Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Getting back into biking….. Any tips
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

OK, so I’m 43 now and used to ride “ok”. What I mean was I could turn my hand to DH, XC, days out in the saddle having fun.

I’d worked hard at jumping and could manage 5foot drops without blubbing.

But then I got married and my (now ex) wife made me stop riding, saying it was selfish.

I’d really like to get back into it, but I’m struggling.

I’ve put weight on while being married and I’ve lost all bottle in terms of jumping. Also most of my riding mates have given up riding and I feel a tad self-conscious going out with groups as I’m a big sweaty mess on XC rides and as jey as they come on anything serious.

I know lose weight and practice are the obvious answers. But it’s difficult with no riding buddies. I guess I’m struggling with motivation.

I still love being out on the bike – but I like long rides and stopping to watch the wildlife. But I’d also like to exorcise my marriage somewhat by getting a little fitter, stronger and faster on the downhills and jumpy stuff.

Any tips?

Oh, and I hate modern art 😉

norcbot
    Free Member

Go ask the people in your LBS. Most of them will know where to ride or people to ride with. We have loads of people ask us. Just go to the places where there a lots of riders, we always end up riding with the sameone difrent.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Now if you happened to live in the South Lakes….

Sounds pretty familiar, although the ex wife didn’t stop me riding, but I did get burned out by the marriage and lost the will to do anything.

Erm – I have no real suggestion other than stick a post up saying where you live and hopefully find some new riding buddies (mine moved to South Australia, which was damn inconvinient… and I moved away from all the rest… should really heed my own advice!)

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmm,

The LBS suggestion is a good idea BUT is one of my issues. I used to know the guys in the LBS fairly well and had ridden with them. But I’m kinda embarrassed now to go back there – cos I’m fatter and more useless then I was then.

I live in Stevenage which is pretty useless for riding. There’s Herts shore nearby (where I have ridden) but I’m way off being able to do anything like that again. Or Chicksands is nearby I guess.

It’s just a bit dull.

Perhaps I should post a lonely hearts ad:-

Fat useless git seeks similar……

norcbot
    Free Member

There are loads of people that ride Epping that is nearish to you. Thats where we ride most of the time. Your welcome to come ride with us. There are mixed abilaties out all of the time. Im the slowest at the moment but you only get fitter and faster riding with fitter and faster people.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Don’t be self conscious about being unfit or out of practice. It’s all about the love. Get out to some trail centres, organised rides, stick a post up on here! Just get out on your bike!!

jedi

drswank, you rode herts shore??? talk to me

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Yes Master Jedi. I did ride Herts shore – you were there 😉 It was loooooong time ago though.

Scared the living bejesus out of me mind! LOL!!!!

Epping ain’t a bad idea – is there a club?

jedi

dont worry about what you could do or have done. ride in the now and enjoy the wind in your face and the sounds of the trail. bikes rock

senorj

Have a visit to Thetford ,Woburn , Chicksands.
    All are easily doable for day trips.
    I went to Swinley from work on Sunday ,it took 1hr15 to get there.
    The Chilterns are also an hour away.
    Cannock Chase 2hr15 !I know , I “work” in Stevenage. 😉
    There are all kinds of B,ways cycle ways ,cheeky bits etc around Herts.
    Build your fitness up a bit then approach the bike shop if fitness is a worry.
    But if you knew them well they’ll understand circumstances change.Besides they’ll want to make money out of you! 🙂
    You’ll get the weight off in no time.
    Have a look at a map.

Best of luck.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have been off the bike for a 3 years or so as I have had too many things going on in my life, luckily my wife has been trying to encourage me to get back on it.

Anyhow what I found was that in a sense I got bored of biking and lethergy for it is a great mental block to getting back on.

Whats done it for me is deciding to do Mountain Mayhem again for the first time in about 5 years.

Its giving me the motivation to get out again and get fit. To help I have bought a turbo trainer too, as unfortunately working long hours and a 10 month old son I cant go out for long rides too often.

The first few weeks getting back on the bike were awful, I couldnt even ride and had to push up some hills, I didnt realise how painful saddles are, it hurt like hell, and I felt knackered after being on the bike or trainer. Its this stage that is hard to get through, however now I am starting to get some fitness back, I can ride the hills (just) and the pain goes quicker and I recover quicker. I’m starting to get the buzz back and actively thinking when I can next get out rather than thinking of excuses not to.

Maybe post on here that you fancy doing Mountain Mayhem, or some other team event. Many people are quite happy to have an additional team member. It will get you motivated as you will want to get fit and not let them down.

VanHalen

best thing i did when i got biking time back was to book a week in the alps on a organised group ride thing.

you`ll be suprised at what you can still ride after a break. you just need to get familiar with a bike again.

soobalias
    Free Member

just riding will make you want to ride more

sounds like one of your first fears to overcome is that trip to the LBS – go in bold as brass and say “look at me, this isnt the me i used to be, im making a comeback, help me”
    take drinks and biscuits and a fully loaded credit card

globalti
    Free Member

Get a road bike. It makes you lots fitter than an MTB, you come home clean and you can ride from home so fit in rides much better with family life. Best thing I ever did, TBH.

norcbot
    Free Member

There is probably a few clubs over epping. But there is loads of groups of people over there too. I most riders are happy to talk bike to anyone that will listen (i do all the time which helps promote the shop we have opened near by too). Ride the mud now and you will be flying round in the summer.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

I guess the problem I’ve got is embarrasment of not being as good as I was (by some way!).

My GF has been encouraging me to do the Megavalanche – and, to be frank, it does scare me some. 5 years ago it would have been easy, but now I think I’ve lost a lot of that skill.

I guess I need to do some secret training, get a bit thinner and fitter and then try to reconnect with some old riding mates.

frogger
    Free Member

DrRSwank, don’t waste a second thinking about how you used to ride and how unfit/fat you are now. I too visited Hert’s shore a couple of times before (hello Jedi, remember a loud South African from a few years back? :D) and then 3 years ago totally lost my mojo for all things MTB’s after a bad experience in Verbier.

I gave it all up and have been riding dirt bikes for the last 3 years but this year got a new bike and I am about to get back into it big time. As Jedi says, bikes rock, just get out and ride. 🙂

Pic below is me, unfortunately don’t recall photographers name but he took some stunning photo’s and got this one of me just prior to launching off Ronseal on my first day there published in Dirtrag. I too will take some time getting rid of the enduro fat and to build back up to riding bigger stuff but I look forward to every minute of it.

jedi

frogger, i remmeber you well 🙂

VanHalen

if it wasnt scary it’d be boring… but maybe thats just me?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Getting back into biking….. Any tips’ is closed to new replies.