• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Getting back to normal after a broken ankle…
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

Well as I wrote the other day I broke my ankle running on Monday. The broken bone wasn’t too bad apparently ( the one at the back?) and the surgeons will allow it to fuse naturally. I had ligament damage also which has been pinned and plated for about 3 months. I’m not weight bearing for 6 weeks.

Got out of hospital yesterday and now recovery time at home. I know what I’m going to do with my time at home, besides rest and recuperation I’ll keep my mind active and use the time wisely, but I do want to get back on the bike and run again in future. I’m a naturally outdoor person.

The surgeon said there’s no reason why I can’t do everything I can do again in future, just give it time, but just wanting to hear any real life stories of folk on here. I don’t want to be able to run marathons ( not yet!! ) or ride the length of the country, just get outside and enjoy my bike and fitness etc.

So I’d be obliged for some of your similar experiences and maybe suggestions to keep me occupied. Besides sh*te TV!

Cheers

SI

Dibbs
    Free Member

I broke my ankle on a solo evening ride on the Quantocks a few (8) years ago, I was in plaster for 6 weeks and could’t work for another 6. It was really weird when the plaster came off, because I couldn’t remember how to make my ankle move.
    I never regained full movement in that ankle (not sure how much of that is down to me not doing enough physio) and it’s still aches in certain weather conditions.
    I spent an awful lot of time laid on the sofa watching Sky, including every episode of the Original Star Trek.

redstripe
    Free Member

Ask WCA on here for broken ankle stories if you want to both feel sick and enlightened.

Did my left one 18 months ago, still not 100% but can do most things again apart from had to switch from a manual to an auto vehicle, which I now much prefer. Good luck in recovery.

Ps – sadly got into shi*e TV Salvage Hunters and Wheeler Dealers when out of action, at least not Jeremy Kyle

spawnofyorkshire

Dislocated my left ankle 12 years ago (inc. ruptured Achilles) and then did all the ligaments in my right ankle 3 years ago.
    Running leeds half marathon on sunday

I got piss poor physio after the dislocation and I’m now working with one to correct things all this time later.

By the sounds of it you’ll be ok on the the other side, but just take your time and build back into things. Make sure the physio side is covered, even if it means paying for it yourself

Did the dislocation playing rugby at uni on the weds afternoon. Four nights in hospital and surgery later I was back in uni on the monday morning and probably only missed 6 lectures in total. No Cash in the Attic for me on that one

poolman
    Free Member

I broke my foot 6 years ago and spent 2 weeks on the sofa I was so bored.

Since then I have swum most days started pilates last year and go to physio evey week.

I live in Spain so warm and dry but when in UK cold and humid it still hurts a bit. At least it’s not a head injury.

Good luck get down the pool

johnx2
    Free Member

broke one and very badly sprained the other falling down a cliff by malham cove, about ten years ago.

In a cast for six weeks or whatever’s usual. I was cycling with the cast on I’m afraid. Had a northumberland hol booked and did a few easy road and gravel rides, and some easy hilly rides. But I am officially an idiot. Ask anyone. Longer term no probs at all.

ifra
    Free Member

I fractured mine around 10 years only minor but had quite bad ligament damage. All good now but it did take 3 rounds of physio, the last session was around 14 weeks worth and was what sorted it for me. Whatever the physio gives you to do or tells you to do make sure you do it and more

Greybeard
    Free Member

Something active you may be able to do is swimming. I had my ankle pinned and plated, and once the skin was properly healed, even before I could weight bear, I could swim, which got the muscles going again. You’d need to check with your physio whether it would be OK for your specific injury. I could also walk on the bottom of the pool at a water depth enough to support whatever fraction of my weight I couldn’t bear on it.

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve had the same injury last week. Ankle was dislocated and then pinned and plated. No weight bearing for 6 weeks and then told to expect another 6 weeks of limited movement with full on physio. Physio said to make sure that I did as much physio as possible as soon as cast is off as he reckons that whatever movement you have at 3 months out from cast being off is the maximum you can get (!).

I’m interested in the swimming thing though, normally not a fan of swimming but if means I can exercise I’m up for it. I also thought about doing some one legged stuff On the turbo just to keep moving, just low spinning stuff.

Of those who have had theirs pinned/plated, were you able to go back to being clipped in on the bike? I ride flats on MTB but road clips on the road bike which are pretty tight.

taxi25
    Free Member

Broke mine 25 yrs ago, it needed a screw to hold the bone in place. They were doing clinical trial using disolvable screws at the time so I chose that option. As above I rode my bike with my cast on. I could jog about 3-4 wks after that was removed, but it was probably 12 mnths before I had total confidence in the ankle.

skids
    Free Member

I never got full movement back in mine, it bends a certain amount then just locks and hurts like hell, i can walk fine but if i stand on a loose slab that can really hurt. I can;t play football or anything that requires change of direction quickly. Mine was a pretty bad break, clean thru not just cracked

julzm
    Free Member

Mine was a full break – complete dislocation of all bones, foot hanging off leg sort of thing. Skin unbroken though.

Still early days, only did it last weekend but desperately trying to stay positive and focus on a good outcome so want to do everything I can to maintain fitness and strength but give it the best possible chance of healing fully.

Heard from a few people that swimming can be good for it so will give that a go once cast is off at 6 weeks. I’ve got private health cover through work so will try for sports physio through that but any advice that others have after a similar break would be appreciated.

This is the first day that I’ve felt human again after it (pretty bad reaction to morphine etc) but still need to keep it constantly elevated as pain is too much otherwise. Back at hospital again tomorrow.

MarkE25

Hi Julez, I broke the bones on both sides of my L ankle and split the joint on the outside of my leg playing football about 17 years ago. I still have pins and plates in both sides, but have made a pretty full recovery. I had to do a lot of physio and it took probably about 2 years to get the balance back so that I was confident to mountain walk over crib goch etc again. Still cycle and run frequently, although running has been curtailed by itb issues that may stem fr my ankle I think. No problem running long distances off road in the past though. I found the turbo good once I was out of plaster (as long as you’re careful getting on off). Just used an easy gear to spin away. Good luck recovering

julzm
    Free Member

Thanks Mark. Was thinking very low resistance on turbo and swimming just to get moving again. Set myself a target of back on bike in August so need to keep focus on that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Getting back to normal after a broken ankle…’ is closed to new replies.