Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • German
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Why do I find German loads harder than French?

Word order seems baffling currently.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s the capitalisation of all nouns that gets me. Though, I suppose that’s just a rule you have to learn. Perhaps it’s just a bit harder when you’re older ❓

schnullelieber
    Free Member

verstehe was meinst Ich du ja,

Or something.

molgrips
    Free Member

Noun capitalisation helps when trying to pick sentences apart with a dictionary..

molgrips
    Free Member

Es ist sehr schwer.

BigJohn

Because it doesn’t come from the same Latin roots.

Michel Thomas is my favourite language teacher – treat yourself to a set of his cds off Amazon.

But expect Germans (like Spaniards) to puzzle why all these Brits are speaking fairly well – but with a Polish accent

crispo
    Free Member

Du geile sau, from one of my favourite german songs!

RoterStern
    Free Member

German compund nouns are the worse.For example;
    Donau­dampfschiffahrts­elektrizitäten­haupt­betriebs­werkbau­unterbeamten­gesellschaft

SaxonRider

It’s the fact that pronouns decline that always throws me. But then German is a right laugh compared to Ukrainian.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because it doesn’t come from the same Latin roots.

Nor does my native language!

Hairychested
    Free Member

molgrips, your native language smells of petrol and German is beer fueled.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFA-rOls8YA[/video]

mancjon
    Free Member

Why do I find German loads harder than French?

Yep, i did both at school and the word order in a sentence in German is just not what we are used to ie. shoving all the verbs to the end of the sentence.

Not surprisingly failed German o’level and never looked back !

jimmy

Noun capitalisation helps when trying to pick sentences apart with a dictionary

It also helped me understand what a noun actually was. When I was university. Studying German. Which has been of zero use since.

Wieso lernst du jetzt Deutsch? Man kann was nuetzliches lernen, order? Sicher.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Ich bin eine Wellensittich.

molgrips
    Free Member

Jimmy. Ich bin in Deutschland leben jetzt seit sechs Monaten.

cranberry
    Free Member

“Seit sechs Monaten wohne Ich in Deutschland”, no ?

molgrips
    Free Member

See? That’s exactly what I am bloody well talking about!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Leben means live in the sense of being alive whereas wohnen means to live as in live in a house. I think the main problem is that English uses so many words which are spelt the same but mean different things. Also in reverse, trying to translate your sentance back into English is the reason why many Germans would say I have been living in Germany since six months. Hope that helps.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I found it harder than French initially but after a few months found it a lot easier – especially the pronounciation. Be thankful you’re in the south where they’re a lot less fussy about the grammar/pronounciation than the north where they speak “proper” Hochdeutsch. I’ve learnt the local Tirolian dialect here and can barely communicate when I’m north of Bavaria.

Of all the courses/books I used, this book helped me the most with understanding the German grammar:
    Harrap’s German grammar

br
    Free Member

tbh I’ve always found that Germans understand me even though I have the words in the wrong order, no different to someone doing the same in English.

molgrips
    Free Member

Leben means live in the sense of being alive whereas wohnen means to live as in live in a house

Thanks 🙂

I think the main problem is that English uses so many words which are spelt the same but mean different things

That doesn’t really bother me actually. It’s fairly easy to get your head round. Connaitre and savoire, gwybod and nabod in Welsh I think all mean ‘know’ in different senses.

It’s the word order and the unfamiliarity. I suppose I’ve been exposed to French much more over my life.

cranberry
    Free Member

if in doubt, the verb at the end of the sentence stick.

Also capitalise Fifty percent Of the Words.

scaredypants

umlauts to that !

after me,
    ich mich mir mein,
    du dich …

Edit: and “auzgezeichnet” – best word ever

ebygomm
    Free Member

I thought German was easier than French, but then I was still a youngster when I was learning both. Maybe it’s an age thing?

Danish is still a complete mystery to me, whether this is age or the language I’ve no idea.

john_drummer
    Free Member

IIRC from O-level German – I got a B but it was 30 years ago – the verb is usually the second word in the sentence UNLESS it’s a question OR there’s something at the beginning of the sentence that otherwise modifies it, such as “if” or “when” (both “wenn” IIRC – remember, 30 years) in which case at the end it goes.

alpin
    Free Member

Ich bin froh, dass ich nur einmal in meinem Leben deutsch lernen muss. Ätzende Sprache.

jimmy

durch fuer gegen ohne um

aus ausser bei mit seit nach von zu

Tattoo those lines on your eyelids.

chickenman

Jimmy, I think germans will forgive the wrong use of Dative and Accusitive declensions of prepositions in a non native speaker. I lived in Germany for 2 years and found you could make a sound that (if in doubt) could encompass either den, der, des or dem.
    It’s when you try puns in German with 2 very similar words that it gets amusing: You’ll just get your pronounciation corrected! Although a German did once say to me: “Alle Schotton dicht!” which could either mean “All bulkheads are sealed!” or “All Scots are stupid!”. Dude was deff a comic genius (by german standards, of course)..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Die Antibabypille

never forgotten that one

stumpy01

Just don’t go around in the winter saying “Ich bin kalt” or the summer saying “Ich bin heiss” (like I did).

You should say “Mir ist heiss/kalt” – “to me it is hot/cold”.

If you say “Ich bin…” it means you are frigid or randy.

clubber
    Free Member

same in French incidentally, stumpy.. je suis froid, j’ai froid

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘German’ is closed to new replies.