Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • German '%$#&@ bureaucracy!
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

So the day before yesterday we noticed that some nice person had nicked the front number plate from our car whilst parked in front of our house for whatever reason. Maybe a little inconvenient one would think but it would involve going to a number plate station and getting a new one printed. Ah! but this is Germany of course nothing can be so simple. No first I had to go and spend two hours at the Polizei reporting said theft and then armed with the report I am then able to go to the registration office. But still it is not that easy. I have to now unregister the car and re-register at a cost of about 60 euros meaning that I will now have to buy two new number plates as the car has to have a completely new number at a further cost of about 20 euros per plate. The next problem is that there is only one office that can do this for the city and surrounding area and you cannot get an appointment for another two weeks meaning that we are not allowed to use the car for two weeks! Grr! 🙁

nickjb
    Free Member

I would guess they stole the plate to clone a car or some other nefarious deed so maybe just as well to distance yourself from that registration. Maybe you could steal plates from another car so you can drive for the next 2 weeks. You will also be able to speed and park anywhere

fasthaggis

2/10
    No German words used,no upper case,no bold or bad spilling.
    Very poor
    😛

martymac

Does also make you think, you can effectively ‘ban’ someone from the roads for two weeks at a time simply by stealing just one of their number plates. Can you imagine the frothing if that was the case here in uk.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above having nothing further to do with the plate is a good thing. Über frustrating you can’t get a quick / temporary replacement. Rent a car for 2 weeks and claim the lot on insurance – probably not worthwhile ?

alpin
    Free Member

This has happened to a colleague twice with his Munich motor when parked in Berlin.
    First time phoned the Pozilei to report it and they accused him of having driven off without having paid for petrol despite him driving a Skoda and the cctv showing a Mercedes. 😕
    Had to go and prove that it wasn’t him at the petrol station. As you say, you have to spend a few hours reporting it going to the KFZ Zulassungsstelle and coughing up for new plates.

Second time it happened the old bill thought he was talking the piss.

Supposedly happens a lot in Berlin…

Mikkel
    Free Member

fasthaggis at least give him a 3 he did write Polizei

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Get sweet revenge, buy a ninja suit and pinch the front reg plate off every car in the town. 😆

alpin
    Free Member

Friend of mine has riveted his plates on. Might do the same.

Bit of a ball ache if you need to change them, but how often is that?

Yup, German efficiency doesn’t exist outside of manufacturing.

Any dealings with Beamten is a joke. Took me five hours and had to go back to the woman three times when registering my van. That and they all bugger off home at 12 and get a massive pension, private health care…. Grrr.
    No wonder our taxes are so high.

fasthaggis

at least give him a 3 he did write Polizei

Fair point Mikkel,fair point 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

2/10
    No German words used,no upper case,no bold or bad spilling.
    Very poor

I am terribly sorry but I am not a particularly good ranter. 😳

I would guess they stole the plate to clone a car or some other nefarious deed so maybe just as well to distance yourself from that registration.

Quite possibly but why steal only one then?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘German '%$#&@ bureaucracy!’ is closed to new replies.