sweaty……

The classes I attended were based around resistance rather than out & out leg speed, the instructor herself used to call it indoor cycling rather than spinning, and on the odd occasion when another instructor took a lesson & did "proper" spinning, all leg speed & no resistance, then it can make a difference.

I'd do 2 or 3 spin classes per week, and then a longer "endurance" ride on road bike once a week at a weekend of up to 100km or so.

Drac

I've found the plan of getting a CX bike and riding to get fit has helped, I did a 100+ miles the first week of getting it and helped massively on my next jaunt on the MTB. Was back into tackling climbs and started not be too far from the fit bods, gone are my days are being at the front but they may return.

I've hardly got out the last week or so though thanks to work and this weekends schedule may be full so not likely then either.

warpcow
    Free Member

I'm in a smilar position. Just a month ago I really started upping my weekly rides from 1-2 a week to 4-5. That usually includes 2 longer, slower, more technical rides and 3 shorter, faster ones. I've definitely noticed an improvement in my fitness levels and lost 6kg to boot. I'm probably doing about 150km a week on the MTB, plus another 20-30km commuting to work (part-time, hence the spare time for the 'real' stuff). I always try to fit in as many hills as possible, even it it just means a fireroad or tarmac on the transit stretches to and from the trails.

I guess the moral of that is just get out and ride 🙂 (though spinning classes are quite tempting since my better half joined a gym and wants someone to go with her).

tails
    Free Member

I haven't read the above comments but I reckon cycling is naff for losing weight, I find running best.

saying that Bradley Wiggins appeared to lose a lot of weight between his track days and Tour de france last year.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Can't run because of fcked ankle

Gary_M
    Free Member

East less – ride more, forget about heart rate training zones to shift fat just get out and ride.

nickc

As above. Eat less than you think you should, learn to love feeling hungry, learn to ride more than you think you can.

You'll soon be a) skinny and b) fitter than you are now.

Philby

Answering the OP's question the accepted theory is that longer and slower is better for losing weight (although in true STW fashion someone will come along to dispute this). As above also suggest some other form of exercise to help with the rest of your body – swimming, weights or circuit training are good. Also be sensible about food and booze.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I love riding, do lots at the minute, have done less. However, i find that it does nothing for weight loss, as you need to fuel the rides or you crash and burn. Appetite control is the key, and if i have a massive ride, i just want to eat after. I'm on the Primal Blueprint and its working wonders though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Philby – Member
    Answering the OP's question the accepted theory is that longer and slower is better for losing weight (although in true STW fashion someone will come along to dispute this).

It's clearly not accepted at all!

I'd advise the old cliche – "just get out and ride" and have fun with it, any sort of miles will help at this stage. You may want to be wary of over-doing it though.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ride eat less, ride eat less…works for me lost 4 1/2lbs this week doing just that, had a 3hr mtb ride Sunday 2hr roadie ride Wed 1hr ride Thurs and probably 1hr tonight, also eating less bread and sticking to healthy meals.

warpcow
    Free Member

However, i find that it does nothing for weight loss, as you need to fuel the rides or you crash and burn. Appetite control is the key, and if i have a massive ride, i just want to eat after.

Since I've been riding more, I find I actually don't need to eat as much as I believed I did before. I can ride 4 days in a row with no change in my previous diet, and on the rides I've found I don't need a Snickers, etc halfway round like I thought I did before. Controlling the post-ride urges is hard though. I usually just have a big glass of chocolate milk and wait until dinner. If I have to go to the store for any reason the snacks are pretty hard to resist.

jon1462
    Free Member

(Swift)I love riding, do lots at the minute, have done less. However, i find that it does nothing for weight loss, as you need to fuel the rides or you crash and burn. Appetite control is the key, and if i have a massive ride, i just want to eat after. I'm on the Primal Blueprint and its working wonders though.

Its all about the i!! Seeing as I had nothing better to do with my time, bit like you earlier, I thought i'd have a little look at something other than the classifieds. Found this very interesting comment about getting fit. Just thought I would point out that your punctuation is not quite right.
    Good luck with your weight loss.! 😉

tony24
    Free Member

lost 3 stone since December cycling and just choosing healthy options over all the crap i was eating cycling can get you thin 😀

deep_river
    Free Member

I concur with all the above. I used to be a county standard runner, and that was when i was at my fittest. Now a few years older with a few more injuries under the belt I cant take the running as seriously as id like. But this means I can ride my bike more.

As most have said the best way to lose weight initially is to just get out ride regularly, and watch your diet. Sure, have a beer on a saturday night, but dont overdo it. Watch the diet and be consistant. Again as said above running is the best and quickest way to lose weight, but not as much fun as biking. Try to fit 3 40 minute runs in a week, and after 1 month I think you will feel the benefit.

1. Not too much too soon
    2. Be consistant
    3. Watch the diet (ie booze)
    4. Have fun and try to stay motivated.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Getting fit again’ is closed to new replies.