Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Germans drive on the right….
  • bugcab
    Free Member

But do they also brake on the other side? Took delivery of my new xt brakes from rose bikes but they are set up the wrong way round. Right is rear and left front. Is this the way the rest of Europe brakes or just a c**k up?

grum
    Free Member

Yup that’s the way the rest of Europe brakes unfortunately.

Never done it on Shimano brakes but it shouldn’t be too hard to swap them over.

moniex
    Free Member

as grum says….when hiring a bike in the alps it is always best to ask them to swap the levers, just in case.

BTW it is not the ‘rest of europe’ that is different 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Is it the same as driving sides? The continent are the other way round to us, driving and brake levers, same with the Yanks.
    Do the Aussies andthe japanese have the brake levers the correctway round, as they also drive on the correctside of the road?
    Do the Italians go which seems like a good idea at the time, same as with driving?

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s the reason behind this? Personally, I like having the most important brake in my dominant hand.

zokes
    Free Member

Do the Aussies andthe japanese have the brake levers the correctway round, as they also drive on the correctside of the road?

To my knowledge, Oz / Kiwi bikes are set up the British way

hugor
    Free Member

To my knowledge, Oz / Kiwi bikes are set up the British way

British bikes are set up the Australian way with the front brake on the right. 😉
    I believe this is so you can rear brake when turning right and indicate with your right arm.

spooky_b329

Hugor is correct.

Canada and presumably America are the ‘wrong’ way as well.

Do they swap the clutch and front brake on motorbikes?

thepodge
    Free Member

I believe British motorbikes used to be the opposite way round.

Pretty much everyone now used the standards set by the Japanese

Lummox

Have my bikes set up ‘wrong’, rear is right, front is left gear and brakes. Makes sense to me, also a secret security device- tea leaf grabs a handful of front brake and kapow!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow. High thinking from M15 these.

alpin
    Free Member

the only people i know here in germany that ride with their brakes UK style are those that also ride a motorbike.

one of my mates had to have his elbow stitched together when he tried to manual my bike. just as i said “becareful the bra…..” he flipped the bike and hit the deck.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What’s the reason behind this? Personally, I like having the most important brake in my dominant hand.

Brake set-up is down to which side of the road vehicles travel on. When a bike has to pass on the right of another vehicle, the front brake will be right so that the rider’s right hand can signal; and vice versa. It leaves the other hand to control both the brake and the steering: it’s easier to steer and brake at the same time when it’s the rear brake being operated, so the rider is in greater control whilst signalling.

Andy-R

thepodge – Member
    I believe British motorbikes used to be the opposite way round.

Pretty much everyone now used the standards set by the Japanese

No, British bikes always had the front brake on the right – it’s the back brake/gearchange that used to be the other way round (brake on left, gearchange on right).

mjsmke

In cars, however, the brake pedal is always to the left of the accelerator pedal.

kayak23

I run my mountainbikes normal way, with front brake on the right, but my bmx, I have a single rear brake, and its on the right too. Am I normal?

Seems to be the done thing in bmx to have your rear brake on the right, if you have one at all..

thepodge
    Free Member

Andy R. I knew something was different, just couldn’t quite remember what.

Oh and I have different brake setup on different bikes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Germans drive on the right….’ is closed to new replies.