Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Getting a phone contract, with bad/ non-existant credit history
  • HansRey

Moving back to the UK in just over a week, after 5 years overseas. I’m looking at getting a phone and contract, but I’ve found out that my lack of UK credit history makes it unlikely. Before moving emmigrating, I was a student without credit cards, mortgage, bills to pay, etc.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Are there any networks/ companies i should look at? Or ways to prove that I am able to satisfy a phone contract?

—-
    Giffgaff are supposedly relaxed with those who have poor credit history.

Cougar

PAYG?

skids
    Free Member

giffgaff is payg, i presume you want an expensive phone as that is the only reason to get a contract these days so you can spread the cost. maybe look at a personal loan from your bank or a credit card with 0% purchases will probably work out cheaper than the contract

mattyfez

3 do one month rolling contracts..probably don’t need good credit might be worth a look. No phone though but could build credit score .

Buy A cheap tesco payg phone and save up for a better handset.

Get a “bad credit” credit card..use it for normal expenditure and have a direct debit pay it off in full every month.

HansRey

i’ve got a payg already, but it’s expensive. In 2 weeks, I can get through £25. Little bolt-ons (e.g. buy 200mins) can help, but I’d prefer to not have to micromanage it. Also, PAYG doesn’t improve my credit score. The cost of the contract or the phone isn’t a problem, but getting the contract seems to be more difficult!

mattyfez – thanks, I’ll have a look at 3 and the one-month contract. What is a “bad credit” credit card?

welshfarmer

I have a non-existent credit rating, as I discovered on Experian after being turned down for a contract phone contract. Their loss. I will stick with PAYG with my massive spend of about £30 a year. There are tricks to get a credit score but ICBA’d to jump through hoops just to show I can get into debt.

tmb467
    Free Member

EE might offer you one with a deposit – they refund it after a few months once you start to pay bills.

Need to be on the electoral roll tho and have an address they can check. Utility bills will help

nick1962
    Free Member

Why get a contract when the giffgaff £20 a month SIM deal gives you unlimited calls,texts and data?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Getting a phone contract, with bad/ non-existant credit history’ is closed to new replies.