Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting a road taken off sat-navs and google maps
  • skiprat
    Free Member

I work for a waste company near Leeds and we have 2 entrances. The land we are on is private and there has never been a road with vehicle access running through it.

When you look on google maps or use a sat-nav, they both show a route through.

Is there anyway that you can get this removed? Who would we ask?

The main thing we want to stop is the chance of some car speeding round a corner and mowing our lads down or plowing into a 30 tn dozer . We have signs up saying what we are and that its not a through road but because it comes up on a sat-nav people choose to ignore them.

Any ideas?

Flaperon

I find the M25 an intensely annoying road and would like it removed from Google Maps. Think you’re asking the same sort of thing… it’s public information; it’s like trying to copyright the colour blue.

leffeboy

As above for Google maps. They seem to be quite responsive (I got something added in a couple of days). Also go to Openstreetmap.org, create a login, zoom in to the road in question, edit and reclassify the road in question. Lots of the free maps that people have in their phones are based on the Openstreetmap data.

wwaswas

The land we are on is private

If it’s private with no public right of way then no reason for it not to be removed.

What does it show as on an OS map?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@skiprat – let’s do a test, give us a couple of post codes and we can see if our Sat Navs route us through there.

I strongly suspect the various Sat Nav companies “buy in” the maps as it were. You may find you just need to address this with one or two people.

Why not just put up a gate ?

EDIT: BTW great login name !

jca

I strongly suspect the various Sat Nav companies “buy in” the maps as it were.

Apart from Apple…they just make it up…

skiprat
    Free Member

@jambalaya – tried it on google and on AA route finder and it plots the route straigh through the yard. Theres even a road shown round the back of the site that you wouldn’t get a car down.

Lifer
    Free Member

skiprat – Member
    Theres even a road shown round the back of the site that you wouldn’t get a car down.

Get google to route people round there

bigjim

there is a road that appears on google maps and obviously on tomtom or other sat nav near my parent’s house on the Black Isle. In reality it used to be a little farm/forest track, and is now so overgrown you could barely get a tractor down it, however for a while artic lorries would turn up to it and get stuck for hours trying to turn around.

spooky_b329

You may be able to update it but you will have problems for years to come as there are a lot of sat navs users that do not have lifetime (or even limited) map updates. Ours has a lifetime update thing but the utility on the computer has been reminding me every week for the last 9 months that there are newer maps and my wife still hasn’t got round to bringing it into the house from her car and plugging it in!

Get a barrier put in that lifts automatically when you drive up to it…it’ll slow your trucks down and all the sat nav users will turn around before they get to it 🙂 (and still get it removed from the mapping, obviously)

markrtw
    Free Member

You may want to investigate http://www.navteq.com/. I think Navteq supply a lot of the maps that are on the sat nav units. They have a problem reporter – http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en#find

Lifer
    Free Member

Or install a toll both:

You’ll be ahead of the curve then

CountZero

Apart from Apple…they just make it up…

They get their data from Openstreetmap…
    …oh, and TomTom.

munrobiker
    Free Member

it’s like trying to copyright the colour blue.

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/klein-ikb-79-t01513/text-summary

(summary: apparently, you can)

The most obvious thing is a sign saying “Ignore your satnav- dead end” and that’ll cut out 99% of the problem with a few numpties left.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Big Sign – Nudist Camp, Please pull over and leave ALL clothing in shed before continuing.

Next Big Sign – Hygiene Point, Please sponge all body parts THOROUGHLY in cattle trough before proceeding

Next Big Sign – Men and Fat Biffers follow road around back of site, fit birds just come on in.

onehundredthidiot

Seen a blue “offical” looking sign not dissimilar to this:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Getting a road taken off sat-navs and google maps’ is closed to new replies.