Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • German Campervans…
  • hooja
    Free Member

Has anyone bought, collected and uk registered a van from Germany?
    It looks pretty straight forward, is it? and what is the situation with VAT?
    We have just sold our Mercedes Westfalia camper and we are ideally looking for a VW T4 Westfalia, as I cant find any decent UK conversions around. They are pretty rare over here and I cant find a decent one at a sensible price but in Germany, Holland etc, there are plenty
    Cheers

ElShalimo

If you’re open to other import ideas have a look at the Westfalia Nugget, based on the Transit. There’s a lot more of them around

hooja
    Free Member

yep the nugget is also an option. generally just sold on the Westfalia quality and layout. Still rare to see a decent nugget over here though

pictonroad

I did, it’s easy, you need to sort the German export plates and paperwork, insure it on the VIN and register it when you get here.

Andy at Camper vans 4 u will source you a van if you want a specific model, he can act as middle man or do the whole import.

Westy T4s are really really small but I assume you don’t want model advice. I had a California exclusive that was superb for 2 people.

If you’re taking the trouble to go out to Germany then I’d try and find a Mercedes James Cook, now they’re nice

ElShalimo

hooja – did you sell a Marco Polo or a James Cook?
    Roy Wood Transits in Reading used to import Nuggets. They are worth talking to as they ask for first refusal to customers who want to sell.

welshfarmer

If the van is more than 10 years old it is pretty simple (at least it was when I did it 17 years ago). Back them the DVLA had everything you needed to know on their website.
    Less than 10 years was straightforward too, it just cost more and needed extra paperwork.

hooja
    Free Member

haha, I just sold a James Cook…. Pictonroad and ElShalimo.
    They are awesome but just too big for regular use. Was perfect for 6 weeks in the Alps but no good for every weekend heading out and about and camping out with a toddler in tow. Thats why we are looking for a smaller westy, like Cali exclusive or a nugget

pictonroad

A T4 with a toddler would be hell. I bid you good luck.

Our exclusive was unbearable with kids, just too small and not set up for family use.

hooja
    Free Member

We had a swb t4 before the James Cook and that was fine, so a lwb exclusive should also work for us.
    The JC is just too big, we couldn’t even get it down some lanes on dartmoor and around home in Cornwall. Its like a double decker!

cranberry
    Free Member

I last bought a car in Germany in 2008 – don’t think anything has changed.

Sale done at the local townhall to certify change of ownership and at the same time buy export plates.

Insurance based on VIN until UK number plates issued.

Went to DVLA with the paperwork and picked up the new V5 a day or two later- all very easy in the end.

lorax

I might be selling my 150PS 2003 T4 Freestyle TDi… YGM

ElShalimo

@hooja – SWB Hi-roof Nugget for sale. Clicky
    I stumbled across it looking for something else, no link to seller

Might be right up your straße?

hooja
    Free Member

cheers Elshalimo, sent you a pm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘German Campervans…’ is closed to new replies.