Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Getting back on the bike after crash/injury…..
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

:mrgreen: BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz :mrgreen:

What a fantastic ride last night! It’s been just over 2 months since I stacked it hard over the bars on a sketchy downhill, flew 4-5 meters away from my bike and fractured my shoulder. In the past week I had done two 6mile local loop rides that were both pretty much flat, all fire-roads and pavements.

Last night 4 of us went out on the bikes with me leading, initially I just wanted to do a slightly longer local loop keeping on ‘safe’ terrain.

The weather was BEAUTIFUL, a sunny evening of 21degrees, riding in shorts and t-shirt and the bike feeling smoooooth after a gold service. 😀 Feeling good, setting the pace and leading the group we got to a certain turning and without saying a word my bike decided it wanted to go play, left we turned and off into the fun stuff….

15 miles of hills and singletrack, a beautiful sky as the sun set, a little rain storm that cleared the air of any humidity and that gave us a double, yes double rainbow that meant we could see all 4 ends touch the ground from the top of one of the hills 8)

It feels so good to be back on the bike, I even found myself saying things like “It’s so good to be back on top of you” “I’ve missed you” and “Oh god I love you” to the bike when I pulled enough of a lead to know that nobody could hear me 😆 (which was pretty much all the time… it appears my riding buddies have been taking it easy whilst I’ve been off the bike!).

BUZZZZ 😀

It’s good to be back… hopefully it’ll continue to get better as I received confirmation of my annual leave request for a Jedi day in August!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Best post I’ve read on here in ages. The joy of actual riding. Wonderful.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You riding at the weekend?

I could come and visit and remind you of all the rules of riding, point out your faux-pas and foibles whilst demonstrating my exemplary understanding of appropriate etiquette.

Sound good?

x

philconsequence
    Free Member

which days best for you dude? i’m up for either day… in fact… i’ll set up a group message on ye old facebook and hopefully get torm involved too 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Saturday… hopefully I’ll have a new bike to play on 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Good stuff Phil, I hope the shoulder was trouble free.

New bike Yeti? Is it a Yeti?

philconsequence
    Free Member

new bike?!?!?! FS/HT? reverb?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nope… I hate Yeti’s!

Although if someone wants to send me a 2011 575 I’ll see if I can change my opinion.

It’s a FS… it’ll take my current reverb, HT will get shorter travel forks. If you can get hold of a shim for the weekend you can borrow the reverb?? Or just borrow the HT?

lowey

😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

yeah shoulder felt ok 🙂 rode some sections of singletrack with the forks locked out and was thinking ‘dear god i dont remember my bike feeling this bumpy and rigid! i need a FS’….. then after getting a little bit of air at the beginning of a section that’s essentially a short pumptrack i noticed that my forks didn’t compress when i landed *lightbulb!* my forks were locked still from a hill 30 minutes ago haha.

so even though i rode a couple of the roughest sections of singletrack from that ride with my forks locked my shoulder felt ok during and after the ride 🙂 must keep up with looking after it though!

doubt i’ll be able to find a 0.2mm shim by saturday…. what size frame is the HT? 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ve been off the bike now for almost 6 weeks, two broken metacarples in right hand, . . . I’m longing for my moment like this, but going to be another couple of weeks yet I should imagine . . sigh!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Umm.. it’s a 16″.. I think. I can bring it down. Or put the reverb on the other bike… or.. or…

philconsequence
    Free Member

bring it along… no harm in trying it out, if i dont fit on the bike then at least i can test the reverb out around the block then get back on the fury before hitting the woods 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow – its a great time of the year to be getting back out there 🙂 fingers, toes and nuts crossed that you heal quickly, and heal up well!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

bikes are great, aren’t they?
    good post phil. exactly what this stuff is all about.

philconsequence
    Free Member

will try and get a photo of the double rainbow sent to me 😀

TheFopster
    Free Member

Did my collar bone and ribs six weeks ago. Did a short road ride on Saturday and was similarly blissful, and that was before I get back to doing some proper riding. Another few weeks before doc clears mtb – can’t wait…

molgrips
    Free Member

*lightbulb!*

Phil, earlier:

younggeoff

Excellent post, dislocated my shoulder just under 3 weeks ago, really missing riding any of the bikes. Hopefully back on the bike and shoulder ok for off road stuff by the time we head to the lakes in august but will have to wait and see. Weather last night was ideal for riding round our way too, c’est la vie 🙂

billysugger
    Free Member

Cool post.

Been off for 3+ months. Back probably in the next week

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeah

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers everyone, when i first joined the forum i had literally only just taken up riding after a 15 year gap, so every ride had that buzz, i would write up excited, buzzy, enthusiastic posts…. only to be told i had too much youthful enthusiasm 😆 so i kinda stopped writing up the special rides.

molly… thats exactly what i had in my head when i typed ‘lightbulb’ 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I fractured my wrist 8 weeks ago, and I’m thinking of getting back on the bike this weekend.

Before fracturing my wrist I had only really just got back in to biking having not really being bothered about it for 3 or 4 years, so looking forward to getting back out again.

I will be taking it easy though on the advice of the Consultant and Mrs FD who both said that bones do not properly heal for 12 weeks and if I come of it would probably fracture again straight away!

TheFopster
    Free Member

@FunkyDunc
    Getting same advice from Doc and Mrs Fopster – 12 weeks before behaving as normal. However, as risk of a break on the road bike is so low I have started a few gentle bimbles around the local lanes on the road bike as a first step. Advantage of six weeks off a bike is that even a road ride is great!

jedi

phil,
    see you soon then 🙂

mrsconsequence
    Free Member

Molgrips YES on the lightbulb!!

It was a blooming good ride!!! Having all the weather and forest smells made it even better! We were all buzzy afterwards. I was surprised at Phil suddenly hitting single tracks and drop offs (that I was hesitant of – I blame the car accident), would appear he wasn’t as fearful as he was making out! The shoulder breaking hill looked sketchy from the top though…

dyna-ti

I was off the bike for about 3 years following a bad fall,im finding it hard to start off again :?,so much of my fitness is gne and its hard to gain anything back

Best of luck in your endeavours 😀

billysugger
    Free Member

First short ride today on a new Five I ordered 3 weeks before a bone graft on my arm. It was ready the day after my op:(

Been regrowing/recovering/stretching for the past 12+ weeks(8 in plaster) only to get the green light from the consultant this week.

Badly bruised my heel a couple of weeks ago which I still can’t walk on properly so I’ve been the proverbial bear in pain this last 2 weeks, can’t even walk the dog so to get out today even for a steady hour was magic.

Whenever you’re mid injury, totally down in the dumps you should never forget your day will come again and some people’s won’t.

Enjoy your weekend peeps

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Getting back on the bike after crash/injury…..’ is closed to new replies.